E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners

Theodore Voltaire said:
Emmett said:
Teddy, sorry if this is a dumb question, but what do the bar end tassels actually do? I suppose they'd keep flies off your forearms. Good in the Outback.

They have several important functions. Swatting fly's is only one of them. Their main job is to act as a kind of hypnotic decoy to divert attention away from the rest of the bike in case one of the local constabulary might get the wrong idea about thinking he just saw an illegal, unregistered moped going 50 mph down the street, right before his lying eyes. At the same time they stealthily allow me to fly my freak flag in the face of conformity, in a world of uptight yuppie's, hipster's, and rednecks. Or maybe it's just cause like them LOL.

Its funny, and I am laughing my a$$ off, but its also not funny, because its true :lol: :?

Allex said:
I have been tinkering about Air Cooling for Our Bomber motors. Still not Final but here is the idea on the Intake(cold air in) holes.
More details here:
[?id=150406[/img]

Allex, Dr. Bass recommended venting with holes drilled close the center on one side, and towards the edge on the other side. Reason is this creates a low pressure when the bike is moving and air wants to rush in and equalize. I have used this drill pattern on several motors, the motor heats up almost the same rate as non vented, but when going down the road at speed, the temperature drops much more quickly on the vented motor. I noticed this tendency after I vented my 4080 on the Fighter.

Attachments

• AirMod.jpg
    AirMod.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 3,125
Rix said:
Allex, Dr. Bass recommended venting with holes drilled close the center on one side, and towards the edge on the other side. Reason is this creates a low pressure when the bike is moving and air wants to rush in and equalize. I have used this drill pattern on several motors, the motor heats up almost the same rate as non vented, but when going down the road at speed, the temperature drops much more quickly on the vented motor. I noticed this tendency after I vented my 4080 on the Fighter.

Thx Rick I just made one side(right) I will do the left, disc brake side today :)

Theodore Voltaire said:
Allex said:
Yeah but the manin thing, when they ask how fast it is and how powerfull - what do you say?

When that question comes up, and it has more than once, I always answer the same way. It's electronically limited to the legal limit officer. This is a truthful statement, my bike is limited to the legal limit. I just don't turn it on very often, but they never ask about that. :roll:

In Germany it doesn't metter if it is has some limitation setteings or not. If bike can ride faster 7km/h without pedalling you need to have insurance and plate number *(but you will not get one for stelth in Europe without technical certification), and with speed over 25 km/h you need to have driving licence for scooter. Still waiting for "happy letter" from the police.

Artur said:
Theodore Voltaire said:
Allex said:
Yeah but the manin thing, when they ask how fast it is and how powerfull - what do you say?

When that question comes up, and it has more than once, I always answer the same way. It's electronically limited to the legal limit officer. This is a truthful statement, my bike is limited to the legal limit. I just don't turn it on very often, but they never ask about that. :roll:

In Germany it doesn't metter if it is has some limitation setteings or not. If bike can ride faster 7km/h without pedalling you need to have insurance and plate number *(but you will not get one for stelth in Europe without technical certification), and with speed over 25 km/h you need to have driving licence for scooter. Still waiting for "happy letter" from the police.

For a country so renowned for making speed machines, the German state loves to shit on any attempt at a fun time.

Went out for my second ride tonight. Much, much better with 'soft start' enabled. No mistakes this time :)

Thought I'd make you guys a tiny tour of London. Filmed from my Chesty GoPro strap.

[youtube]S6rqmvIUkCg[/youtube]

Nice ry, Looks like you've got the hang of riding your bike already. Now how about riding over to Abbey Road, and lets have a look around there?

Theodore Voltaire said:
Nice ry, Looks like you've got the hang of riding your bike already. Now how about riding over to Abbey Road, and lets have a look around there?

I can give it a go, but I think you'll be underwhelmed :p

Theodore Voltaire said:

Here is a LIVE view if you want one though ;) http://www.abbeyroad.com/crossing

Quick Q by the way. Is there any way of stopping the cycle analyst from resetting the clock after each charge. Really can't be arsed setting the time every single day.

ryrideswhat said:
Theodore Voltaire said:

Here is a LIVE view if you want one though ;) http://www.abbeyroad.com/crossing

LOL, I see what you mean, it looks pretty dead over there. Must be the off season.

To the London Stealth rider - just be careful not to mow anyone down or you'll cause a change in the law. Take care!

ManxE said:
To the London Stealth rider - just be careful not to mow anyone down or you'll cause a change in the law. Take care!

