Ever been chased by a dog while riding your e-bike?

morph999

100 kW
Anyone got any good dog stories? Were any of you able to out run a dog with your fast e-bike? I've still not been chased by one around where I live.

No but I had a short-legged dog named Biff that I clocked at 35mph. He loved to run.

But I was once caught by a cat. Just riding by minding my own business when this fool cat ran out from between two parked cars, freaked out and clamped onto my leg with all of his claws. With the cat fully engaged, I limped back to house where he came from and asked the good people if they could peel the thing off of me. Fortunately, they were as gracious as I was bloody.

Cool cat story!
Apparently killer squirrels have the same instinct to jump for something vertical. That's too often your front fork leg and they miss. The bike was moving so they hit the spokes and got caught. At the moment when the squirrel comes around and hits the fork leg, you're airborne. If it's a carbon fork you're probably walking home if that's a remaining option.

Within the last two weeks I've had a dog chase me for the first time ever on the ebike.
The dog's owner was present so I screamed, "PLEASE CONTROL YOUR ANIMAL".
His yelling "Buddy! Buddy! Buddy!" didn't have any results so I screamed, "GET OFF THE COUCH!", and Buddy went home.

Never been chased by one, but i'm the owner of a Samoyed/retreiver mix by the name of Sandy. :D

This animal has Energy that no lithium chemistry can dream of delivering.. and a Tired sandy. is a Quiet sandy.. :wink:

Walking was ok, had to teach her that to start with , but getting this dog tired required running and a Samoyed don't do " off-Leash " in the city... :|

Sooooo.. started biking a block at a time, when i say " Right ", she goes right ( One front tire up the ass was all it took to teach that trick ! :twisted: ).. and if i want to turn left i just lock the leash and give her a tug. She's good for 15 km/h non stop.

From the age of 6 months to 5 years we have covered alot of ground ! Body harness and pulley leash in hand, she stays to my Right side ( dog training school says on the left but when biking with traffic, i want the dog on my right.. so that's what she knows ! )

About the squirrles, yeah, poor innocent furry things have an addiction to bicycle spokes.. i've been the victim of a few kamikazies..

Sandy:
[googlevid]4876913107973790697[/googlevid]

This past Sunday I was riding through the beach parking lot at around 6:00 pm between a long line of cars leaving the lot and a row of parked cars. Out of the blue a very large blond colored Lab of some sort came charging :shock: out from between two parked cars with a LOUD and deep "I would eat you if I could catch you BARK". I literally had nowhere to go, but luckily whatever his leash was tied to gave him just enough room to scare the raisins out of passers by but not actually....eat them.

Ypedal said:
. . . Walking was ok, had to teach her that to start with , but getting this dog tired required running and a Samoyed don't do " off-Leash " in the city... :|
Sandy could probably tow you home if smoke or sparks stopped you.
Samoyeds live to pull and love to dig.

SamSpeed said:
With the cat fully engaged, I limped back to house where he came from and asked the good people if they could peel the thing off of me.

Wow, you were much more tolerant than I would have been! :lol:

I have relied on chasing the dog my whole life. Generally, it totally freaks them out if you attack them. Don't try it at home though, we're experts. It's kinda handy if the dog goes for your thoat, since you can then grab em and hold them with all four feet off the ground. If they aim lower, they have the advantage. Charging the dog before he gets to you though, often makes em back down. Turn and run, and you are meat. Keep the bike between you and the dog, and charge em with the bike.

We used to have a Sharpei, Shepard, mystery meat mix who would have made a pretty good sled dog because she pulled like a mo fo if she was sniffing something. And she was ALWASY sniffin stuff. I thought I would try giving her a walk while riding on my stand-up e-scooter, I mean I see people walking their dogs all the time while riding a bike or skateboard, why not on a scooter.

I walked the scooter and the dog to the sidewalk, and got ready to embark down the driveway into the street. I had Holly on a leash, but she saw a cat across the street and bolted to try and get that evil kitty. I didn't even make it down the 5 foot of driveway before I was lying in a bloody and crumpled heap in my own driveway with her still tugging at the other end of the leash. I never tried that again :oops:

At the moment when the squirrel comes around and hits the fork leg, you're airborne.

Wow, you must have big squirrels in your neighborhood. :shock:

I would have my money on forks and spokes making minced squirrel, you wouldn't even feel it.

I had a dog chasing me. It was rather pathetic attempt. That thing was trying it darnest to catch me. I had to slow down to about 10-15mph for it to catch up. I stopped. It was a friendly dog. I went on my way and it followed me for about 2 miles and gave up. It was really out of shape or something.

