• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

E-Scooters vs E-bikes

Dunno watt to make of this... the LA Skatebike:
LA-Skatebike_2010.gif

http://www.laboardroom.net/skatebike.html

"These BRAND NEW LA skatebikes have got to be the BIGGEST craze to sweep the UK this summer. The latest electronic technology combines skateboarding, scooter riding and stunt biking."

24V 250W 13mph

"Leaning into the turns to gain extra speed and sliding the back of the board out for excellent "power slides".

...then when ya click to Shop Online... response is "There are no products to list in this category."...

Shipping info says UK and appears as UK site but corporate address is Hong Kong...

tks
Lock

I wonder how difficult it would be to control a power slide. RWD slide control is more intuitive yea.. but who knows FWD could be a hoot to slide around too.

Found another scooter feature I haven't seen before... for Kinders!
View attachment Kindertransport.jpg

...although in my experience the decks for the Currie-built scoots have plenty of room to double up... I can see this same design of fold out "pedals" installed further up the upright, under the handlebars, designed as fold out bag holders (`steada hangin' the groceries on the handlbars directly...

tks
Lock

I've been thinking about trying some pegs on the rear so that I can go more prone to reduce wind resistance on open road conditions? Interesting?

Ykick said:
I've been thinking about trying some pegs on the rear so that I can go more prone to reduce wind resistance on open road conditions? Interesting?
AFAIK stand-ups have the worst aero on the planet :)
Dunno if using pegs to help you lean into the air would make much of a diff... On the Currie scoots I can sit down on the deck and still reach the bars to operate. Had one day years ago that really drove aero home for me w/a head wind that was almost stopping the scoot in its tracks. When I sat down the scoot immediately picked up speed again. Stand up, slow to almost a halt... sit down, speed right up... stand up... etc... It made a huge diff reducing frontal area.
So pegs/leaning fwd will help some I guess, but not sure I'd want to sacrifice any mobility or increase any chance for a foot to slip off.
Lock

Lock said:
Ykick said:
AFAIK stand-ups have the worst aero on the planet :)
Dunno if using pegs to help you lean into the air would make much of a diff... On the Currie scoots I can sit down on the deck and still reach the bars to operate. Had one day years ago that really drove aero home for me w/a head wind that was almost stopping the scoot in its tracks. When I sat down the scoot immediately picked up speed again. Stand up, slow to almost a halt... sit down, speed right up... stand up... etc... It made a huge diff reducing frontal area.
So pegs/leaning fwd will help some I guess, but not sure I'd want to sacrifice any mobility or increase any chance for a foot to slip off.
Lock

Hey Lock - I've done the squatting thing before and in fierce wind it certainly helps. Firm believer that powering stand-ups much above 25MPH is a waste of battery capacity. I like standing-up though because you can see and be seen better than most bicycles and if things get bad you might have a chance to jump & run!

The main point of these things (besides being a helluva lot of fun) is getting to/from work among large crowds of pedestrians while sometimes sharing roadways with cars/trucks. 25MPH certainly helps equalize the latter while standing-up makes joining pedestrians as easy as stepping off the deck.

What to call 'em though? I heard someone remark as my wife passed by on her 26" syand-up "Hey look, a no-pedal bike!"

Great stuff...

Ykick said:
Hey Lock - I've done the squatting thing before and in fierce wind it certainly helps. Firm believer that powering stand-ups much above 25MPH is a waste of battery capacity. I like standing-up though because you can see and be seen better than most bicycles and if things get bad you might have a chance to jump & run!
Dunno about your `hood but in mine (Ontario) they are still illegal (Feds deem them RUM - restristed use motorcycle) so Ontario deems these off-road only... no roads or sidewalks... So being seen has it's downsides sometimes :(
But most of the time I am lost in traffic and buried behind parked cars and in pedestrians and at a glance (eg from a police cruiser) I expect I just look like another pedal bike... I have been stopped more than a dozen times - lost count - but never been given a ticket or had the vehicle confiscated.
About seeing... not sure this isn't a bit of an illusion as when I compare head height w/folks on pedal bikes it seems very similar. I do think it's easier to twist around for a look behind when you can twist your whole body rather than just from the waist up as when seated...

