Enertrac hub motor cutting out

henrynz said:
Quick update: Mark from Enertrac saw one of my video's and thought there was a possibility that the magnet ring inside the hub motor was spinning. He offered to fix it free of charge. To check this, I pulled off one of the side covers and marked the magnet ring against the hub body with a marker. I reassembled the hub motor, took it for a test ride until it started cutting out/jerking again. I then disassembled it again. The mark had not moved so I believe I've ruled out this as a problem. It has furthered my conviction that the controller is at fault.

I'm on the wait list for a Nucular controller - around 4 months. Will update when I make any progress here.

Just to be sure, I think you should run that test again, but mark on the magnets too to make sure their adhesive didn't come loose and allow all of the magnets to slide within the magnet retaining ring. That is a somewhat common failure.

I opened up the Kelly to have a look inside. Not my area of expertise but interesting.

First noticed there was a missing piece of plastic in one of the molded stud surrounds, looks like it cracked off during assembly.

Most of the rubber seals around the studs were easy to remove but one had some glue holding it in and it ripped.

Most concerning was the group of three connectors with glue all over them. It is a really soft glue (can be scratched off with fingers) and it's inside the connectors and on some of the pins. The connectors also look to be only partially pushed in when the glue was applied as you can see in one of the pictures. In saying that - I think if a pin wasn't making a connection then I'd had a permanent issue, not intermittent like my problem....maybe, I'm guessing.

I also realised that there is no LED status light, even though the manual has LED fault codes. I'd always assumed it was under the sticker but it's not. Can't find an LED anywhere.

IMG_6589.JPGIMG_6590.JPGIMG_6591 SMALL.jpgIMG_6592.JPGIMG_6593.JPGIMG_6594.JPGIMG_6596.JPG

Any up date to this? I noticed in the settings on the Kelly controller on one of the picture that it wasn't set to max current. Only 80%. There no reason why it shouldn't be put to 90% current.

Back