It's not legal as it is lol. Very considerate of pedestrians. Even stop at Zebra crossings, aye.

SamM said:
I've never been stopped either. But I did have some interesting looks, when going fast the first time I had the Fighter on the local trail. I've tried to tone it down somewhat since then. Nobody really even notices me now and I ride with a Moose Racing MX helmet and Oakley googles. The key is petaling. As long as I am petaling, people think it's a bicycle and nothing more.

SamM
Been stopped twice. First time I got a flat and I called CAA, and then a cruiser stopped near me and two officers walked towards me with there hands near their revolver. Apprently someone reported me with my exact description. They asked about the bike and I told them it was an ebike. The second time was last week. Cops waiting for me at a bridge deep into a forest. Freaked me out how a cruiser was on the trail. They asked me if my bike was a dirt bike. A woman who was walking her dog the day before reported me...and this is after I dismounted to let her pass on the bridge. Other times just followed. ..I pedal all the time! Now that I wear the Oakley Air Brakes...way more attention.

Theodore Voltaire said:
SamM said:
It's too bad they don't make anything for the Fighter. I'm not crazy about a lot of it but a kickstand would be nice.

SamM

You ain't got no kickstand? What 's wrong wit you?

hey theodore all good?
how good are those kickstand? do you recon they are strong enough for jumps and stuff?
any chance to show us a picture with the kick stand up ? cheers

proper159 said:
SamM said:
I've never been stopped either. But I did have some interesting looks, when going fast the first time I had the Fighter on the local trail. I've tried to tone it down somewhat since then. Nobody really even notices me now and I ride with a Moose Racing MX helmet and Oakley googles. The key is petaling. As long as I am petaling, people think it's a bicycle and nothing more.

SamM
Been stopped twice. First time I got a flat and I called CAA, and then a cruiser stopped near me and two officers walked towards me with there hands near their revolver. Apprently someone reported me with my exact description. They asked about the bike and I told them it was an ebike. The second time was last week. Cops waiting for me at a bridge deep into a forest. Freaked me out how a cruiser was on the trail. They asked me if my bike was a dirt bike. A woman who was walking her dog the day before reported me...and this is after I dismounted to let her pass on the bridge. Other times just followed. ..I pedal all the time! Now that I wear the Oakley Air Brakes...way more attention.

What a cow. The MX goggles are a bit flashy, but they do a good job. The way I see it is that you can go out, have fun, wear what you want and deal with the off situations that might occur, or you cam reign it all in and reduce your chances of being stopped, but wear less safe stuff and have less fun doing it (all the time.)

I am riding NYC several times a week. I am very careful on the aves but i also choose my routes carefully to avoid cops. I try to look like a bicyclist. I only wear gloves. No lights. Nothing flashy. I am the never stop pedaling type. I am careful when I run a red. I am more likely to do it if the are others running with me and there are plenty. If I stop for a red I stop back away from the intersection. I always use a car on one side and sit on the frame witn my leg up on the pedal so my thigh blocks most of the frame on the other side. Ive never had a problem but i would not stop if the NYPD wanted to talk.

Artur said:

7 km/h, that's screwed up. That's like 4 mph, barely faster than walking speed. What nincompoop thought of that? But even so, if you're pedaling at the time, and they see you going 30 km/h, how do they know if it's the motor or you?

That's actually about the same as here, except the law says 30 km/h (20 mph) under it's own power on level ground. If I'm riding over 30 km/h, as long as I'm pedaling it's impossible to tell if it's the motor, of the rider. 80 km/h might be a different story though. :roll:

ryrideswhat said:
Went out for my second ride tonight. Much, much better with 'soft start' enabled. No mistakes this time :)

Thought I'd make you guys a tiny tour of London. Filmed from my Chesty GoPro strap.

[]

Very awesome vid RY! London is a neat place for sure, I wish I would have spent more time touring London when I was there. Looks like your riding your machine better. Doesn't appear that you have an issue with going fast, just starting off. How much difference is it with softer accleration setting?

Samer said:
hey theodore all good?
how good are those kickstand? do you recon they are strong enough for jumps and stuff?
any chance to show us a picture with the kick stand up ? cheers

Here's a close up of what I did to make it fit. I fabricated the flat piece, which is the back side of the clamp. As you can see it's just a straight piece of metal, with 2 holes drilled in it. I also made the small piece of metal on the right. All it does is take up extra space in the clamp, because the clamp is a little wider than the swing arm. I glued gasket material inside the clamp so it wouldn't scratch the paint.

