Electric ICE-T ?

tom2slow

10 mW
Hi All!

As a confirmed Trike (tadpole) rider, I have recently increased my commute distance to the point where I feel I need a boost.

So in addition to having nothing but theoretical knowledge of what I need to do, I have a major design issue upon which I need your advice.

The trike I own that I would really really like to electrify is my ICE-T. Can anyone here comment on the use of 2 motors, one on ea front hub?
The issue as I see it would be one of synchronization, followed closely by the potential need for a differential effect. Can hall effect switches and a programmable controller be used to accomplish this?
I understand that an electrified rear would probably be simpler, but I have a custom rear climbing hub that I feel may be nesc to get the trike home (its not really flat in Denver) if I did suffer an electrical mechanical? (and sooner or later it would seem everyone would)

So since I am in the information gathering stage, I would really appreciate any shared insights.

--Tom

Tadpoles use one sided axles for the front wheels, those don't play nice with hub motors... If you want to keep your IGH then you're going to have to look at a chain driven solution. Cheap would be a cyclone-tw dual freewheel kit (don't buy the ones under 650w) and a battery from emissions-free or ping. (~$800-1000 shipped from china) There are several kits out there for $2,000+ w/o battery and more with that are reputed to be of higher quality. If neither of those is appealing browse the non-hub section for ideas about what can be done with custom builds. If either of these options sound appealing, ask and I or someone else here will be happy to go into a little more detail or point you in the right direction.

-SK

Though it won't be real fun in a breakdown, just get a rear hub, and use a screw on freewheel on it that has the oversize mega range largest gear on it. That way you still get a pretty darn low, lowest gear on a bike with a rear hubmotor for when you break down.

And in addition, make freinds with a few guys that drive a pickup.

Definitely consider an RC drive. If you drive through the left side of the hub, you can keep all your gears and have electric assist. You can find examples out there if you look around, but in case you haven't seen this one posted this morning, the seller took nice pix of his trike with RC drive:
KMX w/ Matt/Astro drive FS near SLC, UT - $3,600

I just finished installing RC drive on my folding bike (see link in my signature). I have a Schlumpf drive in the front and NuVinci in the back - gives me great gear range. The RC drive does not interfere with these! The RC drive adds a little friction, and a little weight. But other than that, it's just as rideable as without the electric drive

Also, a bit OT, but I can't resist...
129209061954870339.jpg

I have a 750w hub on my Catrike Pocket tadpole. I can't compare it to anything in the front or a bracketed motor. I'm completly satified with the assist and all the parts. I live in flat Florida but I do take on some high and long bridges. Very easy. I have it on a 20" wheel. I top out at about 30 mph. 48v 18 ah LifePo4. I'm considering a suspended trike. Catrike has just offered the new Road suspended trike.

Battery placement is very important on a tadpole. The top of the battery needs to be below the rear axle and the back of the battery needs to be in front of the rear axle. The more of each the better. It is a CG thing. Do it right it grips like a go cart. Wrong and you are likely to roll.

So to recap:
Hub motor: Simple, Easy, May be slow if you get it geared for mountain climbing.
Chain drive kit: More complex, drives through gears, requires more maintenance (long chainline can be an advantage here.)
RC build: Most complex, completely custom build, most maintenance (most likely.)

as for batteries:
LiFePO4 lithium batteries are stable, better than non lithium in every way except up front price.
RC LiPO batteries are smaller and possibly lighter, but are more complex and may burn your house down if you're not careful when charging.
Lead acid: cheap, heavy, don't last too long, avoid like the plague.

Back