Ebike Project 72V HS3540 UK "build thread" +Videos!

got little update today! I've finally decided to upgrade my rear disc brake to 185mm! it feels so much better! :twisted:
IMG-20120502-00699.jpg
also since I had taken out the rear wheel off I've decided to clean it :wink: So far, my speedometer tells me I've done + 500miles and no problem!
I was worried about the Nord-lock and my cheap torque arms but they are holding on well. No damage on both axle and drop-out :D

also, I had little more time so I've taken picture of all the things I have as a spare...quite a lot lol i believe 2 spare motors, 3x BMS bulk chargers (dead), 3 controllers and 52v lifepo4 battery...etc :p
2012042007080001.JPG
Oh, also I finally decided to weigh my bike! and OMG! it weighs like 35kg! :shock: heavier than i thought...
I've been thinking of upgrading my headlight soon and I want to use CA to provide the power to it....anyone got good cheap idea which are as good as Cycle Lumenator?

little update here.
Good news is that BMSbattery guys are sending me a new 600w alloy shell for free :twisted: But no double it'll blow up soon...
Bad news...I believe my new 185mm Avid G2CS is little warped and cant quite get it right... :roll:
oh and i've fixed on/off master switch to FalconEV bag which is great!
IMG-20120508-00712.jpg

I've made more upgrades in last few days.
I've upgraded to Doc's torque arm on one side and I've glued my original torque arms together to make one thicker torque arm to apply on the opposite side of the drop out. (I didn’t like the Doc's torque arm with derailleur since I wasn’t sure if it works well with my setup.)
I've also programmed my controller to do regen so i'll inform you guys with how much regen i got from fully charged battery!
i'll upload some more pics tomorrow with all my setups. I've decided to power my headlight from the CA so got few things from china coming sooN!

Attachments

• IMG-20120514-00723.jpg
    IMG-20120514-00723.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 2,795
  • IMG-20120514-00725.jpg
    IMG-20120514-00725.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 1,130
  • IMG-20120514-00728.jpg
    IMG-20120514-00728.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 2,795
little more updates.
I have been meaning to add the light switch and horn/controller switch to the handle bar but the one I got from ebay came with side signal switch which looked useless for me so i've customised it to look like this!
IMG-20120215-00572.jpg

I've replaced the signal switch to 3way switch which allows me to change the power setting of the controller from 30%, 60% and 100% (I've been using it with 30% 100%120% but I've realised I dont really need to use 120% at all...)
Some point this week, My 12~94v ebay light will arrive so hopefully I'll be able to attach the light switch to this as well! :mrgreen:

PS: since i've added regen setting on, I hardly need to use brake! I guess i didnt really needed to upgrade the rear disc brake...lol It does feel great having regen on tho, so far, I'm getting about 5% of battery back! i'll update all the stats when my battery is empty! :wink:

My ebay headlight has arrived :mrgreen: I've tested with 52v and OMG :!: they are sooo bright :shock:
the light i've got can take upto 90v so i'm planning to feed it with my CA so keep the wires looking neat
I'll have to come up with good mount but it's looking very good!
Also I've bought ebay VDR and hoping to get some London riding videos going soon!
IMG-20120526-00745.jpg

okay, I've been riding it around at night time and the light works like a charm! :mrgreen:
So here is what i've done.

I've soldered wires into CA to get battery voltage straight into the end of light wires. (this made my handlebar looks neater than wires going back and forward)
IMG-20120526-00755.jpg
oh, does anyone know what does that yellow wire do? it was like that when I opened it....
I had to shorten alot of wire from the light since the original cable was very long....
View attachment 5IMG-20120527-00758.jpg
I've connected the light to the light switch so I can turn on and off the light with my left hand :wink:
IMG-20120527-00759.jpg

