electric fence module used for anti-theft device.

i was looking and felt a couple of old solar powered electric fence modules......they are shocking....

now i was thinking about the loss of the bike from the guy from canada last week and thinking how to arm the bike.....
however strange this sounds how would you wire this to your bike.......
perhaps straight to frame would not work because of bike motor connections....maybe putting this thing on the bike handle bars....but this would assume that the bike thief would ride your bike........maybe we need hole body proection...would we use rubber on frame and then metal strips on top of it....

Hahha alove it.

Two terminals in the grips - hold each end of the handlebars and wammo!

Use a tazer for the charge, and connect to either the grips or put two contacts on the saddle. Brings new meaning to the term electric bike.

I like the taz or idea....so the wiring must be the perp turns on the switch.....maybe a false button on handle bar that blatantly says bike on....I like it....let's tweet this..instead of ta Zor....lets use cattle prod........maybe mp3. Connected to false on switch playing chestnuts roasting on an open fire....

Just a warning: such a device would almost certainly be considered a booby-trap and thoroughly illegal in most places. I recall a story years ago of a man in the UK who connected an electric fence unit to his car, parked in the street outside his house. It was ingenious, in that the paint acted as an insulator and someone had to touch bare metal (like the lock) to get a shock. Unfortunately, the wires and steel plate they were attached to on the underside of the car attracted the intention of a suspicious policeman, who, investigating received a shock for his curiosity.

http://articles.latimes.com/1998/sep/10/news/hw-21077

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ey3XDc27RCw

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-To-End-Bike-Theft-The-Honeybike-Project/

now the third one looks pretty cool...it is bike specific...he put a cheap phone with some sort of plan that is 35 cents a day for unlimited data.he also put on some tracking program . Mologogo..i think net 10 does 35 bucks a month unlimited data now...that would be a dollar a day.... but you would have tracking..... but in honor of the thread he put a stun gun in it....there is a youtube video of it....

and yeah for whatever reason when googled several security guards and cops have been shocked by car alarms in england...don't those cops over there have better stuff to do than get shocked by expensive sports cars....... it really seems suspicious because all the cops in the stories where investigating a sports car they thought suspecious but don't give any reason why they needed to touch the car etc....i can see if it was on fire or audio alaram going off sure...but just sitting there....sounds fishy...

The idea sounds awesome.

The legal reality isn't so great. In the U.S. It's perfectly legal to use any reasonable force you feel necessary to defend your property. If you wanted to crack their skull open with a cattle prod, you would be in the right. The problem is with passive, indiscriminate systems that cause harm.

While as a bike owner, I'm going to call anyone who is riding away with my bike a thief. legally, that isn't always the case. There are a large number of exceptions and circumstances where someone might take your bike without consent and without legal responsibility, in which case a passive device that does harm would be criminal.

Just off the top of my head:
You park outside your house. There is a fire. Paramedics/Firefight need to move the mike for access or safety reasons. they trigger the device and are injured or incapacitated and injured by the fire.

A mentally challenged person sees the bike and wants to ride it. They are unsupervised, but unfit to know that what they are doing is wrong. They would be legally unresponsible for their actions, but you would be legally responsible for any injury they received while on your property.

Same situation with a small child.

Your bike is stolen by gloved thieves who throw the whole bike rack into the back of a box truck. It's later recovered by the police who are injured during the recovery.

A courier for an embassy decided they are tired of walking and grab your bike. They have diplomatic immunity and can't be held responsible for stealing your bike, how ever they can hold you responsible for their injury.

Ultimately it comes down to a case of morality. The Immorality of a passive device to protect your bike is the same as the immorality of a land mine. It harms indiscriminately.

Back