First time build: Heavy mountain board, you so heavy.

Hi Endless sphere this is my first post.
I have eyed many a post on this forum for both e-bikes, and more recently e-boards over the last months, with the intention of building my own some day. Now I am well on my way to building my first board.

I never long-boarded in my life, and my DIY knowledege is purely self obtained. Not an electrical engineer student (B.A in psychology and minor in philosophy is pretty far removed from that), but all those informative posts I have read had gotten me to think that I could pull off my very own creation.

My intention is to build a functional commuter board that could serve as prototype that I could learn from. Being my first board, I need a base from which I can learn from mistakes and refine my skills. I have access to very basic tools. cordless drill, angle grinder but no drill press or much of anything else for that matter. I see those elegant CNC'd motor mounts and weep :(
my budget is very limited, so I couldn't justify buying 100$+ motor mounts either. What I do have is a bunch of bicycle parts and other metal scrap.

I got my hands on a second-hand mountain board on the cheap. It seemed very basic, no channeled trucks, just some garden variety ones, with a terrible turning radius.

ordered the rest of the parts from hobbyking:

2 Turnigy Aerodrive SK3 - 6364-213kv Outrunners

2 HobbyKing 150A High performance Brushless Car ESC's

4 ZIPPY Flightmax 5000mAh 3S1P 20C lipos

HobbyKing HK-GT2B 3CH 2.4GHz Transmitter and Receiver

a bunch of 4 mm connectors a charger for the lipos, a battery medic and a cell checker.

the mount was made from two steel 90 degree angle braces, and a was held in place by a set of "spring coil clamps" which are apparently used to lower/ raise car springs. both parts were purchased at my local Canadian Tire. What holds the actual motors in place on the braces is a pair of dead hard drives, or rather their hollow aluminum shells. I wish I had used a lot more aluminum and a lot less steel, but my local hardware store only sells thin strips of aluminum.

The drive assembly is made of a bicycle chain, which was broken down into 2 smaller chains using a 4$ chain tool from Amazon.ca. the actual sprockets for the wheel are the rear wheel sprocket from 2 bicycle wheels, which I removed from their respective hubs. I went with the biggest sprockets that would fit on my wheels, since the weight of the whole thing is so substantial I figured I could use all the torque I could get.

I made a temporary housing for the electrical stuff from an old box for a dremmel-like tool. it was somewhat of a tight fit for all 4 of the lipos. they are arranged in series of 2, so 6s for each motor. I made a square cutout in the box, and fitted a piece of perforated metal on top of it, from a side panel of an old computer case, to let the electronics breath. I think its a tight fit and I will need to find a better housing at some point.

After testing out my board with some success (33 km/h was about as fast as I dared to go), I realized that I didn't like the tension on chain/motor assembly. either it was too tight and I feared wearing it down, or it was too loose and the chain risked coming off the sprocket when I was braking using the motors. So I decided to make a little lever with a small cog (from the rear shifter assembly of the same bicycle that I took the wheel off) to hold the chain down under constant pressure, sort of like how the mountain bikes do it with their chains. the cog is held down constantly by a spring, from the very same shifter. this allowed me to release the tension of the chains slightly. So far it works great, My chains never came off no matter how hard I brake and doesn't add much weight at all. the only down side I immediate noticed is that it makes the board slightly louder. not by much but its something. the added friction is probably not really significant.

right now its tedious to turn the board on. I need to pop the housing open, fish out two seperate switches in a mess of wires for the ESC's, turn them on, then pop the hood back on.
Can anyone advice how I can splice a switch for the both of them, since the ESC's have 3 wire coming down to the on/off switch, a white red and black. I am assuming I only need to wire the black and red wires, but what does the white do? (its a hobbyKing 150A High performance Brushless Car ESC)

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    214.7 KB · Views: 2,342
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    364 KB · Views: 2,342
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    392.3 KB · Views: 2,342
  • 66299.gif
    66299.gif
    50.3 KB · Views: 2,342
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    191.5 KB · Views: 2,342
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    325.2 KB · Views: 2,342
  • Stainless steel angle brackets (37).JPG
    Stainless steel angle brackets (37).JPG
    17.1 KB · Views: 2,342
The user manual for that ESC leaves a lot to be desired, definitely written by someone that doesn't speak english as a primary language. For your switch issue, it'd be helpful to write out a schematic of what connections are being completed when you operate them... I haven't had a chance to mess around with an ESC yet(brand new to this stuff as well), so not familiar with what is typical. I'm guessing one switch activates your control method, the red is +6V, black is ground, and white is a signal wire(for your TX/RX), and that the other switch is operates the connection between your battery pack and ESC? Is your tx/rx system powered by the main battery, or a separate power source? If it is all powered by the same battery, I don't see why you couldn't just leave the tx/rx permanently connected. If it has its own power source, then 2 switches are necessary, though you may be able to get a DPDT that can switch both connections simultaneously--just need to ensure that both circuits remain isolated from each other.