The swing arm itself is robust, and the spring that holds it up is very strong. This stand is made for an assortment of different off road motorcycles, so it's been engineered to handle the stresses of off road riding. I guess if you fell off a cliff or something it could accidentally deploy, but I doubt that will ever be a problem for most people. When the stand is up, it touches the axle bolt, so I put a piece of rubber around it.

Another thing I like about this stand is, it's far enough back that it doesn't foul the pedals if you roll the bike backwards when it's deployed.

WATERPROOFING

I can only assume the new Stealth bikes are better insulted because there aren't many places the water seems able to get in. The underside has a few holes in it, and I taped some up and put some zip locks on each of the wires to encourage water to fall off.

The only place I'm actually surprised by is the back. A huge, gaping wire port. I put some Gorilla Tape over it- which is very strong and waterproof so should allow any water to travel over the port not inside it. Not a very sexy solution. Wondering if I can find something that looks built in.

IMG_1444_zpsbc498cf7.jpg

Theodore Voltaire said:
Artur said:

7 km/h, that's screwed up. That's like 4 mph, barely faster than walking speed. What nincompoop thought of that? But even so, if you're pedaling at the time, and they see you going 30 km/h, how do they know if it's the motor or you?

That's actually about the same as here, except the law says 30 km/h (20 mph) under it's own power on level ground. If I'm riding over 30 km/h, as long as I'm pedaling it's impossible to tell if it's the motor, of the rider. 80 km/h might be a different story though. :roll:

You don't know the half of it. The EU is completely swamped with committees who pontificate about nonsense regulations. In Britain, it's even worse, as old statutes overlap these. Here is an excerpt from a Wiki entry:

In the United Kingdom, e-bikes are classed as standard bicycles providing the motor's maximum continuous rated power output does not exceed 200 W for bicycles, 250W for bicycle tandems (i.e. two seaters) and 250W for tricycles,[33] and cuts out once the bike reaches 15.5 mph (24.9 km/h). It must also be under 40 kg (88 lb) for a bicycle, or 60 kg for a tricycle.

Riders must be at least 14 years of age, but no driving licence is required.

Despite the more recent EU directive and standard, the UK’s[34] Electrically Assisted Pedal Cycle Regulations 1983 (SI 1983/1168) have not been rescinded and still apply. These require that the motor has an average power output limited to 200 W (250 W for tricycles and tandems), weight limited to 40 kg (60 kg for tricycles and tandems), and a maximum speed when power-assisted of 15 miles per hour (24 km/h). For electric cycles meeting these requirements, the vehicle does not require registration or periodic road worthiness assessment, and operators do not require a licence or insurance. (Operators must be at least 14 years of age.) However, since 2006, when Statutory Instrument 2935 brought EU Directive 2002/24/EC into UK law, vehicles that don't meet the EU definition of an electric cycle have required type approval. This overlap of requirements has certain effects, as described below.

The following features of an EU-definition electric cycle are not legally available in the UK:

upper power outputs between 201 W and 250 W on bicycles
maximum speeds between 15.01 mph and 15.53 mph'
weights above 40 kg for bicycles and 60 kg for tricycles and tandems
The following features of a UK-definition electric cycle make a vehicle subject to type approval:

the application of motor power without use of the pedals
the application of motor power without progressive reduction to zero at 15.53 mph (meaning that at the maximum UK speed of 15 mph some residual supply of power is permitted)
There are no known cases of enforcement of the requirement for type approval. This could be because compliance with type approval is declared when a vehicle is first registered for use on the road, and UK-definition electric cycles are exempt from such registration by the 1983 UK regulations.

Thank f*ck they don't enforce these. Most pedal bikes in London are easy doing 20/25mph anyway.

I commend you ry, it's good to know the laws we're breaking LOL. Obviously the electric bicycle is an invention of the devil, and must be cracked down upon.

They can get away with that crap when there's not many electric bicycles, but now that electric bicycles are starting to become popular, bs laws like that will have to be changed, or it will cause insurrection, or even worse, someone might not get elected again. That's the key. Here in the u.s. they've tried to pass a lot of draconian laws for motorcycles. Motorcycle rights groups have banded together, and started campaigns both to get people elected, and unelected, and guess what? It works, we've beaten back the worst laws. It hard for them to even get a helmet law passed now without stipulations. Also it's all about the money. When there's big money in electric bicycles, laws will be changed that stand in the way.

I think in time electric bicycles will be even more popular than motorcycles, and there's power in numbers. I'm not against regulations though, just unreasonable ones.

Back