Yah, when I mention jumping off the reaction on ES is often NO WAY at 30mph... but I don't travel at nearly these speeds most of the time. Sub-20kph is do-able in an emerg... Rather chance a tumble like this than a collision w/a three ton vehicle/pedestrian/cyclist/whatever...

The main point of these things (besides being a helluva lot of fun) is getting to/from work among large crowds of pedestrians while sometimes sharing roadways with cars/trucks. 25MPH certainly helps equalize the latter while standing-up makes joining pedestrians as easy as stepping off the deck.
This is watt I have found surfing sidewalks... 99% empty of foot traffic out in the suburbs, where it's easy to slow down 1% of the time. Downtown w/lots of peds around I kick at inline skate/skateboard speeds. Lots of other folks on blades and boards and I don't see folks having much problems w/this sort of traffic. Truth is, when the US CPSC studied kick scoots and pedal bikes and boards and blades they concluded pedal bikes and kick scoots are MUCH, MUCH safer than inline skates and skateboards... well DUH!

Even w/crowded downtown pavements, there are numerous opportunities eg side streets to hit the electric go button w/nobuddy around...

What to call 'em though? I heard someone remark as my wife passed by on her 26" syand-up "Hey look, a no-pedal bike!"
Great stuff...

The Euro folks that ride and race the adult kick scooters term them "foot bikes"... I usually like to lead off w/that term then qualify right away w/ "an adult kick scooter with power-assist"... and point out it's faster getting around town than rush-hour traffic and public transit.

"Scooter" is pretty ambiguous of course... "kick scooter" everbuddy gets...

But I like foot bike `cause folks tend to think of kick scoots as kids toys. True in their experience, but doesn't have to be so. "Foot BIKE" uses the "B" word, which sorta softens the Shock of the New:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Future_Shock

Funny, for such a sharp guy as Toffler, he completely overlooked the coming Age of the Modern eScooter...
:lol:
Lock

Lock said:
Scooter riders tend to fall more onto their feet, or knees and hands. Pedal bike riders, with their vehicles comfortably jammed in their crotches, have their legs more tangled with the vehicle, and tend to topple over onto their torsos and shoulders and heads.

*definitely* I've suddenly gained a new talent with not landing on my head during a crash!

*burp* Was reading this old ES thread. (Copied thread title on ES to another/local web forum, with link and noted "Old thread (but maybe a "goodie") on the relative merits of the two designs:"... but no explanation that this ES thread was really about standup/kick scooters. Hehe... And "Scooter Lovers" immediately jumped on that other thread to defend their choice of "scooter", perhaps without even checking what this ES thread was even about (on ES, posted in "Stand-up E-scooters and E-skateboards" subforum!)

But as is said, life is watt (sp?) happens while making other plans? My life sorta fell apart a couple of years ago w/multiple brain slams... apparently, and I've been telling myself that I can no longer trust myself to balance on the two wheeled bi-cycle, and these daze have been using the tri-cycle. First "sit up", now recumbent (w/big comfy seat). So not even legal on the roads, and for me my "high speed wheelchair".

But now gonna investigate gyroscope-lite as devices to stabilize thingees upright (ES "Search found 79 matches: +gyroscope"), but I can sorta stand on my own two feet and stagger along sidewalks just fine, which reminds me about another project "Locks Dray Build":
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=19001&p=276981

... where I have already noted "forfeit all title to the "Dray" idea spoken of in this forum thread. HOWEVER (ya, always a catch, right?), some small but significant share of any annual net profits to go to support the Krew aboard Endless-sphere.com (website overhead expenses)."

TBA!
L

PS. NO idea why D-Man deleted first post and title of this thread back on Mon Aug 08, 2011

Plus One (to all above Cotemar). Ya wanna sell anything, get the kids addicted first. :lol:

Vanarian said:
I agree ! Now what about scooter vs inline skates / powerblades ? Those are allowed too on sidewalks and you stand up high so cars see you coming.

What do you think of them ? :)

Hehe... Don't trust city pavements to be "smooth as glass" (re inline skates). In a past life was accumulating bits to go front wheel w/hub motor, back just dragging an inline skate blade/wheels on standup scoot (w/plenty of luggage capacity):
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=19001

So sorta a hybrid? Dunno WATT ya would call THAT "blend".

L

Back