Ebike wheel sizing down

Dr P

1 µW
I ordered a 26 inch geared hub motor but ended up receiving a 24 inch. It took over a month for it to ship here in the first place and I don't want to have to ship it back and wait another 2 months if there isn't any real drawback to having 24 inch wheels instead of 26 inch. Do you think its worth it to ship it back or should i just keep this one, I haven't been able to find a definitive answer, any feedback is welcomed

I'm changing everything to 24" with 3" tires or 2.5 hookworms depending on the bike. Better torque. More rubber. Only a tiny bit smaller so about 3-4mph at 48v. Much better

20" might result in a wheeliemobile. And there is pedal strike if you corner while pedaling, but that's generally a non issue with a big motor in a 20" wheel.

To Dr P, the only issue is going to be choices in tires. If you have disc brakes, go for it. It won't change handling that much going to just 24" Even less, if you run a skinny front tire and a fat rear.

If your bike can clear 2.7 or 3.0" tires and has disc brake mounts, use the wheel as is for it will be better. A 24" wheel with a 3.0 tire runs as smooth as a 26 with a 2.5 and has only half an inch difference in BB height. If you really need 26, your only option is to re-lace it in a 26" rim.

Dr P said:
I ordered a 26 inch geared hub motor but ended up receiving a 24 inch. It took over a month for it to ship here in the first place and I don't want to have to ship it back and wait another 2 months if there isn't any real drawback to having 24 inch wheels instead of 26 inch. Do you think its worth it to ship it back or should i just keep this one, I haven't been able to find a definitive answer, any feedback is welcomed
Dr P, if you decide to bolt in 24" wheel, post couple of photos, love to see them how it look!

I installed 24"wheels to my XL frame Rocky Mountain to lower the top tube height. With 24 X 2.1 tires, pedal strikes were common and scary.
I then installed 2.4 tires and a 170 mm crank arm crankset;
http://www.modernbike.com/shimano-tiagra-4650-170mm-34-50t-compact-crankset-silver-bottom-bracket-not-included

SAM_1000.jpg

No more pedal strikes. I have since gone back to 2.1 tires and pedal strikes are rare.
Bottom line; 5 mm shorter crank arms make a bigger difference than you think they would.

Note;
The Tiagra is the only 110 mm BDC, 170 mm with a 50T chain ring that I could find and is great for Ebikes.
The smaller wheels also allowed me to use a drop style rear rack.

Back