Electric Bike Rider Dies After Dooring

Hi peoples ,just wanted to say i nearly got door myself the other week nearly that is i shat my pants thats how close it was .Friend of mine sister she got door a while back and it F%$##@ her up she had to get new teeth and she was knock the f&%# out too but lucky she wasn't going super fast would of been worse. She missed out of going over seas for a Lycra comp she had 3 weeks to go for the comp and that happed so can happen to the best of us ..All i can say is slow down when you have to ride along parked cars .

If you live in Australia it is compulsory to wear a helmet when riding a bicycle. Even on our holiday island (Rottnest Island) where there are no cars you must still wear a helmet. I think it puts alot of people off from riding, ladies do not like messing up their hair. I dont have any hair so does not worry me. I ride on cycle ways all the time yet still must wear a helmet.

roundtoit said:
If you live in Australia it is compulsory to wear a helmet when riding a bicycle. Even on our holiday island (Rottnest Island) where there are no cars you must still wear a helmet.

No accounting for taste, I suppose. The law seems always to be quick to shift the burden of cars' deadliness to everybody else.

I have fallen off my bike many times both with and without a helmet. I've gotten concussed both ways, but mostly by far I've escaped head injury both ways. My hands and knees almost always regret it, though.

There are a lot of ways to get hurt and wish you hadn't, but a helmet only protects you from one of them-- and not very well.

I find that the knees are the most commonly injured during a fall, followed by the shoulders.

I always wear knee pads under my pants, well almost always. One ride I forgot to put them on and I had to jump off my bike during a slow sharp turn, going uphill, around a tree and my knee hit the tree. The pain was bad, and if I had my knee pads on I wouldn't have even felt it. My knee hurt for days afterwards.

I find the shoulders get injured the most from putting your hands out during a fall and the jolt goes through your shoulders.

I awaited a few days to see if the video I saw of this on 9news TV would go on the net but channel 9 are too stupid to put the video online, seems like its a random process, guess another reason why TV broadcasters are dying so bad. All they ever put online was a screen shot on their facebook site to get people to watch it on TV.

Anyway cyclist was hit pretty bad by a driver leaving a liquor store and drove off, interestingly it was also a white Holden commodore station wagon like the car that hit the ebiker story that started this thread.
http://www.vicpolicenews.com.au/news/4129-cyclist-seriously-injured-after-frankston-hit-run.html

http://sharetheroad.org/
BvCUkJsCcAIKuWg.jpg:large

When I lived in Pittsburgh there was a guy who strapped bumpers from a honda civic to the front and back of his bike. Same idea but I prefer the execution in your picture better :lol:

I ordered one of these a few days ago..Can't hurt,,

I've used a few of those. I really really liked them because they seem to work so well, two stripes on the road. Then after like a year of using them I asked a friend to drive behind me and tell me what she thought. She said they didn't really show up until she was next to me. :|

I still use mine, but now I keep it more in mind that I shouldn't assume I'm "safer" because of it. I use it as a "can't hurt" addition, but I certainly don't feel as safe as I did when I first got them, lol.

I like those things... but that's not going to help against a 'dooring'.

A flashing front light is more likely to help, but the best medicine is prevention (ie staying out of the door zone and watching for drivers in cars)

I almost got doored today, by a matter of not more than 3 inches. Even after I so vehemently talk to others about watching and avoiding the zone. It was the classic look-over-the-should-to-check-traffic then look back and see the door swinging open in slow motion.

In my defense, it was quite literally one of the longest doors I've ever seen, but that wouldn't have comforted me much if I was dead. Doorings are no joke. Stay focused people.

and get a mirror. The one that's been laying on my shop table for months is going on tomorrow.

Unfortunatley a light on the ground is just a light on the ground....and easily ignored. :(

I think lighting up the bike itself and making a bright pool of light all around the bike does a better job of "forcing" people to see you.

But nothing like that actually makes poeple pay attention to things around them, and so if they don't do that they arent' going to see you even if you are a semi-truck-sized object with xenon strobes every square inch of the surface. ;)

And even if they pay attention, and see you , they may simply not care, or worse (but much less likley) actually WANT to hit you with the door.

So staying out of the door zone is the best solution to the problem. :/

However--if your goal with those "laser lane lights" is to get other cars that are passing you to stay clear of you, you have the same problem, but htere is a slightly better solution: MattyCiii's "lefty folding lightstick" (whcih can be easily made as a righty for those that live in places that use the other side of the road). There's a good thread about how to do it and how well it works.

Just keep in mind it won't do a thing for doorings. Only you can do something about htat part.

amberwolf said:
I think lighting up the bike itself and making a bright pool of light all around the bike does a better job of "forcing" people to see you.
My current approach, a Cree LED mounted on the back casting light on pedals and front wheel. At night riding, a nice strobe effect as I pedal. Light ahead and now light behind.
ClarkU-19Apr13.JPG

Thought I would ad this here since it was a fatal dooring also in Melbourne and recieved a lot of media attention.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-03-09/young-cyclists-death-ignites-debate-on-sharing-our/6292226

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-03-09/car-dooring-victims-fiancee-remembers-partner-alberto-paulon/6291692
'The fiancée of an Italian chef killed 10 days ago in a car-dooring incident in inner Melbourne has recalled the day he died, saying she screamed when she "saw his eyes for the last time".'

Thought I would add this news here as they appears to be a serial cyclist attacker out there in Victoria.
Cyclists 'stalked' near Geelong, Victorian police say, as they investigate fatal hit-and-run
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-05-11/victoria-police-say-cyclist-deliberately-hit-in-geelong-fatal/6460774
http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/deadly-hit-and-run-driver-in-geelong-harassed-other-cyclists-20150511-ggyqn2.html

Watch out if you see a car like this coming.

Attachments

• 6460802-3x2-700x467.jpg
    6460802-3x2-700x467.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 1,475
dogman dan said:
Just one example, that crane did not drop that truss on me, because I was not under it. It landed 3 feet from me, but I was NOT under it. 3 feet and that guy would never have been doored.

The really cool thing about ebikes, is that you can take a safer route miles out of your way with ease. I do the same thing all the time in cars too.

Dogman, spot on mate! If we could only instill this type of wisdom in our children at birth or shortly thereafter?

Thought I would post this here.
I didn't think much about this incident until they repeated it on the local news today saying the guy was riding a "motorized bicycle".
I looked it up and it was one of these petrol/gas ICE bicycles. Could be he was just randomly unlucky or it could have been some extreme anti-motorized bicycle environmentalist type person (who drives a car :roll: ).

https://www.vicpolicenews.com.au/news/info-appeal-after-cyclist-shot-at-everton
https://goo.gl/maps/bXNZpeMmbGQ2

Armed Crime Squad detectives are renewing their appeal for public assistance after a 72-year-old man was shot multiple times while riding his motorized pushbike at Everton last month.

The Ringwood man was riding along the Myrtleford-Everton Rail Trail when he was shot by a man armed with a pistol about 12pm on Saturday 18 February.

He was found lying injured on the bike trail by two passing cyclists who called for an ambulance.

Bike.JPG

Back