Greenbike Fat tire 500watt Hub drive Underpowered

IMG_2876.jpeg

Hello Community,

This is my first post, but dont worry ive tried to make sure best i can im not asking questions that havent been answered several times and i feel im at the point that a few people have dead ended at so maybe its time to either give up, or get some answers. I am a former bmw master technician that has been given a Green bike fat tire with a gear bafang rear hub motor. After referencing this forum and several other sources i realized this bike is truly very underpowered. here is a picture of the contoller it came with IMG_2874.jpeg

i believe it was fitted with this controller due to the tight confines of the controllers housing on the bike.
i ordered a new controller and while the wiring connectors were not compatible for plug and play i was able to get the bike functional and find a good way to mount the controller. I opted for a 1500 watt controller that made the accelleration approximately 3 times faster on level ground.IMG_2875.jpeg

im having zero issues with heat. the contoller doesnt get hot at all which i anticipated but the motor only ever feels slightly warm to the touch and that is only after doing up hill digs with my kid in a child carrier i attached to the back.
i am having an issue with wiring for the display(C500b) however.
i ran B+ B- and the wake up wire however i cannot figure out where to hook up tx and rx. my controller has plugs for alarm power, alarm, 3 speed(which i guess goes to the PAS sensor, throttle(connected directly to throttle), instrument, which seems to be an analog speedo wire as voltage increases with wheel rotation. it must pull thos from the hall sensors of the motor?), a single wire connector for LCD, brake high and brake low, reverse, and a study connector that you connect on start up to reverse the direction on the motor.
something to note is that the bafang motor has an extra white wire coming out of it that is on the plug that goes to the controller which i am unsure of its purpose. key on it had 5 volts. i think this was for the training speed but im not sure.

my pas doesnt work and i cant get data to the display bc i can figure out where to hook up tx and rx so i have error 09 and no amperage reading. i feel like if i could find a tx and rx on the controller board it may solve my problems but i cant get the board out of the aluminum case. i can see the uart pad but idk if thats something i want to try and solder without pulling out the board,

if i cant get this display to work easily, what display would you reccommend that i could use to communicate to use PAS, get speed from that instrument line and monitor the amperage being drawn?

After referencing this forum and several other sources i realized this bike is truly very underpowered.

What are your specific riding needs vs riding conditions? You'll need to define those to figure out how much power you actually need to do the job you need it to do for you, so you can determine which parts to replace, and with what.

If it's really "very underpowered" you'll probably have to replace the battery, controller system, and motor with ones that can supply and handle the power needed to do what you want, with the specific features and functions you want out of the system as a whole.

For instance, if the battery that came with the system is only meant for the current the original controller took, it may not handle the current your new controller asks of it very well, and it may prematurely age or stress the cells, etc.

i am having an issue with wiring for the display(C500b) however.
i ran B+ B- and the wake up wire however i cannot figure out where to hook up tx and rx.
If your controller didn't come with a display, and wasn't sold on the site you bought it from with the option for one, then it probably doesn't support one. Most of them don't.

Even if it does support one, it's only going to support a specific display with specific firmware, and that info is almost never available.

If you want a display that does specific things or shows those, you'll almost certainly have to pick a controller/display kit that has all that in the pair you buy at the same time.

my controller has plugs for alarm power, alarm, 3 speed(which i guess goes to the PAS sensor,

3speed is almost certainly for a 3speed switch. There's a number of threads about controllers with those that show various wiring configurations and possible modes of operation; most of them don't actually control a speed limit, but rather a throttle ratio. Some control a current ratio, or some other limiting function. Most use a ground pin and two inputs. No pin grounded is default of medium, only one pin grounded is low, and only the other pin grounded is high. both pins grounded is unknown, probalby doesn't respond to it.

throttle(connected directly to throttle), instrument, which seems to be an analog speedo wire as voltage increases with wheel rotation. it must pull thos from the hall sensors of the motor?),

It's progbably connected to a phase wire, so it could have full battery voltage on it, and is only compatible with specific "motorcycle" or "scooter" displays that can handle that.

a single wire connector for LCD,
That *might* be like the one-wire protocols some controllers use, but there are multiple versions and types, so whether it will work with any particular one-wire display (like APT, etc) you'd have to test with each one. There's at least one thread about these protocols around here somewhere, probalby in the Motor Technology section.

