Ebikes for Short People?

JBChai

1 µW
As the title says, I've been researching ebikes for a while and in my internet info-stuffing I've realized I've completely forgotten how short I am. Are there any good recommendations for ebikes that are premade for short people?

I'm 5' 1'', and I believe my inseam to be 25'' give or take a little - I'll have to doublecheck. I'm completely incompetent with mechanics so attempting to make one will end in failure. As with my shortness, a lowstep would be best. I'm planning on using the bike for the commute from my home to school - which apparently has about 5% grade hills along the way. Hopefully the bike can carry up to 160lbs, I've got textbooks and projects to carry for the commute, which is about 10 miles roundtrip. Stealth, cheapness, speed and prettiness would be a super plus, but I know we can't have everything :p. Any suggestions? I'm mostly concerned with the height.

I've had my eye on the Prodeco Phantom X, iZip Zuma, and Pedego Cruiser, but I haven't been able to tell if they'll fit someone of my height - the website aren't very helpful, or perhaps I've been looking in the wrong area.

(I've also test ridden eMoto's liberty line - which, according to their website is the shortest bike they have - and my hopes were promptly dashed. The liberty bike was even a bit of a tippy-toe stretch for me.)

First thing you need to do is go to the User Control Panel, select Profile, and then enter your city, state/province, and country into the Location field. This will help people help you. If you don't care about getting help, then you may disregard this post. Example: Wylie, TX, USA.

Yeah it seems to me like most prebuilt bike come in one size. Best thing is get out there and test one before buying. Otherwise, convert a bike that fits you.

Lot's of ES members in southern cal. Maybe one here can help you out. Perhaps a 26" kit on one of those chopper beach bikes.
http://www.2wheelbikes.com/chopper-beach-cruisers.html

My girlfriend has a 26.5"inseam, and we had no luck finding her a prebuilt bike that she liked. I converted an extra small trek 3500 (13") and that was ok. We didn't get a really good fit until we switched to recumbent trikes.

Your best bet is either to try a folder or find the right bike and have the motor added.

SK

edit# women's ezip trailz might fit

Bikes with 24 inch wheels for MTB and 650C for road will fit the shorter of us. You can find 700C and 26 inch wheeled bikes with x-small frames here and there though. My daughter is 5.0ft and managed to find frames to fit in both 700c and 26 inch although it did take a bit of surfing to do so. Niece is no taller and both found bikes that fit here http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/mountain_bikes.htm although a few in the city as well. Good luck and take your time to find what you want that fits.

Is the 160 lbs. cargo or you and the cargo? Big difference.

160lbs is the combination weight. Thanks for the answers, I'll be checking out the websites linked, though like previously stated, I'm not much of a DIY because I know next to nothing about the mechanics of a bike. I've looked into Pedego a little more and noticed that they made bikes with wheels of 24'' - wondering if that's a good choice in terms of height and power.

Break it down. 155 plus 5 cargo is much different than 115 plus 45 cargo.

I’m short for California, although arguably average height for a lowlander in Scotland. I bought a medium-sized frame thinking it would be perfect, but as it turned out, it is like the largest medium on the planet, and closer to laaaarge. I resolved the problem of mounting my high hobby horse by selecting a smaller 24” rear wheel which dropped the frame towards the ground by an inch. It’s still a little too tall, but I only need to worry about it at rest, and I tilt it some to compensate.

For your needs, I’d go with a small frame; pick one you like and can ride with ease now, and use that as the base for your electric conversion.

Reaching for perfection, KF

Likely the stuff inported to the US in ready to ride ebikes will be larger in size.

Perhaps in the womens style frames, one will have a seat height that is good.

In a bike to convert, you might look at 20 and 24" bmx and dirt jumper type stuff. But the problem there is typicaly they won't have 135 mm rear dropout width. Same with folders. There are ways around this, particularly with a steel frame.

Recumbents might be the best bet of all.

A step thru will be the easiest frame type.

But I would strongly recommend that you find a bike that you like and fits to well to begin with. Then, in the meantime, figure out your power, distance, speed, weight and other requirements to settle on a kit to install.

I'm in So Cal, so maybe I can help you decide or figure it out. I'm a wishful 5' 8", so I kinda understand your plight. Currently making a bike for my wife and she's about 5' 3".

My 26" women's step through steel frame cruiser 5 speed or similar could work. The seat on mine can be as low as 30" from the ground, and with S shaped frame there's no racking yourself in the crotch when standing at a stop. It's easy to mount and dismount unlike triangle frames for me because I'm disabled and have wiped out before just getting on my MT bike. Maybe a step-through Townie style could work too or even a chopper. 8) Try some out at a LBS and have them professionally fit you, you don't have to feel obligated to buy one from them. If you want to electrify it yourself you can find a used one, do the research and match it to the kit you want. Take your time and the resulting satisfaction will be something to grin about for years to come. :D

Back