ezip trailz with rc turnigy lipo battery

I have put a turnigy 22.2v 5000mah 25c 6s lipo turnigy battery on my ezip trailz. I charged the battery with a imax b6 clone from off ebay. And i charged the battery to 24 volts 5ah. All I can say is wow what a difference in performance over the heavy SLA that came with the bike. I searched all over the net for information regarding using just one 22.2v rc battery with the trailz and all i can find was info on people putting the packs in parallel for high voltages like 44, 72 volt packs for there hub motors.
Well here is my review of this battery. The battery weighs like 3 pounds and the bike rides so much better and easier without all the weight. The miles you get is comparable to a new SLA currie pack without all the maintenance and no voltage sag.

SLA needs to be charged immediately , and just sucks in general . Lipo
Makes a huge difference in weight and voltage sag is less in my experience .
I think you should add one more brick in parallel , hobby king has 4MM bullet
Connector pre built with pararell harness ,makes it easy.
Have fun out there.

Only problem with putting the batteries in parallel is my ezip trailz controller wont except more than 27 volts. I have a 2010 trailz. Up to 2008 u can overvolt. Im happy with peddle assist. I dont need a moped i need exercise. I will be getting one of those nano tech 25v 7s lipos and a 22.2v 8000mah and just switch them out for my long rides. Hell the batteries are so light and small can carry 20 of them fully charged and bike over 100 miles in a day. I also love the fact that the rc lipos are so cheap

shawnbfromjersey said:
Only problem with putting the batteries in parallel is my ezip trailz controller wont except more than 27 volts.
In parallel they will still be 22/24v,.. it will simply double your range and give even less voltage sag under load.
It would also result in a longer life span ( more recharge cycles) since you halve the discharge load on each pack.
I hope you have read ALL the lipo care and maintenance info.. V important !

You should learn the difference between parallel and serial connections but I can almost guarantee you'll be a "convert" from now on, LOL...

Actually, the last Turnigy 20C 6S 5Ah RC Lipoly bricks I put on a scale came in around 1.6lbs ea. A 12S2P pack weighed just shy of 6.3lbs including wires and connectors.

Parallel 2qty 6S 5Ah and you'd have a nice 22-24V 10Ah pack weighing roughly 3.5lbs. And not too hard to find a place to put it.

But, be very aware of the potential fireball you'll be carrying around. These things contain very flammable solvent and can easily ignite if punctured and/or over-charged/discharged. DO NOT TAKE THIS BATTERY LIGHTLY....

Wow guess you can tell im new to this thing. I googled parallel and series. I now understand. I will order another battery next payday along with a parallel battery harness and parallel balance lead for charger. Im also learning how to solder. I messed up some nice ec3 connectors by melting the plastic. So for now im using the sloppy twist wire and duct tape method and aligator clips for charging. Im very carefull not to have to battery+ - touch.

Ykick said:
You should learn the difference between parallel and serial connections but I can almost guarantee you'll be a "convert" from now on, LOL...

Actually, the last Turnigy 20C 6S 5Ah RC Lipoly bricks I put on a scale came in around 1.6lbs ea. A 12S2P pack weighed just shy of 6.3lbs including wires and connectors.

Parallel 2qty 6S 5Ah and you'd have a nice 22-24V 10Ah pack weighing roughly 3.5lbs. And not too hard to find a place to put it.

But, be very aware of the potential fireball you'll be carrying around. These things contain very flammable solvent and can easily ignite if punctured and/or over-charged/discharged. DO NOT TAKE THIS BATTERY LIGHTLY....
Yes i always balance charge and watch each cell voltage while charging. If one cell gets close to 4.2v i stop charging. I dont store the battery fully charged i try to bring the voltage down to 22v to prevent cell damage and extend life of battery. I think rc batteries are better than a lipo with a bms

shawnbfromjersey said:
Yes i always balance charge and watch each cell voltage while charging. If one cell gets close to 4.2v i stop charging. I dont store the battery fully charged i try to bring the voltage down to 22v to prevent cell damage and extend life of battery. I think rc batteries are better than a lipo with a bms

Read up around here and you'll find many of us avoid 4.2v/cell top charge. 4.15c/cell is my personal limit and you won't sacrifice much more than 250mAh of capacity, if that.

Storage at that SOC for up to a week or two isn't really hard on these cells IMO. I leave mine around 4-4.15V for long stretches and they still seem okay after 2-3 years. What type of charger are you using? RC Charger?

I'm using a imax b6 clone from ebay with the cheap $9 power supply. That's good news to here about the storage limit. I did bring two cells today to 4.2 right befor my commute to work. Won't be doing it again

Update. I had purchased some sla batteries right before i found out about lipo. So i thought i should wire them in series to make 36v and try and see if my 2008 ezip trailz would take it. Low and behold she took it. 36V and all its glory! I duct tape them bad boys to my top rack went for a spin to the super market and flew 25 mph with peddling all the way there. What a huge difference.! So now this opens up a whole new can of worms. Im thinking lipo 36v 8000mah zippy or nano tech. Maybe i can try my two lipos in series for 44v hahaha.

shawnbfromjersey said:
I have put a turnigy 22.2v 5000mah 25c 6s lipo turnigy battery on my ezip trailz. I charged the battery with a imax b6 clone from off ebay. And i charged the battery to 24 volts 5ah. All I can say is wow what a difference in performance over the heavy SLA that came with the bike. I searched all over the net for information regarding using just one 22.2v rc battery with the trailz and all i can find was info on people putting the packs in parallel for high voltages like 44, 72 volt packs for there hub motors.
Well here is my review of this battery. The battery weighs like 3 pounds and the bike rides so much better and easier without all the weight. The miles you get is comparable to a new SLA currie pack without all the maintenance and no voltage sag.
Wouldn't it have been easier/better to parallel two 22.2v 5amh batteries to get 22/24v 10amh ?
I'm new on this and still figuring this out.

Apparently he wanted extra speed from more voltage more than he wanted more Ah capacity.

Back