Here are some night photos!
IMG-20120529-00773.jpg
IMG-20120529-00774.jpg

Attachments

• IMG-20120527-00760.jpg
    IMG-20120527-00760.jpg
    181.4 KB · Views: 2,689
I've got my first few videos of my rides but the quality is not very good and I haven’t done much video editing before :? anyone got good advice on software and camera?
Here is a good picture of London this week and upgrade i've made on the handlebar
IMG-20120619-00885.jpg
IMG-20120621-00886.jpg

Not really big update since but my rear wheel got slow puncture recently nd proved me that specialized anti-puncture tire are not very puncture proof...tho the puncture was done by an inch long sharp thorn :cry: its never easy replacing a new inner tube with heavy hub with tight torque plates
I did replace it with a new self repairing tube :D

Couple news, I hated my fullface helmet so got new one!
IMG_3799.JPG
This helmet is so awesome :mrgreen: very light(560g?) and comfortable!
I got it for 85 quid on ebay :wink:
Also since I've been trying to make some videos of my rides I got this action cam.
RD32II
I should now be able to take 60fps videos in good quality (I had one other cheap action cam but it was so poor that I decided not to post it)

Nice updates mate!
Looking forward to seeing some videos of your bike in action. Have you opened up your motor at all to see how crispy the windings are? I've been running my bike at about the same power as you, and my motor still has some nice looking windings! Maybe you should check it out and see if your running your motor into the ground or not, like I did :D .
Nice helmet btw. I got a full motocross helmet for $100. Which is probably right around 80 some odd quid.

Very nice build, and thanks alot for posting so much info it help me choose my gear for my next bike!!!

Good luck with your next charger ;)

EDIT : No question about charger anymore, I made my order!

Trackman417 said:
Nice updates mate!
Looking forward to seeing some videos of your bike in action. Have you opened up your motor at all to see how crispy the windings are? I've been running my bike at about the same power as you, and my motor still has some nice looking windings! Maybe you should check it out and see if your running your motor into the ground or not, like I did :D .
i've got my camera yesterday so I'll charge it up nd get nice video some point soon!
I havent taken my motor apart yet tho I dont wot for more than 10min plus UK is very cold all the time :wink: But i'll definitely take a look at my motor soon!

vodk1c3 said:
Very nice build, and thanks alot for posting so much info it help me choose my gear for my next bike!!!
Good luck with your next charger ;)
EDIT : No question about charger anymore, I made my order!
good to know my posts can help! I've actually fixed one of my charger so now i've got one spare :D
good luck with your build!

tks a lot for post. So, a conhismotor, can really hold up 72volts?
I was afraid to use 2 x 7S in serie. lol
Did you think in do holes in the motor to decrease the temperature?

marcos7007 said:
tks a lot for post. So, a conhismotor, can really hold up 72volts?
I was afraid to use 2 x 7S in serie. lol
Did you think in do holes in the motor to decrease the temperature?

Conhismotor is well capable of pushing 72v but UK's average temp is like 15c so motor don't get too hot...
14s should be perfectly fine without drilling the holes but if you go beyond 18s I would drill vent holes :wink:

Here is my first Video!!! :shock:
It took me a LOOONG time to make it (film) but finally I've got the right camera (RD32II) and got it working!
Enjoy!
[youtube]49MdHniIZxE[/youtube]

Edit New Video coming soon!

New Video From London!
[youtube]UoaaX7aIISE[/youtube]
The accident was VERY close call but managed just scuff my front wheel and no damage at all :wink:

I think you were lucky there. That driver had indicated properly in time for the corner and you were on the pavement. The fact that they did not try to get you details for that is probably because you didn't stop around to give them the chance.

Also you tend to ride over the pelican crossings when people are on them, and only just after they are out of your way. Cars can do this and I don't know if you shouldn't be more careful. The last thing we need to do is alienate the general public by driving to close to them on something which has the power of a 50cc scooter.

Really like your build threads btw but don't want to see you getting arrested.

whereswally606 said:
I think you were lucky there. That driver had indicated properly in time for the corner and you were on the pavement. The fact that they did not try to get you details for that is probably because you didn't stop around to give them the chance.

