• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

eZee rear hub axle diameter too wide

centrinoblue

100 µW
Hello all, I'm just jumping in with my first project converting a Brodie Bandit hardtail using a 26" rear hub eZee kit from ebikes(Grin Technologies).

I didn't get very far before I ran into two problems:

1) The brake rotor doesn't seem to align with the existing caliper. I'm not too worried about this as I should be able to make some adjustments to the caliper mounts.

2) The new axle diameter is larger than the rear dropouts on the bike. I don't have anything to measure with but from what I can tell it looks like the dropouts are 10mm and the axle diameter is 14mm. So I have a few questions:
a) it's not clear to me whether the axle should have flattened sides or not. It does on the gears/threaded side but not on the disk brake side. Is that normal? I am assuming it is.
b) Should I file only the dropouts or both the dropouts and create flat sides on the axle itself?
c) is it 'safe' to file the dropouts 2 more mm on each side? It is a steel frame so I assume it should be ok.

Thank you in advance. pix attached.

axle-1.jpg

Regards,
Sean

Attachments

• dropout-2.jpg
    dropout-2.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 1,330
  • dropout-3.jpg
    dropout-3.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 1,331
That's strange; it should have flatted axle on both ends. I can't think of a reason it wouldn't, since without that it won't fit in a typical bicycle's dropouts, unless the frame it was made for is not a typical frame (which I doubt, but I've never had an eZee).

The caliper alignment is probably a common problem with various disc-capable hubs, as I have read of that before. Probably have to adjust at the caliper, or use spacers on the rotor if the rotor is simply too close to the hub. If it's too far from the hub, spacer washers on the axle might help.

the axle should have flats on both sides. that's what keeps it from rotating backwards while it's driving you forward.

give grin/ebike.ca a call and ask them, perhaps somehow you ended up with a motor that missed a manufacturing step.

ignoring the flats on the one side of the axle, do both sides have the same overall diameter?

a little bit of dropout filing is common but you shouldn't need to remove major meat.

Thanks for the quick responses. I'm glad I stopped filing and started asking questions. I will check with Grin and confirm the setup.

ignoring the flats on the one side of the axle, do both sides have the same overall diameter?

not sure. If I had to guess I would say the threaded side is narrower (12mm?) One thing I have learned is that I could use a caliper.

if you don't have flats on both sides, justin will want to know about it. pretty motor and disk. you need to take the nut off the side where there is no flat so we can see in another picture.

you need to take the nut off the side where there is no flat so we can see in another picture

I don't think I can remove the nut off this side of the axle as this is where the wires come out. But I did a quick video of me spinning the axle so you can see that it is round.

I will be calling the good folks at Grin when they open this morning.
[youtube]Bx5JTnIOelA[/youtube]

Bingo!

It looked to me like that assembly wasn't meant to be touched but I see the flats now. Hopefully this will also allow for my brake to line up as well now.

thanks everyone.

Back