E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners

Thats some serious differences in efficiency,worth havin just for that,id say,
Im starting to get interested in up grading my bomber more speed mr sulu

Here is my latest vid. Found this rather large lake while off roading with my GF and kid. So I knew I had to return and get some footage of the lake aboard my Stealth Fighter.

[youtube]L5CX8ZtdSPw[/youtube]

Rick fine work indeed...captures the essence of riding bikes like these. When I think back, I've seen some of the best scenery and and varieties of landscapes both riding myself and through the lenses of everyone else.

Allex said:
Jimroy, mxus motor is more efficient,
Here is a graph showing a rid WOT, goin up a 10% hill.
5403 has 78% efficiency and will overheat in 20 minutes.
Mxus has 86% efficiency at same setup and will never overheat at this grade.

So according to that graph, using that motor you can double your range? Because you halve your Wh/Km? With the same speed? If so that is incredible??!!

Like the video, how hot is it out there, did you take a dip afterwards?
I hear a lot of buzzing from the motor, that will probably just disappear with a different controller :wink:

Regarding the graph, yes I guess it will be much better but this simulation was for a constant 10% hill. On a flat it could be a little different.
You can play with it here:
http://www.ebikes.ca/tools/simulator.html

It depends on what you want from your bike. 5403 is better for high speed cruising on paved roads.
While mxus, especially 4T is better for offroading - you get better torque and 5kg lighter, perfect for jumping in the woods the bike will feel much more agile with that nible 10kg wheel.
You can also buy 3T version and it will be very similar to 5403, great for high speed but better torque and of course lighter.

The stator and magnet ring of 54xx motors are 42mm wide. Mxus have 45mm so it will give you better torque. Crystalyte on the fighter is 40mm wide.

Anyway, the motor is dirt cheap so the cost of trying it out is peanuts compared to how much the whole bike cost.

Keep in mind with the top speeds, that the simulator doesn't factor in tyre size on top of rim size, so that will add a few Kph.

Also keep in mind that different controllers can give higher top speeds with over speed settings.
I.e. With 12S (45V) LiPo I can hit 72kph with 120% throttle on my Infineon controller using my HS4080.

I don't know what my Adaptto will manage yet, but at OVS 7 I think it might hit over 85kph+ with the same setup. I'll let you all know when I try it.

The other thing to keep in mind is overall system efficiency. A high speed motor might be fun and fast, but it does you no favors for battery life and range as others have said.

Cheers

I managed to repair a punture on my stealth bomber back wheel without removing the back wheel
and i was wondering if i ever need to remove the back wheel to fit a new tube what is the procedure?
does the wire to motor need disconnecting?
what is the full procedure pls as i am a 6 week old bomber novice?
thx
steve

stevebills said:
I managed to repair a punture on my stealth bomber back wheel without removing the back wheel
and i was wondering if i ever need to remove the back wheel to fit a new tube what is the procedure?
thx
steve

Im sure iv answer this one already, check back a page or so steve

Thanks for the comments guys. CD, you are the second person now that told me to expirement with different mounting positions while riding, will look into it. Allex, I did get my feet wet after the ride, Even though the temps were in the 70s, we just recently had a snow storm and that water wasn't much above 45F. So I didnt' actually swim. Will later on this year for sure. Remf, that what I was aiming to do, catch the essence of these machines in their natural habitat. I guess the natural environment could also include road riding, as TV has demonstrated time and time again.

stevebills said:
thx
steve

Steve, I am curious, how did you repair your tube without removing the tire? Did you remove one bead, pull the tube, patch it and put back on, or did you use stop-a-flat?

Nice vid Rix. The fighter looks surprisingly quick and nimble considering your solid build.
And yeah, playing around with mounts definitely makes for better videos but as I posted ages back it can quickly dominate the ride and it ends up becoming a video shooting mission. I try to find a balance between stopping to move the camera around and enjoying the ride.
Hot tip, DIY strong magnetic mounts are great for quicky moving the camera around on the steel frame. It's good on the smoother stuff but big jolts and jumps will knock the mount loose then it's gopro hide and seek time :lol:

Jimboyr6 said:
stevebills said:
thx
steve

Im sure iv answer this one already, check back a page or so steve

I found it thx mate

the punture went down last night and i can get a 26 inch x 3 inch tube locally
will this be okay for a stealth bomber if im carefull fitting it as i no they are 24 inch tires

thx
steve

Get a 19x3.0 motorcycle tube. With just a little air in it and the right technique it'll fit fine in a 24 MTB tire. A standard HD tube is tougher and better anyway. I've got one in the front now.

stevebills said:
will this be okay for a stealth bomber if im carefull fitting it as i no they are 24 inch tires

thx
steve

That's not really a good idea Steve, because the tube will end up with folds in it. For any old bicycle you could get away with it for a while, but on a bike this fast you don't want to take a chance like that.

Emmett's suggestion is a good one. Try finding a 19 x 3 motorcycle tube.

Theodore Voltaire said:
stevebills said:

thx
steve

That's not really a good idea Steve, because the tube will end up with folds in it. For any old bicycle you could get away with it for a while, but on a bike this fast you don't want to take a chance like that.

Emmett's suggestion is a good one. Try finding a 19 x 3 motorcycle tube.

I found that a 80x100/21 non heavy duty tube fits very well. I am currently running that on the front.

@ Hyena and Voice Coils, thanks guys. VC, Yah, riding fast is fun, but as you saw in my video, I hit some brush, and there was a small cactus plant in behind it. I just grazed my shin on it I have been digging broken cactus needles out of my shin for 2 days now :roll: . Check out the pic. Hyena, yah shooting video takes time, and I spent a good deal of time setting up the 3rd person shots, may need to try a super strong magnet mount.

@CD, glad you reposted your vid, got some ideas rolling around in my head.

Attachments

• Cactus needles1.jpg
    Cactus needles1.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 2,333
Ouch Rix. Might be time to invest in some downhill shin guards. Should be a bit lighter than MX ones and not get in the way of pedalling but equally effective against nasties like that. I bought some a while back but rarely wear them. It's a trade off, going for a ride when you're decked out like a storm trooper does tend to detract from the experience, especially with some of the soaring temperatures you get there.

Hyena said:
Ouch Rix. Might be time to invest in some downhill shin guards. Should be a bit lighter than MX ones and not get in the way of pedalling but equally effective against nasties like that. I bought some a while back but rarely wear them. It's a trade off, going for a ride when you're decked out like a storm trooper does tend to detract from the experience, especially with some of the soaring temperatures you get there.

I'm thinking you are right, some lightweight shin guards would be smart. For some reason, it burns and itches like a mofo today. Figures. Well its worth it for the fun I had riding. :mrgreen:

Back