Ebikes for groceries' - Amish

gobi

10 kW
I frequent the Amish county north of me to get meat from a farm, never saw anyone riding an Ebike there. I was watching this on YT and saw an ebike and wanted to share it here.

at 37 min mark,

She makes along trek to get her groceries' on an Ebike with a trailer.

I frequent the Amish county north of me to get meat from a farm, never saw anyone riding an Ebike there. I was watching this on YT and saw an ebike and wanted to share it here.

at 37 min mark,

She makes along trek to get her groceries' on an Ebike with a trailer.
The New-Order Amish usually allow bicycles but not engine-powered vehicles. I guess that community allows e-bikes under the technicality that it’s not an engine? Even if it’s not allowed, many Amish citizens break their rules frequently. Phones are common among Amish adults and teens.

They may also be Mennonites and not Amish, who have less strict rules including ownership of cars.

Each community gets to make their own relevant rules and restrictions. There's not one set of rules for all Amish or Mennonites.

One family in my area that I heard of was getting solar panels.

She might need our help in the future when her display on the handle bar comes up with an error code.
Sneak away to pose the q

The New-Order Amish usually allow bicycles but not engine-powered vehicles.
Not a 80cc gas engine on no bicycle then.

She might need our help in the future when her display on the handle bar comes up with an error code.
Sneak away to pose the q

Not a 80cc gas engine on no bicycle then.
I mean if it’s two stroke that might be simplistic enough to not be considered “of the world”

I actually just saw one of my favorite creators posting about his go cart as an old-order Amish teenager. Apparently, their well had a pump driven by a gas engine. Whenever their parents were away, they worked on adding a belt to a pull behind cart so they could temporarily connect the pump’s engine to it and drive in a straight line for a mile. Got spanked when their parents found out but it was worth it to them

Alternatively, the community that I am familiar with near me, seems to share this generic rule regarding motors: if it's stationary, it's okay to use. For example, they have a gas-powered baler for baling hay in the fall, which they put on a carriage to take it around to the different families that need it for their fields in the fall. The motor is baling the hay, but not moving itself, so by their rules, it's allowed.

I say God bless the Amish for living simple and pure lives. At times, wish I was born in a time and place where life was more simple and not all of this technology. Although I’m tainted now lol, I could never go back, but it would’ve been nice to live off the land, grow your own food, raise your own cattle, etc.

I watched this documentary several months ago, very loving and humble people they are.

I say God bless the Amish for living simple and pure lives. At times, wish I was born in a time and place where life was more simple and not all of this technology. Although I’m tainted now lol, I could never go back, but it would’ve been nice to live off the land, grow your own food, raise your own cattle, etc.

I watched this documentary several months ago, very loving and humble people they are.
I love the idea of Amish living and they usually are very nice people.
However, many former Amish claim it’s more of a cult than just a group of plain folk who love god. Many of the bishops are overly controlling and run their community from a need for power over people rather than living “the way the lord intended”. The Bible repeatedly mentions you shouldn’t see yourself as better than others or of less sin than your peers, but the Amish tend to view themselves as better than the worldly sinners. You should check out Eli Yoder on YouTube or TikTok to hear his side, although it’s different for different communities. Not all are corrupt of course.

I love the idea of Amish living and they usually are very nice people.
However, many former Amish claim it’s more of a cult than just a group of plain folk who love god. Many of the bishops are overly controlling and run their community from a need for power over people rather than living “the way the lord intended”. The Bible repeatedly mentions you shouldn’t see yourself as better than others or of less sin than your peers, but the Amish tend to view themselves as better than the worldly sinners. You should check out Eli Yoder on YouTube or TikTok to hear his side, although it’s different for different communities. Not all are corrupt of course.
You've also could have just been describing particular communities of any religion worldwide. Amish get unfairly singled out in my opinion.

You've also could have just been describing particular communities of any religion worldwide. Amish get unfairly singled out in my opinion.
That’s a fair point, I know a lot of the Amish are good people and it’s not right to generalize the Amish as a whole like that. I know more about the Amish than other religious groups so I can’t speak for others and claim it’s only the Amish with issues

I love the Amish, my neighbor just sold his mother's house north of me to a young Amish couple. The couple paid in cash for the house. So the point I was making was that one has to respect their minimalist approach to life. I am sure the woman who rides her eBike to get her groceries can afford a vehicle or door dash her groceries. But she picked the least impactful solution.

We had a new house built by Amish builders 3 blocks north of moi, nearly a $1 mil house built by Amish men and WOMEN. As I drove past them with my middle schooler daughter, we stopped to watch them nail a wall frame, the Amish woman was framing like a pro!

They have what we lack generally, "Skills"

Back