ELVP/electric vehicle performance

latecurtis

100 MW
I have been daydreaming about the future. A small electric pickup truck conversion. A S10 chevy or something a little smaller. I would want it to be able to go on the thruway at 60 to 65 mph top speed for at least 100 miles on a charge. I would want a 240 volt motor with 20 large batteries or are there lipos that would work for less weight and more range. also whats the chance of an onboard generator for constant charging. it would totally defeat the greater purpose if the generator ran off of fossile fuels so it would have to run on a alternate fuel sourch such as old vegestable oil or other similar fuel sources used to run internal combustion engines. hydrogen being ideal probley would be the most costly. the concept would extend the rarge and also charge considerably during breaks such as dinner or shopping therefore also extending battery life. It would shut off when fully charged and start up when the voltage drops a certain percent. I struggle with math sometimes but fully grasp concepts. my passion for electric vehicles is only beginning. I would love to have a bussiness doing conversions.
I would also love to manufacture small mountable and quiet electric generators running off vegtable oil or similar fuel source.these would sell also for campers mobile homes or anyone who wishes they could save on there power bill. right now im trying to get a couple used batteries for my ebike. i tried updating my profile but with no success I did not know what the first two or three things they wanted or required were.i struggle with computers when it comes to software and web things. however i can build a computer from scratch. new egg. com I know about PC parts. I am 49 years old next month. disabled waiting on disibality cant get around without batteries.My original hobby was stereo speakers subwoofers and stuff. i graduated to computers and now moved on to electric vehicles. i need 14 credits for a two year degree in electrical technology at the community college i started in 95 drooped out went back in 05 completed semestar but moved and did not get back in time. defaulted on student loan. waiting for an income to fix and return.i forgot a lot of stuff. its starting to come back slowly. years of parting burnt some brain cells. i will get them back though. Ev technology helps and i find it very stimulating.

wow... 60mph for 100miles, in a big heavy vehicle. That's gonna take some doing. Are you prepared to spend $25,000+ on a battery pack??.... and the rest. Your gonna need a powerful motor and mega controller. Your talking about a $50,000 project.

Go light weight, reduce your top speed, cut back your range a bit.... and your gonna save a lot of cash.

how about 30 batteries and 360 volt motor $50 each battery = 1500 for batteries. will that = 60 mph. also replacing as many
metal parts with fiberglass for less weight. im all for making things happen at lower cost. getting the lightest truck possible and replacing any parts with fiberglass possible. i would like to see as many conversions as possible. its great for the environment. and the ecomemy. creating jobs in the industry. tell me more about large heavy duty electric motors and mega controllers. if you buy batteries in bulk they are cheaper. like anything else. thats where i came up with the $1500 for 30 batteries. $2000 if they are shipped. I would like EV conversions to become the next big thing. lets
get togeather and try to make it affordable. also what do you think about the generator idea i posted. running off of non fossile fuels to charge electric vehicles. any chance of developing. come on guys lets paint the whole world green.

The best way to minimise weight is to avoid those lead battery's !
but weight is not your main enemy for range on a freeway,...the key players in that game are "drag" ..(wind resistance), and "speed",.. which is directly associated with aero wind resistance.
Why chose a pick up ?..one of the worst aero drag vehicles available !
So , consider a lighter, more low drag vehicle, and target a lower speed whilst using a lighter weight battery chemistry.

Your $50 12 volt batteries are likely 40Ahr regular car starter batterys ?
That would give you 360X40 = 14.4 kWhr of battery power.
Remember that with those lead cells you wont get more than 60% of useful capacity, so really you would have about 9kWhr available to go that 100mls. That means you could only use 90Whr per mile ! :shock:
The best EV's find it hard to use less than 300Whrs per mile.
You would need at least 3 times as many of those lead batterys to make the distance....but , now how much would that lot weigh ?? :shock:

120 of these > http://www.evworks.com.au/index.php?product=BAT-LFP200AHA

would start to get you there.... 192V 400AH pack = about $30,000 US.

$1500 will get you a nice e-bike pack.

maybe start with a bike, and work your way up.

i have a question for hillhater why would i use car starter batteries. they are not deep cycle rechargeable. also i would buy the best rechargeable deep cell batt for the price. or maby use lipo if funds allow. the 360 volt motor is the answer to performance problem. not the batteries. also please comment on the vegestable oil running electric generator for onboard recharging. we need to think big and overcome all obstacles for a true green running society.

why i picked the truck is because i scrap metal sometimes. plus move people or things. i may need to use the freeway and need to be able to maintain legal speeds so whatever the minimum is for NY state is sufficient. 45 mph max is ok with me otherwise.

Willow said:
wow... 60mph for 100miles, in a big heavy vehicle. That's gonna take some doing. Are you prepared to spend $25,000+ on a battery pack??.... and the rest. Your gonna need a powerful motor and mega controller. Your talking about a $50,000 project.

Go light weight, reduce your top speed, cut back your range a bit.... and your gonna save a lot of cash.

It could be cheap today in the US at least.

GM Volt packs seem to go for ~$2,500 here. Each one can be cycled to ~>10kWh. That makes it pretty low budget to have a 30kWh EV pack if you can find the space to hold them all (and if you had 30-40kWh you wouldn't need to hook up the cell cooling BS).

It's a shame he missed this sale, because he could have had 46kWh (enough to easily do 100miles of highway speeds in an S10) for sub $10k, and already built into packs for him. That sale was for real, I think it was even cheaper when he first posted the sale. I think it's a fantastic kind and fortuitous thing to do for the DIY EV builders like ourselves. You did an awesomely beneficial thing for the grassroots EV moment Jack, thank you for showing kindness!

http://store.evtv.me/proddetail.php?prod=Betterplace&cat=23

latecurtis said:
i have a question for hillhater why would i use car starter batteries. they are not deep cycle rechargeable..
Because, for the $50 each that you quoted, you are not going to find deep cycle , or even high capacity batteries !

.... i picked the truck is because i scrap metal sometimes. plus move people or things.
That doesnt mean you have to drive a truck 100% of the time.
You could have a lighter , more aero, sedan or hatch and rent or borrow a truck to suit when needed...OR, as i prefer, have a trailer that you can use when required for those big jobs.
The "on board" generator idea has been hashed around many tines using every combo of motor/generator/fuel imaginable.
Look up the "range extender" discussions.

after i bot the ZENN car at auction i found the reciept for the last set of DEKA gel 100Ah packs cost him. for 6 12V batteries installed, and they even charged him to tow the car in, he paid over $3k.

they lasted about 3k miles to now and have maybe 40-50% max capacity when it finally warms up. maybe 40Ah useful in terms of lifepo4.

i feel i wasted a lotta money buying all the ping packs from people over the last few years, and now i am gonna have a 50Ah 24S ping pack that cost about $900-1000 so far, and another $100 for 2 BMSs.

mark poole gave me 8 of the 6S 8Ah nanotech last year and i will add another 3 of the 5S to get to 21S at 24Ah wide, about $1300 worth, and another set of turnigy i just bot all the 5S from that guy and some of mine, total $370. so that is to compare real cost of current SLA to a mix of lifepo4 and lipo.

about $2500 for almost 130Ah of lithium versus maybe getting 70Ah out of a new 100Ah peukert puking SLA that would cost me about $2500 to replace from the best sources i can find online now. that would only last another 3k miles.

so i would say, the case is proven that lead is dead and more expensive by thousands of cycles than lithium. and it will only get better imo.

Back