Finally starting to be able to wheelie my bike! Wheelie BLOG

Or maybe a "hooligan riding" add on battery? Could be a backpack, or even on the triclamp of the forks like many has done. Think bisoinvan(?) the red bike with extended swing arm and a Revolt mounted on the swing arm is doing custom brackets that allow you to easily attach or dettach extra battery on your tri clamp fork. The added weight on the front wheel should be more then accounted for by the extra power from additional pack.

That way you can ride faster/harder/longer with a little extra weight or slim down for technical or everyday riding.

Found a better wheelie technique. One of the big problems is balance once your up.

I read briefly someplace where someone said to sit a bit further up. I've been sitting a bit further back because it is easier to get the front wheel up. Lately I've gotten so good at pulling up the front that it doesn't matter to sit further back anymore. I decided to sit more normal on the seat and not as far back. It makes it a lot easier to balance yourself and to even have more control of the bike once your up in a wheelie.

Somehow I think I have discovered this before where I noticed sitting in the normal position is best for control, but I didn't continue to do it because it was easier to get the front wheel up.

I've gotten so good at getting the front wheel up that I can just pull up the front wheel at even very high speeds now, I rely more on my strength then on the throttle which makes it easier to control getting the wheel up. At high speeds I just lean forward, and then quickly jolt back to yank the front up.

I've had my best wheelies as a result of pedaling the bike up with no power then using the motor to sustain it. Using the motor to lift the bike initially can be a bit twitchy. I'm not very good at them but pedaling seems to produce the best results.

I've been working on learning trials skills on my non ebike and I find the secret to almost everything I try is body positioning rather than brute strength. If you can stand up and try to almost sit on your rear tire, the front comes up with almost no effort. If you find yourself really pulling on stuff you are probably doing it wrong.

Try lowering the seat so you can stand way back on the bike.

I have also been on the receiving end of a DH pedal spike. Took forever to heal.

A

DanGT86 said:
I've had my best wheelies as a result of pedaling the bike up with no power then using the motor to sustain it. Using the motor to lift the bike initially can be a bit twitchy. I'm not very good at them but pedaling seems to produce the best results.

I've been working on learning trials skills on my non ebike and I find the secret to almost everything I try is body positioning rather than brute strength. If you can stand up and try to almost sit on your rear tire, the front comes up with almost no effort. If you find yourself really pulling on stuff you are probably doing it wrong.

Try lowering the seat so you can stand way back on the bike.

I have also been on the receiving end of a DH pedal spike. Took forever to heal.

Yes body position plays a big deal. Pedaling also helps to lift up the front.

The problem here is that I start most of my wheelies around 20 MPH and higher, this means pedaling won't help at those high speeds. You really need to yank that front up if you are lacking in motor power. When my voltage gets lower I do sit back further and also have to yank harder to get the front up at higher wheelie speeds.

Sitting further back does make it easier to get the front of the bike up. The problem here is that, I find if you are sitting back you lose stability and control while in a wheelie. It seems that sitting in my normal upwards sitting position allows me to wheelie longer.

Interesting thing I wanted to add.

I took a few week break from riding my bike. I thought for sure I would have difficulty to wheelie after so much time off.

I was surprised to find out that I actually had no difficulty wheelieing the bike after that time off, and also it seems I am even better at it.

I've spoke before about how your brain needs time and rest to learn. I've also noticed this with foreign languages when I haven't spoken the language in months or years, that I seem to be better with the language when I start speaking again and hearing it.

It seems your brain needs time to learn and make those connections more permanent, and the only way it does this is simply with lots of time. Months and years even help for real complicated stuff like languages or even wheelieing a damn ebike, because it is so damn difficult to do.

After not having good control of my bike when doing wheelies, I decided to do some research online about turning a bike in a wheelie, found out that you pretty much need to be high up in a wheelie in order to have steering control. If you are not up high and chasing the wheelie, you won't have much control.

I found this to be true after practice, you really need to get that balance point and make sure the wheelie is up high or you will have no control where the bike goes.

The problem with this is that the higher you wheelie the bike the more scary it is because you are at the point where you can flip the bike back. With enough practice it will get easier.

I think you are on the right path. 12 o clock wheelies can be scary tough. throttle control and brake control is king. Cool of you to share this.
I assume you compile a how to video too?

Some years ago I was in the UK for a track day event riding Triumph Triple and having a blast.
As our track time came to an end a new company entered and that was a wheelie training/stunt riding company with some clever custom made electronic gadgets. It was something that could look like a bicycle fender mount, you know those "V"'s that bolts to you fender and your hublock. If that thing hit the ground it would cut the engine power just enough to avoid flipping the motorbike. While we enjoyed watching we talked with one of the guys and he said people new to stunt riding have a hard time building trust to go high up with front wheel so they made this anti flip device, kind of like stunt riders training wheels :) Don't know how many hours the young ones had on the track but did seem rather confident handling those bikes.

The instructor himself was a total maniac and did wheelies like that bike was part of him ass on tank, handlebars etc, and he did fastest and the longest stoppies I ever seen.

i found this on a blog somewhere...
....If you can loft your front wheel for 5 or 6 pedal strokes, that’s plenty for real world riding. You can easily get your front wheel over trail obstacles—a handy skill on technical climbs.

To ride your wheelie:
It sounds like you’re not leaning back far enough. This stems from two causes: 1) You have never gone back that far, and it is a foreign place. 2) You are afraid of looping out. When you approach the balance point—the Point of No Return—you tense up. You cannot find balance when you are tense. You must make friends with that place.