It's usually just a display protocol though, nothing back to the controller from the display like buttons to change settings, etc.

But it may also just be another speedo wire, from the hall sensor instead of the phase wire. You can test that by seeing if it has pulses equivalent to wheel rotations.

something to note is that the bafang motor has an extra white wire coming out of it that is on the plug that goes to the controller which i am unsure of its purpose. key on it had 5 volts. i think this was for the training speed but im not sure.
That's normally a speedo sensor, a separate hall reading a magnet (or set of them) on the inside of the cover. May be 1 or 6 poles, rarely anything else.

my pas doesnt work
Probably doesn't have PAS; from the speedo wires available it sounds like a scooter controller, which wouldnt' have pedals, so no PAS function.

If you want PAS in the controller itself it's simplest to buy a controller that direclty supports the specific kind of PAS sensor you have, or comes with it's own that does what you want. BUT virtually all of them are only on/off control--you pedal *at all* and the controller goes full throttle for whatever assist level you have chosen, however that specific controller's assist levels work.

Alternately, if you want actual control over the system via the pedals, you can look up the various DIY PAS-to-Throttle threads, most using some form of MCU like arduino, ATTiny, etc.

Or you can use the Cycle Analyst v3 from ebikes.ca, which can take most of the PAS cadence and/or torque sensors and create a throttle for you, as well as monitor power usage, etc. It's a complex device, and is not plug and play, so you have to learn what it can do for you first, then decide which things you want it to do, then wire it that way, then go thru every menu and setup every parameter and function to do what you want it to do. (if you don't, it may not operate as expected or at all).

Or you can look at the various OSF open source firmware threads for some of the controllers out there, and get one of the specific models of controller the OSF supports, and do the programming and setup required. Lishui (the brand your bike started with) is one of the brands there is OSF available for (because they're apparently pretty well designed, especially compared to the generic stuff like the new one you have probably is)

VESC controllers with the right firmware may also support some PAS control types; you'd want to look up the details on that on the vescproject site, then find controller manufacturers using that specific version of VESC software/hardware *that support that function* the way you want it to work. (or that allow flashing the firmware to the version you want to use).

The *runner controllers from ebikes.ca have the ability to use PAS direclty, without the CA, but
they dont' have tech support for helping you do this yet as it's not straightforward and they're still working out "easy" ways to set it up for endusers.

The ASI controllers the PR/BR/etc are based on also support it, but unless you buy directly from ASI (if they'll let you) you won't get any support from ASI, only from your dealer, so pick a dealer that's trustworthy and will actually help you *and* can provide you with a software setup passcode that will always work (ASI won't if you don't buy from them)...most of the dealers don't seem to provide any form of support or help or setup codes, etc, and you MUST setup the controller for your specific system/etc or it won't even work.

What are your specific riding needs vs riding conditions? You'll need to define those to figure out how much power you actually need to do the job you need it to do for you, so you can determine which parts to replace, and with what.

If it's really "very underpowered" you'll probably have to replace the battery, controller system, and motor with ones that can supply and handle the power needed to do what you want, with the specific features and functions you want out of the system as a whole.

For instance, if the battery that came with the system is only meant for the current the original controller took, it may not handle the current your new controller asks of it very well, and it may prematurely age or stress the cells, etc.

If your controller didn't come with a display, and wasn't sold on the site you bought it from with the option for one, then it probably doesn't support one. Most of them don't.

Even if it does support one, it's only going to support a specific display with specific firmware, and that info is almost never available.

If you want a display that does specific things or shows those, you'll almost certainly have to pick a controller/display kit that has all that in the pair you buy at the same time.

