First Electric Board - Need Expert Help

Paragon

10 mW
Hello guys I've been lurking on these forums for a couple weeks and I'm about to begin building my first electric skateboard :)
I already possess basic knowledge regarding brushless out runners, escs, and lipos (I have built quadcopters in the past).
This board will just be used for cruising around (no hills) and I'd like top speed to be around 15mph.
I will be using an old 15in skateboard that I've had for a while and I will be making a custom motor mount from some 1/4 in polycarbonate since it is easier to work with than aluminum.

This board will be using one motor and I'm wondering whether front wheel or rear wheel drive would be better (it seems like everyone uses rear wheel drive or AWD).

Would this 480kv motor be suitable? http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__14740__Turnigy_L3040A_480G_Brushless_Motor.html
with this esc: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__24719__HobbyKing_85A_BlueSeries_Brushless_Speed_Controller.html
I will be running it on either 4s or 6s (it says 6s is the max for that esc)

Also, I will be using a belt rather than chain for quieter operation, and I'm not too familiar with how I should pick pulleys or belts

Thanks for helping a noob like me guys!

A 50mm motor should be fine to get you to 15mph if not more on a 6S depending on your gearing ratio. You can use this to find out your center distance for the motor pulley + drive wheel pulley. Center distance is the distance between your motor pulley and drive wheel pulley. A lower KV motor is best 192kv to 260kv is about normal or you have to adjust your gearing ratio.

So will the motor I listed work? It's less than 50mm but it is 1000watts

It would work but you don't want to use that type of motor. You want a motor with lower KV for a bit more torque. Take a look at the Turnigy SK3 motors there are also some other ones on HK that Psychotiller uses can't remember off the top of my head.

Paragon said:
..This board will be using one motor and I'm wondering whether front wheel or rear wheel drive would be better (it seems like everyone uses rear wheel drive or AWD)..
I have read some fellow members here have front wheel drive and like it better.

I've just changed to FWD on my comersial chinese board (for what it's worth in this case) and I drive it backwards now and totaly love it :) It feels more smooth and stable. And say what you want about chines comersial e-boards but they excel when it comes to braking. I didn't think of this when I applyed full brake at speed first time after I switched direktion, resulting that the board tipped over frontwards :shock: Very exiting in 15 mph :lol: (nervous lafter) but I manage to grab a nearby banister and didn't hurt myself.

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__18175__Turnigy_Aerodrive_SK3_5055_280kv_Brushless_Outrunner_Motor.html
Would this motor work well then ^^^^

Can anyone recommend a cheap esc for this that will work (id probably need 80a I think)?
Btw I've decided on front wheel drive because others have reported wheelies with rear wheel drive on smaller boards
I'm kind Of going for a cheap build since this will be my first eboard

Also will two 3s 35c 1000mAh lipos be suitable (ill wire them up so they make a 6s battery)?

That motor works. You can use an 80esc but for the added price a 150amp Car ESC would do better.

Front wheel seems to ride a lot better. Back wheel isn't bad either though. It doesn't cause wheelies unless you are leaning back more.

You want at least 5000mah for 6 to 8 miles.

Would one of these batteries work?:
http://www.hobbyking.com/mobile/viewproduct.asp?idproduct=15521

The board doesn't need to have much power (just around 10-15mph top speed) since I'll just be using it to cruise around on flat ground

People seem to be saying front wheel drive (FWD) is better. Does anyone prefer RWD? Just wondering for my own first build...

Magnus_Volk said:
People seem to be saying front wheel drive (FWD) is better. Does anyone prefer RWD? Just wondering for my own first build...

On smooth pavement I prefer rear wheel drive. I can say though that front wheel drive kicks ass on the rougher stuff.

Back