Fiberglass battery case

Carbon and Kevlar are amazing materials, but tricky to work with.

would suggest maybe to put a thin coat of resin over the offending cloth... then a thin coat of filler, a light sand with wet and dry, and then use sandable primer before you paint.

Stick to fibreglass next time.... and instead of glassing over the "plug" (the foam formed shape) make a mould using casting plaster or silicone, then glass into the mould using PVA release agent (coat your foam with a sandable substance (plaster even) and a thin coat of resin)- . Do it in two parts (left and right).... you can then join the two sections together later.

This method will almost eliminate sanding the finished piece, and it will end up exactly the same size as the form you created in the first place.

that said, the bodywork I made was done 'the hard way'.... given the recessed forms and critical internal dimensions I was forced to glass over my plug - wich was made of timber and coated in resin. Then spent a few days sanding and filling.

View attachment 1
Faring_edited-1.jpg

Hey carv'n marv'n, I was looking at your avatar ... looks like a nice build. What is the general idea behind it and do you have more pictures? Top notch fiberglassing!

Back