e-scooter Controller

LadyBug

1 µW
I need to replace malfunctioning controller on Joyer X5. The description on the controller are :
48V, 17Amp, 500W. The only replacements seem to be:
48V, 17A, 350W; or
48V, 20A, 500W.

(Joyer UK has one, but they won’t ship to the USA).
Which controller would be a safe replacement or is there a more compatible controller? I really would appreciate advise.

Attachments

• IMG_2143.png
    IMG_2143.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 6
Any controller that is the same or less current, same voltage, and has all the same wiring as the original, with the same features, would be "safe".

If you use one that's higher current it may cause problems with your battery, since that will be designed for the lower current of the original controller.

If you have a display on the system you'll probably have to replace it with the one that comes in a kit with the new controller (they're not usually intercompatible).

If you have specific features of the scooter you want to preserve, you'll need to make sure the new controller has those / works that way.

If there are things your scooter doesn't do that you wish it did, now might be the time to make a detailed list, to see if they are something you can get with a simple controller swap (or if it requires more parts).

Not knowing exactly what features your system has, and which ones you want to keep vs which ones you don't care about, I can't point to any specific controller replacements.

Also, I moved your thread out of Ebike Build Threads forum to Standup Scooters/Skateboards since that's what comes up in an image search for Joyer X5 and there's no other info about it in your post other than that it's an e-scooter (not an ebike, and not a build, but a repair).

If the 48v 17a 350w option matches your current controller for input and output connections go for it..

It will be identical to any 48v 17a 500w option power-wise..

Watts are calculated by multiplying Amps by Volts (W=V x A) so 17 x 48= 816, granted its an oversimplification taking no account for friction and losses to heat etc but indicates regardless of the motor attached the controller can deliver upto 800w of power to the motor on demand.

Fwiw i use a 17a controller to power my '250w' cycle rear hub motor fine.. All the watt rating on a motor really says is that the manufacturer is content it will run continuously when supplied with whatever its rated at. however when i want to go uphill i am very grateful for the extra watts the controller can pump out when needed..

Any controller that is the same or less current, same voltage, and has all the same wiring as the original, with the same features, would be "safe".

If you use one that's higher current it may cause problems with your battery, since that will be designed for the lower current of the original controller.

If you have a display on the system you'll probably have to replace it with the one that comes in a kit with the new controller (they're not usually intercompatible).

If you have specific features of the scooter you want to preserve, you'll need to make sure the new controller has those / works that way.

If there are things your scooter doesn't do that you wish it did, now might be the time to make a detailed list, to see if they are something you can get with a simple controller swap (or if it requires more parts).

Not knowing exactly what features your system has, and which ones you want to keep vs which ones you don't care about, I can't point to any specific controller replacements.

Also, I moved your thread out of Ebike Build Threads forum to Standup Scooters/Skateboards since that's what comes up in an image search for Joyer X5 and there's no other info about it in your post other than that it's an e-scooter (not an ebike, and not a build, but a repair).

I really appreciate your sharing your knowledge with me.

If the 48v 17a 350w option matches your current controller for input and output connections go for it..

It will be identical to any 48v 17a 500w option power-wise..

Watts are calculated by multiplying Amps by Volts (W=V x A) so 17 x 48= 816, granted its an oversimplification taking no account for friction and losses to heat etc but indicates regardless of the motor attached the controller can deliver upto 800w of power to the motor on demand.

Fwiw i use a 17a controller to power my '250w' cycle rear hub motor fine.. All the watt rating on a motor really says is that the manufacturer is content it will run continuously when supplied with whatever its rated at. however when i want to go uphill i am very grateful for the extra watts the controller can pump out when needed..
Thank you so much for taking the time to educate me with your knowledge. I really appreciate it.

Back