• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Electric GIANT STILETTO 48V 20AH

Gonzo

10 mW
Here it is, guys, I took a plunge into the EV world and bought a 36V Hub Motor rear-wheel kit from Golden Motor, a 48V 20AH battery from e-bay Duct Tape makers and a GIANT STILLETTO bike from Giant. I originally planned to convert a mountain bike, but then a thought crossed my mind: why not make an e-bike that actually looks like a proper VEHICLE, drives with comfort of a cruiser. This coincided with the Giant Stiletto sale in Toronto- $184 CAD (67% off) was a decider, and things are now set in motion. Just received the bike itself and the hub motor kit yesterday. Yay! Look at the nice fat tire =) Assembled the bike (haven't installed the hub motor yet):

DSC01978_small.jpg

DSC01979_small.jpg

Installer some custom mirrors, replaced hand-grips and brake levers with ones that came with hub motor kit. Now comes the hard part. As I wait for the battery to arrive, I need to somehow attach the brake disk to the motor hub. Does anyone have the Golden Motor kit? Has anybody drilled holes in it? I want to drill/tap six holes in the hub to fasten the disk to it, but not sure if the metal of the hub is strong enough...

After that, just need to remove spokes from Golden Motor wheel, "lace" the hub to the original bike rim and we are all set for some cruisin'.

Any ideas, guys? Does 36V motor sound like it is powerful enough for this bike?

With the kind of battery storage space you got there, I'm gonna say:

"Hell no :twisted:!"

How many 72V Ah you guys think he could fit in there?

Lol, yeah- there is lots of space under the top bar- could build a custom "gasoline tank" and maybe stuff a couple of 20AH batteries there. I found another open-box 36V Golden Motor front hub motor on the Internet for just $75- maybe I'll get it and then make the bike all-wheel-drive and overvolt each motor to 42V. Not sure that kind of speed I can get this way- but going over 50 kph on a bike without suspension is not a good idea anyway. Maybe modifying the front fork to "freak" suspension will help... Thinking too much ahead- still need to get and test my first battery.

The bike weights around 50lb. Anyone knows what kind of speeds I can get on it from 36V 500W motor overvolted to 42V?

Thanks for the feedback, Link- with that devilish smile =)

I thought that the stiletto was a "discontinued" model?

a 48V 20AH battery from e-bay Duct Tape makers

The bike weights around 50lb. Anyone knows what kind of speeds I can get on it from 36V 500W motor overvolted to 42V?

I'm confused. Aren't you going to run this motor at 48V with that duct tape special?

Rassy said:
I'm confused. Aren't you going to run this motor at 48V with that duct tape special?

No, he's going two run it on 96V with two of them 8).

48V operation on that kit requires a slight hardware mod to the logic power stage and if the pack doesn't have a low voltage cutoff you can adjust the hardwired LVC on the controller. Details on the mods can be found in the goldenmotor forums (here: http://www.goldenmotor.com/SMF/). Search for posts by pdonahue.

Good luck on your project. I used a Goldenmotor on my first e-bike because the price was right. I had to make some spacer modifications to make the motor fit my forks along with a list of other problems but the bike works. If you use a voltmeter to monitor battery low voltage you don't need to modify the controller, melting the power wires between the controller and motor might be more of a problem using the higher voltage. I went to Crystalite parts for my second ebike project, more money but I was able to put together a customized system that worked perfectly out of the box.

Thanks, Dalecv!

I already checked- Golden Motor rear kit fits the back fork of Stiletto almost perfectly- with minor stretching. The hard part is mounting a disk brake to the Golden Motor hub. This will require drilling/tapping holes in the hub cover, very likely attaching a spacer to the hub and then bolting a disk to the spacer... Do you know anyone who did that kind of mod? I'm only worried that the hub cover is not strong enough to take that kind of stress when the break is applied. What'dya think?

Waiting for my 48V 20AH battery rather impationately.... Grr- Anna of eBay is slow at shipping. I hope that means she is good at testing!

Cheers,

Mike

bro how did this go ?

I got me one of them bikes this august red one , love it . tis my winter project to make that baby an eride . im in the process of replacing the seat with a springer that will let me get a little further over the back tire and more leg room but otherwise ITs GREAT. ive had neighbors stop me and end up taking a spin.

Love the black on chrome . makes me wish id held out and found one of them.

Back