E-Trike Racing

Triketech

1 kW
Being an old kart racer and riding a MAC 10T powered HPV FS26, it just seems like there may be an opportunity. Maybe not too, but who knows. Anyway I've been giving it an occasional thought over the last year, and along the way wrote up an outline.

If you've ever wondered why someone hasn't organized something like this, well so have I. So if you have some interest, let me know what you think.

The Gizmo is an embedded processor transponder with Wi-Fi that connects to the battery and feeds all electrical out. Trips Timing & Scoring antenna and stores lap times, real time and power used per lap. During Pre-Grid to a power limited event the Gizmo is securely programmed to allocate Watt Hours allowed for an event. When Watt-Hour allocation is used up, it kills power to the controller. Gizmo has a display with Watts Remaining and few other items displayed. Also has Cutoff and Bypass Switch.

Race Formats combine both Endurance (Enduro) and Sprint styles of racing.

Enduro rewards fastest qualifiers with extended gaps between starting positions. So if the race allocation was 300 Watt-Hours, a racer used 50 Watt Hours on 5 full throttle laps, a racer has 250 Watt-Hours left for the race. Direct Drive benefits from allowing Riders to pedal charge their batteries on trainers during the Qualifying session. A strong rider may regain up to 100 Watt Hours. Expect a distance of about 25 miles over an hour long race.

Sprint racing has more attention to rider skill and is more of a speed event.

Typical Race Day Schedule
• 7:00–7:30AM / Rider Meeting (Meet-n-Greet mostly, Mandatory)
• 7:45-8:45AM / Open Practice
• 8:45-9:15AM / Enduro Racers to Pre-Grid for Token Release
• 9:15 –10:15AM / Qualifying Heat (may be split into two 30 minute sessions)
• 10:15-10:45AM / Sprint Only Practice
• 10:30AM / Enduro Racers to Pre-Grid for Integrity Check
• 10:50AM / Enduro Racers to Parade Lap and Grid positions
• 10:55-11:55AM / Enduro Race
• 11:30AM / Sprint Racers to Pre-Grid for Token Release
• 12:05PM / Enduro Racers to Parade Lap and Grid positions
• 12:15-12:45PM / Sprint Race
• 1:00PM / Lunch & Awards

Just as an EZ starter 2 Classes were devised. There are safety equipment requirements as well such as helmets and rider side protection. I'll skip that here.

2 Base Stock Classes
Any commercially available brand of trike is allowed. Modifications to the frame and integral suspension components for alterations are not allowed. Repairs are allowed. Frame Specs:
• Spec 48V Nominal 10AH Li-Ion Bottle Battery with $400 claiming rule – (9 lbs with mounts)
• Spec Computer/Transponder – (1 lb)
• Seat Safety Wings – (5 lbs)
• Minimum Trike Weight (no rider) as raced: 70 Lbs
• Wheelbase Range: 38-52”
• Track width Range: 26-32”
• Stock: OEM Frame & suspension
• Open: Hubs, Rims, Tires, Shocks, Springs, Seats, Handlebars, Controls, Disk Brakes
• Open: Human Drive System
• Open: Data Acquisition System

Mid-Drive Stock uses a stock BBS02 motor and has a $400 motor claiming rule

Direct Drive Stock uses a Stock Golden Motor Magic Pie Edge with a $400 claiming rule

So there ya go.

Kart track owners would love to have a market like this to sell product to.

Just a thought. Let me know yours.

http://www.atomiczombie.com/Warrior%20Recumbent%20Tadpole%20Racing%20Trike.aspx

Someone's pitch.

http://www.slideshare.net/JanicaSantos/racing-recumbent-trike-final

So I remember people bringing the idea up, but I don't know of anyone who made it happen. Pedal racing of the tadpoles is going on, but doesn't sound like it's catching on.

What bike do you have that's ready to race?

Dauntless said:
What bike do you have that's ready to race?

This is the current configuration of my daily rider. I've built it out with several different motor configs for testing. As I ride a lot of steep hills I prefer the MAC. However on a sprint kart track a DD actually delivers slightly better efficiency as the speeds are higher and surface relatively flat. The BBS02 had the best lap times @ 25A but not by much over the Magic Pie.

http://www.triketech.com/Drivetrain/PowerAssist/HPV-MAC.html

If I were to go racing I would build a dedicated Mid Drive trike, probably based on the new HPV Scorpion 2. At my age I would be better off organizing and conducting a racing series than to be in the field.

What I'm really wondering is if there is enough interest to build a race series. Probably not, but having done something similar in karting 15+ years ago (with significant enduring success) I feel compelled to consider the possibilities.

Back