few ebike questions

OK so i found one of http://www.flyebike.com/fly1 in the trash. i have a feeling the motor may be fried, as it difficult to turn by hand. it had a 60v battery and controller set up to run to a 48v350w motor. Is this level of overvolting an issue? What would be the best way of converting to a 60v setup? Are there any quality 60v hub motors i can replace this one with? I already have a decent battery but this is all new to me. My goal is to go no more han 20mph any help is appreciated.

There is a good chance the controller is fried. Try to disconnect the fat motor wires from the controller and see if the turning resistance goes away. If it spins freely with the controller disconnected, the motor is probably good. A new controller should be fairly inexpensive. The motor can likely handle 60v, but the current limit will determine whether it overheats or not. I have a "500W" hub motor on one of my bikes that I run at 2500W. There are lots of controller choices out there, but probably won't be compatible with the stock display (if it has one).

If it has lead-acid batteries, they suck even when new. A lithium battery will be a big improvement over lead.

There is no stock display and i don't need one. I've already upgraded to a large lithium battery that should triple my range. I removed all wires and the motor is still hard to turn. I also found a frayed hall sensor wire and the motor would attempt to turn with the wire put back in place. This leads me to believe the motor is fried. I ordered a 60v one from overseas but i was hoping i could get a recommendation for a quality one that would last a while.

Yes, sounds like a short in the motor. One more thing to check is many times the phase wires short where they pass through the axle. If you take apart the motor you can disconnect the phase wires from the windings and test, or just pull the wires out of the axle and inspect for damage. If the phase wires are damaged, there is a chance the motor windings are still good and can be used.

If the motor windings are shorted, it's pretty hopeless unless you want to try rewinding them (lots of work).

I have no idea what motor would fit in that bike, but I'm sure there is something out there that would work.

Back