First commute on my 'bent

kbarrett

10 kW
Got through the first half of my first commute on my 'bent.

I was doing a test run when I blew out the original BMS last month ... the new BMS is handling things well ... only needed a reset once when I tried an uphill start without pedaling. Only one stretch needed serious assistive pedaling, old Evergreen highway to the north end of the I-205 bikepath.

Voltage on the Ping pack went from 40V to 35V at the end of the 15 mile commute, hauling the bent, my fat ass, lunch, and a change of underclothes. It looks like I might not have needed to bring the charger, as I probably have enough watts left to get back home ... but since it fits in the tub, I'll lug it along and use it anyway.

I'll see what the total AH use was when I ride home today ... more uphill going north on the I-205 bridge back to the Washington side.

I do need better brakes ... this rig is too heavy to stop safely with stock calipers.

Well... that went OK.

It looks like that Ping pack can handle both sides of the 13 mile commute without a recharge ... but I'll be charging it up anyway.

Did pass an electric scooter style moped going the other way ... not a lot of choices on how to get across the Columbia R. on something that doesn't travel at 60 mph.

That is very cool. 26 mile commute without a recharge. Another Washingtonian :mrgreen:

Well ... looks like I get to put the commute project on hold ...

Those radially strung spokes on the 20" did not work out well.

One worked loose ... I thought the chirping was from the rear brake ... the ones next to it worked loose, and after one bump on the I-205 bridge, a bunch of them broke. Flat wobbly tire, and the wheel derailed itself off the brake caliper, and the brakepad picked off a bunch more.

Fun ... I got to walk my bike half way to work, catch a bus, and retrieve my crap ...

Looks like I need proper cross strung spokes and a bigger tire, maybe.

At first I was going to say congrats on the good trip.... but then read of the spokes. Sorry things went sour. Electrically it sounds good!

Oh well ... it's just hardware.

Talked to Justin at ebikes.ca ... he'll be sending me a new spoke set and a better rim. I think a bigger tire is needed as well.

The failure happened right after a steep on ramp, one that required some stiff pedaling on my part. I think the pulses from my pedaling were too much for the radial spokes ... most bikes are cross-spoked for that very reason.

kbarrett said:
Oh well ... it's just hardware ... I think a bigger tire is needed as well.

Well, if a bigger tire is what you want and you are running ISO 406 (the usual BMX-sized 20") rims, you might try some Schwalbe Big Apples, or if you are truly adventuresome, how about one or two of these?

Willie

I'm not sure the radial pattern is the issue. Other discussions have suggested that the crossover is to take advantage of more metal in the hub with the angle of the spoke... so the hub's holes won't break.

In any case, it sux to break-down. Hope ya get yer grin back soon.

wanders said:
kbarrett said:
Oh well ... it's just hardware ... I think a bigger tire is needed as well.

Well, if a bigger tire is what you want and you are running ISO 406 (the usual BMX-sized 20") rims, you might try some Schwalbe Big Apples, or if you are truly adventuresome, how about one or two of these?

Willie

Too big. If it doesn't fit on the original rim, I gotta grind of my brake mounts and cook something new up. I'd rather avoid that.

1.9" .... maybe 2" if I push it.

I'm curious, how is your performance at 36v? And what motor are you running?
I have a brushless, geared hub motor in a 20" wheel (3 cross laced, 13g spokes, dual wal rim, 1.85 bmx Odyssey tyre)
Rear wheel drive on a tadpole trike.
I'm getting around 33 - 38 kph out of it, (no pedaling). Thats about 20 to 23.5 mph.

Sorry to hear about the wheel coming apart like that,that's awful...

I've got my hub motor laced radially in a 20 inch double walled rim with 12 gauge spokes and no problems so far and I'm approaching 1000 miles.I did experience some spokes that loosened up after the first few rides but after tightening them alls been fine.

Eric

I think I might need to be a bit more vigilant about loose spoke issues ... and avoiding the old Evergreen Highway ( no traffic at all! ) and its craters might help.

I get about 24 mph on a fresh charge, dropping after 20+ miles travel to around 18 mph as it gets down below 35V.

Maybe you have too much weight on the back wheel.

I was surprised to see the "Max load rating" on my Schawlbe tire were only about 100 KG's. I'm not sure what the load rating for 20" rims are.

I'm sure it wasn't designed for the load ... bigger tires and better spoke arrangement, and we'll try again.

If that fails, I'll go to a BMX tire and reposition my brakes as needed.

Ordered custom cross once pattern spokes and a new 20" wheel ... got the wheel and ... wait for it ... custom radial pattern spokes ... excuse me?

Arg .... they were also all about 2mm short even for radial pattern ... which means I will have to be tightening them constantly. Proper length would require tightening a millimeter or so into unthreaded spoke material to lock it, and then filing the top off to prevent poke through on the inner tube. The mechanic at bike shop bitched up a storm over them.

I was able to fit a 2" BMX tire on the beast, so I can at least start commuting again. Needed to ditch the rear fender to make it fit ... substituted tape on the carrier rack ... so I guess the bike would feel more at home around here now.

Check out the custom 10mm wrench torque arm .....

Is that a new and improved "wrench torque arm" I see in the picture?
Hope the new tire gives you a smoother ride.

TylerDurden said:
...Duct-tape
and zipties
and bungies
and strings...

All together now (after saying the magic words, "Julie Andrews"):

These are a few of my favorite things...

I'm really sorry, but I just couldn't help myself.

Willie

Let's hope this one fairs better than the last.Just gotta pay attention to the spokes during the first few rides,but you already know that! Beware of a strange pinging type of sound,that's what clued me into checking and finding some loose spokes on my bike after the first few rides.

Eric

Got two more commutes out, and tightened some spokes up.

Now if I can just get someone to fill the holes in on old Evergreen Highway ...

kbarrett said:
Got two more commutes out, and tightened some spokes up.

Now if I can just get someone to fill the holes in on old Evergreen Highway ...
Yeah potholes are a killer. I bet you kind of wish you had some kind of suspension on that thing.

Makes ya wonder what it would take to design a suspension system for an EZ-1

Well ... I got home, and had two spokes completely stripped out.

A pic is available here ....Caution, this one is big.

Called the folks at ebikes.ca, and they had me measure a spoke.

3 mm too short. The person I talked to had cut them himself, and had set the machine himself ... but had trusted the machine to make them the right length.

Heh. His spoke cutting machine tells him lies.

He will cut me a cross-once set for free, and measure them with a ruler this time before shipping them.

And once more into the breach .....

kbarrett said:
Well ... I got home, and had two spokes completely stripped out..

What a bummer, it's always the most difficult wheel to remove that breaks down.

Also, your rear brake pad is not adjusted correctly, as they wear the pad moves even more inward (towards the spokes).

Not to be a nag, just for safety with all the extra weight we carry.

TylerDurden said:
...Duct-tape
and zipties
and bungies
and strings...

:mrgreen:

Are we singing this to "My Favorite Things"? Here's my verse then:

...voltage
and amperes
and A123s...
These are a few of my faaaavorite things...

:mrgreen:

Back