Flipsky 80100... Reviews, advice?

Barncat

1 kW
A fair amount of searching didn't turn up much info or actual reviews. One thread here about rewinding... Considering buying one for latest ebike project as they seem to be the only outrunner commonly available at present?

Still a layman in this arena, and started out with the basic MY/Kunray 1020 3000W motor and matching 55A controller running at 72V on first build. No complaints. It'll hit 45mph with a tailwind. The flipsky is half the weight and a lot more potential torque and rpm.

I assume it's full power in either rotational direction? The long threaded shaft end would have to be cut off, for CW rotation right side direct chain drive to a 20" rear tire on the new bike project.

These motors make power through current more than V apparently and work best with lipo?

They're available with hall sensors and 130kv rated up to 148A or so... what's the best controller match? Several of theirs are for dual motor skateboards and such which is not applicable.

Any advice from users appreciated.

I have been making an ebike with 8072 and 8080 motors from alien and McMaster.

My finding was that over 100kV is a real pain. The motors aren't really up to the 5-7kW they're advertised at, though they're pretty good considering.

Hypothetically regardless of the kV you can get the same power and torque, just need to give more amps fewer volts/vice versa. High kV means fewer turns but the turns can be thicker.

I got 50kV alien and 70kVmcmaster. The alien is easier to work with. The McMaster one looks identical to the flipsky, they have a funny second bearing arrangement... I reckon they make flipsky motors.

I've run them successfully with VESC, my own firmware and STMCWB firmware. They're fairly forgiving, sensible inductance and resistance values.

My expectation is that 45mph is pushing it, though my friend got to 58kmph with a 6384 flipsky motor. It got bloody hot doing that.

There's no direction dependence for these motors.

I'm intrigued. If you try it, let's know your results. I devote most of my efforts to electronics, if i just paid a few hundred for a decent controller I'd make much faster progress.

For comparisons sake it would be good to know the kv on that MY1020 motor I used on the first project. Couldn't find in a quick search... that inrunner only produces 5.4nm torque and the outrunner theoretically makes closer to 17. The MY is more than adequate through the 6.15 : 1 chain reduction to the 20" OD rear tire. So the Flipsky could be a real upgrade, plus it's about 45% the weight.

Smaller Flipsky motors are big on eskateboards of course so the durability must be pretty good. Thanks for confirming they can run both directions equally well.

Seems most bike guys here use hubmotors- convenient but way heavy. And no freewheeling. I get incredible roll with the chain drive.

Their FSESC 6.6 single controller might work pretty well. It's a tiny 3" square unit which would be great. 60v limit so the power obviously comes from amps.

Did you mean Mcmaster-Carr? Can't seem to find a similar motor there...

https://m.alibaba.com/product/1600093750293/BLDC-Motor-80100-Sensor-Sensorless-for.html?__detailProductImg=https%3A%2F%2Fs.alicdn.com%2F%40sc01%2Fkf%2FH1c8a4311a3b24797943b0887ce721808l.jpg_200x200.jpg

I got stung for a lot of tax and shipping on top of this price

Your motor kV/great ratio needs to be about 7 or 8, otherwise you're not going to get much torque or speed for commonly available controllers.

Additionally, to deal with the limitation on the amount of torque these motors can give based on the magnet strength, you need a gear ratio around 8:1.

Well, 12/80 is 6.66 :1 (mark of the beast ratio :)) or 11/80 is 7.27 which is as low as you can go. Prefer the 12 for more chain engagement.

Also I see 16ah, 20ah lipo packs are practically unobtanium these days. What happened? Is the demand just too high? Too much liabilty?

130kV/7.27=17 I'm afraid. That ratio is going to be quite underwhelming I suspect.

I think there's a worldwide battery shortage at the moment.

I just got a deal on a barely used Tiger motor U15 80kv. A real beast. It's sensorless so I have some more learning to do but there must be a way to make it work. No experience with RC stuff. It's not like you can spin a drone prop by hand to get it started...It'll certainly look cool on a bike. Open frame- will have to keep ferrous debris away.

Flipsky just came out with their FSESC 7550. Could be a good match. Don't know yet what type of throttle to use yet.

Edit- Just found the Lebowski "sensorless at a standstill" thread so reading up on that.

Back