ezee motor clutch failure

dean74

1 mW
Hi All,
Thought I'd share this, my Ezee motor's clutch has just failed after around 8000km. Please note this is not a complaint, I know I'm running this little motor well above recommended settings, just sharing my experience.

It's the 350rpm cassette version, running a custom 4p14s pack built from Telsa model 3 2170 cells, with a Phaserunner controller, set to 96A phase, 45A battery current limit, peak power is around 2200w (as per Cycle Analyst). It's installed on a 29er mountain bike.

I fitted a temp sensor (10k thermistor) to the motor when originally installed (see my other post about it), so have been able to see motor temp on the CA, and fwiw it has never gone into thermal rollback.

The motor was working normally and then just went click click click (or crunch crunch crunch?) and lost drive at anything over 200w. I limped it home slowly and disassembled...

PXL_20211211_003424836.jpg
lots of black grease around the gears, and some small metal fragments too :-(
(in retrospect i should have got a lift home!)

PXL_20211211_010130252.jpg
this is the keyway, note the damage on it, am not sure if this happened during use, or after it broke. This made getting the old clutch assembly off quite difficult. Once removed I could see that the slot in the shaft itself was a little deformed/burred up, so I linished around/over it with a flat stone to remove the high spots before reassembly.

PXL_20211211_004318041.MP.jpg
The third pic shows the crack in the housing that holds the planetary gears and one way clutch.

Lucky for me, I bought a spare set of gears a few months ago, (thanks to Glow Worm Bicycles in Aus - the only place on earth that had one!), so it's all running again now.

Would like to hear from anyone else who's had the same part fail?? Is it common, if so which controller are you using?

I originally thought that if anything was going to break it would be the gears, but they all came out looking like brand new, as did the crown and pinion.

If anyone has a supplier for the gear assembly please let me know as I'd like to keep a spare just in case.

In my first Fusin geared hub, I had the same clutch failure (crack); I was able to temporarily fix it on the roadside with a hose clamp around the clutch. This worked to let me limp home, but it left ground-off aluminum from the clamp scraping the sidecover in the motor. If the pics are still on the ES server, then they are in my DayGlo Avenger thread, near the end, about a decade back. :)

FWIW, it is possible to clamp the clutch "closed" at the crack very tightly and then weld the crack, then grind it all smooth and reassemble it, as long as you have all the rollers and springs intact.

Back