F-37 Stealth Fighter or AFT mid drive kit on FS bike...

giblet

1 W
Hi

This is my first post. I'm new to the ebike scene although I've been reading a lot about electric bikes since last year and now is the time for me to get one.

There are a lot of opinions, choices and views to consider but I basically want a electric powered bike that I can take off road and enjoy with as little maintenance as possible.

I've done research and have narrowed down my choice to either an 1680w AFT kit mounted to a FS bike or to buy a pre built F-37 Stealth Fighter.

I've tried to list what I think are the advantages/disadvantages of each but would like some expert opinions from endless sphere gurus to perhaps give some other considerations to think about before I spend a considerable (for me) amount of money...

Any views and help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Stealth Advantages:

- Complete bike, setup and ready to run
- Lower maintenance than mid drive kit due to direct drive hub
- Battery built into frame

Stealth Disadvantages:

- Slightly higher price (+ £500 from my intended FS bike and full AFT kit)
- No way to fit bike on car bike rack
- Bike looks more like motocrosser possibly attracting undue police attention
- Possible hill climb motor heating issues
- Not as efficient as mid drive

AFT mid drive kit on FS Bike Advantages:

- Bike still looks like a bike (more stealth than a Stealth bike)
- Better efficiencies (apparently than HUB powered motor)
- Lighter bike 25kg all up vs 34kg
- Possibly better weight distribution due to mid drive motor placement and battery in backpack
- Can fit bike on car rack for transportation
- Will need to manually build bike so can learn more about converting bike to electric (can also be disadvantage as will possibly make mistakes and increase costs)
- Can climb steeper and trickier hills

AFT mid drive kit on FS Bike Disadvantages:

- Will need to manually build bike - mistakes and time mean initally less riding more tinkering (can also be advantage as will learn exactly how everything works and can fix it)
- Chains, gears and sprockets will wear
- Lower top speed

I have the aft mid drive. Ton of videos in my thread.
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=57337

Where do you live?
Will you mostly be doing offroad? Is it tight single track or fireroads?

I mainly ride off road in single track. I really love the aft mid drive. It works really well on trail. But honestly, if it really was only a little more for fighter, I would have gotten that. For me, it would have been 3 times as much. So if you can afford the Stealth, go for that. If you are more on a budget, the aft mid drive is awesome!

Thanks for the reply - I thought I'd posted in the wrong forum :)

Yeah I'm going to be off road in UK mostly. Reason for close cost is that the bike I'm looking to buy to put the kit on is £1600 to £2000 second hand. With the cost of the motor, battery and all upgrades I think I'm looking at another £2000approx - although haven't had any formal quote from Jim yet for AFT kit so might be a little less than I've worked out.

I can get the F-37 Stealth Fighter in Oz as my girlfriend is visiting family next month and at current exchange looking at £4100 - so not much difference. Still haven't got exact rates for shipping though.

One thing that really is swaying me is that a bike with an AFT kit can go on my expensive rear mounted cycle carrier whereas I won't be able to transport the stealth as easily... quite important as the best DH/XC trails for me are 50 miles away.

Still reading more about European companies making Stealth knockoffs I might wait a bit because there are some sweet looking ebikes coming out... still they all seem to be HUBs not mids... I wonder why there a no companies making nice fast powerful off road MID Drive bikes?

Decisions, Decisions....

It really depends on your situation, like you mention there are advantages and disadvantages for both.

I also have an AFT kit I bought a few years ago. The main advantages of a mid-drive kit i've found are it's hill climbing abilities, and the fact you can put the kit on the best bike you can afford and one that suits your needs (eg lightweight or dual suspension etc etc). I would love a dual suspension bike but couldn't afford one at the time :cry: ...i'm also looking at upgrading my grease filled gearbox to the AFT EMAX oil filled version...like you say by installing the kit myself i've learnt all about it and am confident of taking the motor on/off myself..

I regularly use my bike on bike trails and the road so stealth is also important for me, you can paint all the components black but I think AFT now offers black anodising as an option...

Hi mate,i am in uk too and have been using my AFT kit for over a year and 3600 miles.
I have just replaced my planetary gears as they where slightly worn.(cost me a whole £20)
I have all the emax upgrades that they had at the time.
The only problems i have had are ,eating chains and sprockets(which are cheap and easy to replace) and i snapped my rear mech hanger when my gears were out of alignment and i went WOT .
I will sing praises for the AFT as it just keeps working and its not a hub motor.
Darren

Well I've now discovered some french guys building powerful mid drive off road bikes and I'm going to wait a while and see what they produce.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=lmx+electric+bikes

Quite impressed with what they've shown so far although obviously early development I think they are on the right lines.

I think there's going to be a lot more choice in the coming months. I think (for me) it is prudent to wait for a while longer.

Oh yeah. I like his bikes. I wouldn't mind getting one. I think he is developing one with pedals and gears.

Back