3speed is almost certainly for a 3speed switch. There's a number of threads about controllers with those that show various wiring configurations and possible modes of operation; most of them don't actually control a speed limit, but rather a throttle ratio. Some control a current ratio, or some other limiting function. Most use a ground pin and two inputs. No pin grounded is default of medium, only one pin grounded is low, and only the other pin grounded is high. both pins grounded is unknown, probalby doesn't respond to it.

It's progbably connected to a phase wire, so it could have full battery voltage on it, and is only compatible with specific "motorcycle" or "scooter" displays that can handle that.

That *might* be like the one-wire protocols some controllers use, but there are multiple versions and types, so whether it will work with any particular one-wire display (like APT, etc) you'd have to test with each one. There's at least one thread about these protocols around here somewhere, probalby in the Motor Technology section.

It's usually just a display protocol though, nothing back to the controller from the display like buttons to change settings, etc.

But it may also just be another speedo wire, from the hall sensor instead of the phase wire. You can test that by seeing if it has pulses equivalent to wheel rotations.

That's normally a speedo sensor, a separate hall reading a magnet (or set of them) on the inside of the cover. May be 1 or 6 poles, rarely anything else.

Probably doesn't have PAS; from the speedo wires available it sounds like a scooter controller, which wouldnt' have pedals, so no PAS function.

If you want PAS in the controller itself it's simplest to buy a controller that direclty supports the specific kind of PAS sensor you have, or comes with it's own that does what you want. BUT virtually all of them are only on/off control--you pedal *at all* and the controller goes full throttle for whatever assist level you have chosen, however that specific controller's assist levels work.

Alternately, if you want actual control over the system via the pedals, you can look up the various DIY PAS-to-Throttle threads, most using some form of MCU like arduino, ATTiny, etc.

Or you can use the Cycle Analyst v3 from ebikes.ca, which can take most of the PAS cadence and/or torque sensors and create a throttle for you, as well as monitor power usage, etc. It's a complex device, and is not plug and play, so you have to learn what it can do for you first, then decide which things you want it to do, then wire it that way, then go thru every menu and setup every parameter and function to do what you want it to do. (if you don't, it may not operate as expected or at all).

Or you can look at the various OSF open source firmware threads for some of the controllers out there, and get one of the specific models of controller the OSF supports, and do the programming and setup required.

VESC controllers with the right firmware may also support some PAS control types; you'd want to look up the details on that on the vescproject site, then find controller manufacturers using that specific version of VESC software/hardware *that support that function* the way you want it to work. (or that allow flashing the firmware to the version you want to use).

The *runner controllers from ebikes.ca have the ability to use PAS direclty, without the CA, but
they dont' have tech support for helping you do this yet as it's not straightforward and they're still working out "easy" ways to set it up for endusers.

The ASI controllers the PR/BR/etc are based on also support it, but unless you buy directly from ASI (if they'll let you) you won't get any support from ASI, only from your dealer, so pick a dealer that's trustworthy and will actually help you *and* can provide you with a software setup passcode that will always work (ASI won't if you don't buy from them)...most of the dealers don't seem to provide any form of support or help or setup codes, etc, and you MUST setup the controller for your specific system/etc or it won't even work.
wow thank you so much for writing such a comprehensive response. i really do appreciate it. and i think what im going to do is forget about the pas, and just enjoy this setup the way it is. when i said underpowered i meant just by the controller. it came with a huge 48v battery and i know that motor can handle much more than 10 amps at 32v

its so much fun to ride the way i have it now and i found this site:

generic motor controller info

literally right after i made this thread and it had my exact controller. its the 1500watt without PAS
the three speed is for an actual 3 speed switch and that works perfect bc my girl likes it a little slower and the high speed is super fast.

im debating whether or not to take it to 72 volts but the devil on the left shoulder is like “of course” the angel on the right is like “you know it wont end well” so ill prob just leave it.

either way thanks so much

Back