Also you tend to ride over the pelican crossings when people are on them, and only just after they are out of your way. Cars can do this and I don't know if you shouldn't be more careful. The last thing we need to do is alienate the general public by driving to close to them on something which has the power of a 50cc scooter.

Really like your build threads btw but don't want to see you getting arrested.

yes, I agree that was partly my fault as well but don't forget that video is slowed down to half the Speed. also I was travelling at average cyclist speed at the time. Given that I think he could have slowed down before the turn as well. I'll upload the real time video later. Nevertheless I was lucky then :)

I don't ride it like this all the time, it was due to massive traffic on the road :wink:

my greentime charger Look like yours !. It Blew from the Plugs to the controller fuses, I have replace them many times until all had BLEW up again. they are Indeed a rubbish product. SURE 100% blew, so My guess from the same manufacturer Look like alloy could be in very high possible danger to getting it blew very soon or in no time. My vpower charger 48v is still good since 2years ago I have been using it. There is a product Name BC168 in ebay, had been used by many es members I think they are not bad. however I have already order One charger from Hobby king to charge 5cells 10amps, maybe I will parallel them to 20amps. my Imax Bc is not bad, still working from the first day I used. about the Bc 168 charger is capable to charge them individually and balance all, or say 90v all in One go.

ken

kentlim26 said:
my greentime charger Look like yours !. It Blew from the Plugs to the controller fuses, I have replace them many times until all had BLEW up again. they are Indeed a rubbish product. SURE 100% blew, so My guess from the same manufacturer Look like alloy could be in very high possible danger to getting it blew very soon or in no time. My vpower charger 48v is still good since 2years ago I have been using it. There is a product Name BC168 in ebay, had been used by many es members I think they are not bad. however I have already order One charger from Hobby king to charge 5cells 10amps, maybe I will parallel them to 20amps. my Imax Bc is not bad, still working from the first day I used. about the Bc 168 charger is capable to charge them individually and balance all, or say 90v all in One go.

ken
Actually, Since I took them apart and fixed few parts off and on, my Alloyshell 600w chargers are all good :mrgreen: i've got one for spare and one for every week use and it hasn’t let me down for a good year! :pancake:

Here is new video of my ride in london at night!
sorry about the quality, its suppose to be good but of course youtube makes them even worse.... :evil:
[youtube]Owz-aUqmBHg[/youtube]

I've got my best video so far this week!
[youtube]K-MWfcKIU24[/youtube]

other than this, I've came across few problems...my rear brake light stopped working :?
and one of my spoke broke...cant find good replacement of 12g in the UK :roll:
also water must have got into my waterproofing so this morning my hub started making buzz sound...(fixed it for now but wont last long) :(
and finally, UK is getting VERY cold and battery dont last long at all!! :cry:

Looks like your going pretty fast :)
I think the ebike community has created a market for a new type of helmet, something in between a standard bicycle helmet and a motorbike helmet, well that's what I would want going at those speeds.
I made a video of going through Melbourne CBD at much slower speeds, might upload it somewhere, it's recorded in hi-res by iphone4.

TheBeastie said:
Looks like your going pretty fast :)
I think the ebike community has created a market for a new type of helmet, something in between a standard bicycle helmet and a motorbike helmet, well that's what I would want going at those speeds.
I made a video of going through Melbourne CBD at much slower speeds, might upload it somewhere, it's recorded in hi-res by iphone4.

I've got this full face helmet which are just like what you just described!
IMG_3799.JPG
I didnt know iphone has good enough video quality for biking...but I got mine on ebay for 80! its rd32II
its very good so far! it can take very good wide 120 degrees video with 720p 60fps! i would buy this over go-pro any time! :mrgreen:

any more info on the helmet ?

I need one....

bought an XL helmet online.... wasn't cheap... but it's crap..... and way too small... sits ontop of my head like a soup bowl :s

Back