Flux hollow core longboard (update!)

chaka

1 kW
Edit: This board is now for sale! Check my listing for specs and pricing https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=73282
Two months ago I set out to create a deck for the EV community. Having a cavity depth of 21mm it is built to house 2s 4200 mAh LiFePo4 wired in either 6S2P or 12S1P configuration, 8S configurations are also possible. The ESC cavity fits most popular options, currently I am using an EZRun 150amp but I plan on trying Vedders VESC next. A receiver bay is located under the front truck mount for easy access. Flux also features a recessed motor well for clearance without the use of risers. The whole inner framework is skinned with maple veneer and fiberglass making a very lightweight and durable deck.

Current build:
6S2P LiFePo4 8400mAh
EZRun 150 ESC
SK3 6374 192kv motor
Alien drive systems mount
20:32 tooth timing pulleys
80mm kegel wheels
50 Calibers

Range: 8 to 11 miles with 185+lb rider and heavy throttle usage.
OllinElectricDeck.jpeg
OllinElectricFitted.jpeg

Would be interesting to see a board in progress or see a diagram of what is hollow and what is solid in there.

Very very NICE! :shock: When will they be available? Nice to see someone else working toward low deck height solutions. Will there be other shapes?

This deck still has some height, very similar to using 1/4inch risers on a conventional board. Once tooling is finished for this deck I will begin the prototype phase for a downhill style board with routed truck mounts for low COG and 44 degree caliber trucks for stability. I will definitely start a build thread once that starts to become a reality.

A little update into our progress! Tooling is complete and we are now taking orders for beta testers at a greatly reduced price. Beta testers will enjoy a choice of two different board thickness’s. The thin version houses eight 2S pouch packs with a dimension of 145mm x 19mm x 52mm (actual cavity depth is 21mm). The thicker board will house up to eight 3S pouch packs or 48 A123 lifpo4 cells (actual cavity depth is 28mm).

Since we build our boards "in house" we can offer some customization of the internal cavities to accommodate various speed controllers, power management systems, stash boxes :D and custom color options. We will be working closely with our testers and if anyone would like a semi-complete board with battery packs and esc pre-installed we will be happy to provide that service. Anyone interested in this early release please feel free to contact me for pricing and other design options/considerations. Big thanks to everyone here, we look forward to working with you on your future builds!

Nice!!

Having an extra little compartment for spare parts, tools or whatever is a great idea.

How are the components like batteries affixed to the board?

Would be great to see a prototype build up or in action.

CSN said:
Nice!!

Having an extra little compartment for spare parts, tools or whatever is a great idea.

How are the components like batteries affixed to the board?

Would be great to see a prototype build up or in action.

In the prototype the batteries are held in the compartments with foam wedging, simple and it worked well. Now, with the addition of hatch covers for the battery bays, there are no worries of the batteries ejecting from the board. I am about to switch from my prototype into a finalized deck. I will be sure to cover all the details of the board when I do, including how I made the EZrun 150a esc into a thinner form factor.

torqueboards said:
Sweeeeeeeettt.....

Nice to have you here :)

I'm definitely going to be interested in one if you can create a custom one.

I just need to get my custom battery packs.

Would it sustain throwing my deck :)

The skin is double laminated with fiberglass (inner and outer surface) so it can take a ton of abuse, including throwing it. If you wanted I could make it bullet proof with a layer of kevlar :lol: I ride my boards like a savage weighing in at 185+lbs and the prototypes show zero signs of submission.

torqueboards said:
What about a top hatch deck :)
This model would be limited to a smaller sized top hatch than what you are probably used to seeing. Probably large enough to fit four 3S lipo packs or just to stash tools and parts. I designed this board to run LiFePo4 and remain non swappable, you could swap batteries but the packs are pretty long in this configuration. I have to admit, I don't like the idea of seeing seams in my griptape but it would be a great option for long treks. Having said that, if you figure the dimensions you need for a top hatch compartment and I will see what I can do. Though we might need a completely new design to reach your needs.

Something about 25-28mm height would be fine. Would be cool if it took up the entire deck. That way could put a custom 18650 pack for 20-30 mile charge.

I guess, you wouldn't need to change it as much but if so would be more useful.

Well now, that's something... :shock: :D

Sweet!!

That is Truth or Consequences?

Time to throw down for a selfie stick or GoPro :)

A little update on our progress. I've decided to discontinue any designs using prismatic pouch cells and focus on using 18650's strictly on all our designs and will only be offering semi complete decks with batteries and bms pre-installed. This is in order to eliminate any more unneeded return shipping due to the difficulty installing battery systems.
We chose the 18650 form factor because it proves to be the most versatile and allows more freedom to choose different configurations. The Flux design can be fitted in either 12p7s or 15p6s for more capacity, higher voltage systems will require expensive high discharge cells and have a max voltage configuration of 7p12s all within a deck just under 25mm thick. Currently the deck can house a speed controller up to 55mm wide, anything wider will require external mounting.

The battery pack choice would be sealed in?

To replace the cells the board would have to be returned?

What is the charge time on your BMS?

Is a top mounted fuel gauge an option?

CSN said:
The battery pack choice would be sealed in?

To replace the cells the board would have to be returned?

What is the charge time on your BMS?

Is a top mounted fuel gauge an option?

The batteries will be removable for replacement purposes. The BMS I am using can handle up to 30 amps charge current and if you want gauges you can have them, send me a PM if you would like more details.

A rare peek into the inner framework of my boards, not much room left after stuffing 80 cells into the hollow core. Working on finishing up the packs on this one. I switched to an aluminum top hatch type enclosure so the bottom face no longer has any openings, completely stealth. The outer shape will be cut to profile once the topside is glassed.
flux80.jpg

I have to say I'm enjoying the 18650 configuration as well...and boards aren't even really my thing!

Wow!.... what voltage do you plan on running? 80 cells is crazy! Maybe overkill.... 3-4hr ride times?

Is there a reason you made the slots curve? If they are straight it might be easier to build the battery?

Lipo = dead!

18650 = future.

onloop said:
Wow!.... what voltage do you plan on running? 80 cells is crazy! Maybe overkill.... 3-4hr ride times?

Is there a reason you made the slots curve? If they are straight it might be easier to build the battery?

Lipo = dead!

18650 = future.

This board is sporting an 8s system. I am running a board with close the same specs as this and I am lucky to get 1 hour of ride time. However, I average 20-25mph 30-40kph when I ride.

Due to the fact that we have to maximize the space within the cavities they have to follow the profile of the board. Ease of construction is definitely not a top priority, if that were the case we would slap a box on the board and call it good.

To be perfectly honest it wouldn't matter if the cavities were straight, the batteries would still take the same amount of time to build. Every cell is connected via fuse wires to busbars. I like redundancy so they are fused on both the positive and negative. The whole pack is then routed through a 100amp fuse and a BMS, more redundancy.

It has been a challenge to fit everything within the board, we had to build our own in-rush controller on protoboard since we could not find one that fit from any manufacturers which is leading us into electronics manufacturing and design.

love the nice design of your first board! 80cells sounds ridiculous though on that new deck! on my evolve i used 60 cells, giving me 50km+ AT, 70-80km street setup with usually 30kph+ average. if you really go with 40kph average then its possible to suck a bettery like that enpty in 1hour i guess (and i thought i was a pretty bold rider already, but no chance to go 40kph avg for me :p ).

how much Wh does that setup have? and which cells did you use?

Back