Are you kidding, I learned to deal with dogs from my bike as a kid throwing a paper route. Now I vacation every summer in the country in NE Alabama. Country dogs love bicyclists, see 'em as fresh meat. I've tamed 5 or 6 dogs with a 4oz. can of spray maice. One spirited dogger dodged my spray (I only spray when they are close and can bite); he only caught a faint whiff. The other dogs left off their attacks, but not 'Buger.' He came after me with an added vengence, and all the wiser about the maice spray. I stopped to explain to the owner that the bike was my only transportation. We became friends, the owner, myself, and Buger! Buger would come within 5 ft., roll over to show his belly while wagging his tail. After that he would run with me a ways but not get threatening. This last Spring Break, I was out in Alabam and didn't see him. I miss that scar faced dog. Unless they are short legged, 23mph doesn't outrun most canines.

PaulM said:
SamSpeed said:
With the cat fully engaged, I limped back to house where he came from and asked the good people if they could peel the thing off of me.

Wow, you were much more tolerant than I would have been! :lol:

That's a nice way of saying, "My leg would be the last thing that cat ever engaged."

John

In the military aircrat have a chaff ejector which disperses shredded foil as a trageting radar distraction.

Someone needs to invent a beef jerky chaff dispenser that can be mounted on the rear of a bike. Dog chases, hit button, eject shredded jerky, and continue evasive maneuvers. Sounds exciting.

I've only been attacked by a cat once. It was more freaky than any dog issues I've ever had. You just DON'T expect a house cat to come after you. I've kiled a few squirells before but never in the spokes.

This is a fun thread.

Bill

One more thing you can try is the 'Dazer'

http://www.dazer.com/dog-deterrent.jsp

A friend of mine in FLA walks many miles with his guide dog (he's blind) and carries a dazer. He's used it many times on the loose dogs down there and it works very well.

Bill

I hear that dogs do not like ammonia, and that you can carry a watergun filled with it....

...or if you want the McGyver effect you can strap a couple of pressurized containers to the chainstays with an electric trigger on the handlebars that sprays ammonia out the back into the faces of chasing dogs. :twisted:

Looks cool. On the attack them first theory, meter men and postmen have carried umbrellas for years. Kinda like a puffer fish, suddenly you are huge and the dog has to stop to figure out how you did that.

Seriously, if you are in real trouble, dismount with the bike between you and the dog, and DONT RUN. Stand your ground and yell, just like they say to do with bears. Works 99% of the time. Packs of dogs are another story, for that you have to have a wall behind you. Main thing is, don't act like prey, act like a predator.

Grinhill said:
At the moment when the squirrel comes around and hits the fork leg, you're airborne.

Wow, you must have big squirrels in your neighborhood. :shock:

I would have my money on forks and spokes making minced squirrel, you wouldn't even feel it.
Killer Squirrels vs. Cyclists:
http://www.chainreaction.com/squirrels.htm

Killer Squirrels vs. Dogs:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/12/05/squirrel_attack/

Killer Squirrels vs. Opera:
http://www.metro.co.uk/weird/article.html?in_article_id=19306&in_page_id=2

Killer Squirrels are ready to die for their sinister cause. They even have their own website!
http://killersquirrels.net/

I hope you don't have to deal with killer skink ninjas down there. They'd be deadly for sure.

Around 1971 I cycled a road upholstered in frog leather. Some fresh enough for a crow's breakfast and some that had baked into their own flattened shadows on the tarmac. You can safely wager that doesn't happen there anymore.

TPA said:
I hear that dogs do not like ammonia, and that you can carry a watergun filled with it....

...or if you want the McGyver effect you can strap a couple of pressurized containers to the chainstays with an electric trigger on the handlebars that sprays ammonia out the back into the faces of chasing dogs. :twisted:
Nobody likes ammonia. At least the capsicum in a pepper spray isn't going to permanently blind the attacker.
Please don't use liquid ammonia on dogs. The only way it's safely done is by soaking a towel in ammonia and throwing that over the dog's head.
Vinegar or tobacco juice might be as effective as capsicum.

Zoot:
Around 1971 I cycled a road upholstered in frog leather. Some fresh enough for a crow's breakfast and some that had baked into their own flattened shadows on the tarmac. You can safely wager that doesn't happen there anymore.

Sounds like the infamous Cane Toad (Bufo marinus) from Queensland. They're still as big a problem as ever, and heading south and west to other states.

Last time I was over your way, I was way more scared of those raccoons in Stanley Park than the squirrels. :p

So here is something slightly more on-topic:

"I've really had it with my dog," said the first guy to his neighbor. "He'll chase anyone on a bicycle"

"Hmmm, that is a problem," said the neighbor. "What are you thinking of doing about it?"

"Guess the only answer is to confiscate his bike!"
:oops:

Back