030408wheelie.jpg

Put on some flat pedals or at least some flat shoes. Go somewhere safe and loop out on purpose. Yes: Sit down, lean forward, shift your weight back, straighten your arms and pedal hard. When you reach the balance point—and you feel that jolt of fear—just step off the back of the bike. Do this over and over until you simply lift the front end, rotate backward then walk it out. (Thanks to Steve Wentz for this trick. He used it to help me with my manuals.)

When that fear is gone, start playing with your balance. Rock into your wheelie at a moderate speed; you must leave room to slow down or speed up.
– If you start to fall backward, give it a little brake. At first you’ll give it too much, and your front wheel will slam down. As this fear starts to subside, get more subtle with the lever. It only takes a tiny bit. – If you start to fall forward, pedal a bit harder. Again, it doesn’t take much. – Maintain balance by alternating brake and pedal pressure. Good wheelie riders do this constantly, and very subtly.
.. I think i got it now !.....
325-stunts0.jpg

Just amazing, it seems the less I ride my bike the better I am at doing wheelies with it.

I have not used the bike in a while and when I took it out recently I had better control than ever. I am much better at turning the bike while in a wheelie, probably because I'm much better at getting the bike higher up into the wheelie and at the balance point. It is a great feeling when you hit that balance point because you can just ride in that point for a while without using any throttle.

Key to success is practice and stretching that practice out for months. Will probably take 1 to 2 years to master wheelies and I assume when you master them on an ebike you will be able to ride very long distances.

offroader, if you don't mind, I'm going to join you in my wheeling adventures

[youtube]dlOWhWQ3P4s[/youtube]

Offroader said:
Thanks, check out the size of the battery I put in it. 280 cells, over 3KW. I also have a custom cooling in the motor so I can drive it hard and not overheat.

Why even have pedals tho? They clearly don't have a chain.... Why not removed pedals and put pegs, that way your feet aren't always off center and such?

drew12345 said:
offroader, if you don't mind, I'm going to join you in my wheeling adventures

Please post your progress. Would be interested to see how long and how difficult you find it.

It is probably a good idea to learn on a bicycle or even a motorcycle before learning on an ebike. I believe lots of the difficulty is learning the balance point, much harder to learn this with an ebike because it is harder to control the bike.

My bike is out of commission now, but last time I rode I did my longest wheelie yet. It is easier to control the bike if you have more power or your bike is higher in volts at top of charge.

Mündawg said:
Offroader said:
Thanks, check out the size of the battery I put in it. 280 cells, over 3KW. I also have a custom cooling in the motor so I can drive it hard and not overheat.

Why even have pedals tho? They clearly don't have a chain.... Why not removed pedals and put pegs, that way your feet aren't always off center and such?

Actually that was when I was building the bike and didn't yet mount the chain yet. I always have a chain on it.

I wanted to mount pegs but Qulbix never made the footpeg option for the Q76R. Someone has to design a bottom bracket attached footpeg option. I don't see why it would be so hard to make something like this. Reason it doesn't exist is there was never a demand for it, but now with Electric bikes there probably would be.

I thought of the foot pegs for mid drive build. There used to be a thread here somewhere where one had lots of good pics how he made pegs fit the bottom bracket but it seems those pics are all gone. Hate it when that happen, often pics are what is needed for best visual aid to grasp an idea and when those pics suddenly are on the IBG (internet burial ground) that is really messed up.

<OT rant>
I wish there was forum software that made copies of pics posted even when published on other sites, copies that could automatically replace
original pics if needed to. Could be a member only feature
</rant>

macribs said:
I thought of the foot pegs for mid drive build. There used to be a thread here somewhere where one had lots of good pics how he made pegs fit the bottom bracket but it seems those pics are all gone. Hate it when that happen, often pics are what is needed for best visual aid to grasp an idea and when those pics suddenly are on the IBG (internet burial ground) that is really messed up.

<OT rant>
I wish there was forum software that made copies of pics posted even when published on other sites, copies that could automatically replace
original pics if needed to. Could be a member only feature
</rant>

Were they real foldable footpegs or just a rod clamped through the bottom bracket. You really do want to be able to mount real motorcycle footpegs where they fold in if you hit anything.

Sorry offroader. Old mans memory and too low on RAM :oops:

Foot pegs in bottom bracket should be rather easy to do, I was gonna sketch up a mock up but time got away from me so have not gotten any further, and I still have a couple of wooden mock ups for different project to complete before I put more on my plate.

Get yourself any 10-20 $ pegs and fiddle around with them, you will find a way. Maybe an adapter baseplate to attach to bottom bracket, or you could do like an "non-rolling axle" thing and secure it to the bottom bracket the way you would with a bicycle.

Took a fall today trying to do a wheelie, first time I actually fell. Have not done them in months and had a new motor, just started riding and wanted to show off to the mailman who was near my house.

Because I had my bike upside down and was working on it earlier in the day, my brakes need to be pumped a lot to get working and I didn't do this. I had no rear brake when I did the wheelie and went too high and I fell on my back. Didn't get hurt except for slight pain in knee and ass, bike is fine except very back of seat got ripped, which is not a big deal because I planned to rewrap the seat from another bigger rip on the top.

What sucked is I have a rule to always wear knee pads because that is what you are guaranteed to hurt if you fall, and I just forgot to put them on.

Back