Really nice! I am attempting a similar build, so thanks for the detailed post.

GatoBueno said:
The user manual for that ESC leaves a lot to be desired, definitely written by someone that doesn't speak english as a primary language. For your switch issue, it'd be helpful to write out a schematic of what connections are being completed when you operate them... I haven't had a chance to mess around with an ESC yet(brand new to this stuff as well), so not familiar with what is typical. I'm guessing one switch activates your control method, the red is +6V, black is ground, and white is a signal wire(for your TX/RX), and that the other switch is operates the connection between your battery pack and ESC? Is your tx/rx system powered by the main battery, or a separate power source? If it is all powered by the same battery, I don't see why you couldn't just leave the tx/rx permanently connected. If it has its own power source, then 2 switches are necessary, though you may be able to get a DPDT that can switch both connections simultaneously--just need to ensure that both circuits remain isolated from each other.

the receiver is powered by one of the ESC's bat eliminator circuit, I didn't have a harness to plug in both of my ESC's to the single receiver channel, so I plucked some connector pins off an old comp. pcb straightened them and shoved in to the back of the red and black wires. no way a soldering iron could fit in there, but it seems sturdy enough to sit the other receiver wire on top of it.

I wanted to be able to connect the ESC's together through one switch, after I found switch with a key, in some drawer. Its wires looked too flimsy to connect directly to batteries.

if the ESC's are identical models is it critical to isolate them? I wanted to splice together the red and black /wires from their dedicated on/off switches to that key switch. I really don't want to burn my ESC's.

As funny/sad as it would have been to have and ignition key that self-destructs the board. :shock:

Attachments

• conrlr.jpg
    conrlr.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 2,252
  • key.jpg
    key.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 2,252
It would appear that my board has a gremlin; sometimes when I turn both of my ESC's on, and test my remote's throttle gently, the remote loses its throttle ability, instead it becomes basically on/off when I push the throttle, no acceleration curve, just jerky full throttle right away... but then when I turn off my ESC's and then on, it starts behaving again and I can ride slowly. anybody have a similar problem? (HobbyKing 150A High performance Brushless Car ESC)

Attachments

• 20150320_113322.jpg
    20150320_113322.jpg
    243.3 KB · Views: 2,180
Might just be the ESC start up routine. Some escs require you to give a quick full throttle right after turning them on. So if you just give gentle throttle, not to the max of your remote, it might consider that to be max. So when you use throttle then, the curve will only be between the start point and end point of your gentle throttle and everything beyond that will just be max.

For the manual: Check the different warehouse listings of the ESC, sometimes you can find a better manual in other listings.

furp said:
Might just be the ESC start up routine. Some escs require you to give a quick full throttle right after turning them on. So if you just give gentle throttle, not to the max of your remote, it might consider that to be max. So when you use throttle then, the curve will only be between the start point and end point of your gentle throttle and everything beyond that will just be max.

yea I suspect that that the ESC's are doing something like that. I noticed that when I power them up and hit the throttle continuously, without the wheels touching the ground, after a couple of seconds it starts losing the throttle ability, but if I throttle in small burst(s), or put the board on the ground and hop on, it behaves.

torqueboards suggested some ferrite rings on the signal wires. I found one and looped the wires around it. so far nothing changed so it must be the ESCs being difficult. left it in for good measure though, no harm in it.

yea the packs are full. its like the ESC needs to feel resistance or something. after the board has been in motion for like a meter all is well. It still cogs if I don't give it a small push from stop, but the throttle retains its curve.

I'm looking into making some better enclosure for my electronics. so far I found that a stack of old VHS boxes seem to house a pair of 3s lipos very snugly, with room for a volt meter and maybe some adapters...

Attachments

• 20150323_201539.jpg
    20150323_201539.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 730
Take a look at the aluminium electronics enclosures available on google shopping and from rs components,

I got a nice anodised box for mine.

Also, for better weight distribution (and aesthetics) you could move the box to the middle of the board.

Back