Folding electric fat-bike

Same here with my Viper, 10/15 seconds, another few seconds to tie the hinged sections together with one cord, just easier to carry tied. I haven't had mine off snow yet, I'm running 7.5 psi rear, 10 front, with great traction all around on hilly terrain.

1JohnFoster said:
I like the idea of the Swift Folder.

I don't. It does pack very compactly, and looks light, but it takes 3 minutes to put together! Who wants to spend 3 minutes in the rain on a sidewalk fiddling with tools and little bitty parts scattering around? To me the Swift looks like part of the "sporting goods" collection of dusty objects at the back of a suburban garage.

Brompton folds and unfolds in 10 seconds, no tools, no loose parts and it's a real bike people tour and commute daily for decades.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pd9opEICGgQ

If anyone can make a solid bike that's lighter, more compact than Brompton but folds just as fast I'd be very interested. It kills my elbow to lug it around and it's still pretty bulky on a bus.

jpgey, how long does the Trail Viper take to fold?

I was surprised by that video because he was using a wrench where I have QR's on my Xootr version of the Swift Folder. Breaks down in much less time than 3 minutes. Sure, it's not as quick to fold completely ('don't always need complete fold) but the strength and ride quality is worth it, IMO.

Most of the time when taking train/bus the fact that it does fold is all that's important. Or, when I rent or borrow a car, I can break down in seconds to fit in small trunks. The fact that if I wanna stuff it into a large suitcase can be accomplished with minimal tools as well.

I rode Dahon Jetstream for a while too and it's a "good" folder but if I could only have one eBike, my Swift eFolder (Q100C/60V) would be the one. The only thing that might make it better would be 3-4" wide tires.

Nice build!

jpegy, you know what fenders he has on there?

Also, do you know where he got it? it looks like it has different components from the one on bike craze: http://www.bikecraze.com/SSR-Motorsports-Trail-Viper-Folding-Elec-p/trail.viper.htm?CartID=1#

PS: I got pointed to fatbike folders / your post in my thread about looking for FS folders: https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=74641&p=1127659#p1127659

I got my box for carrying the Trail Viper on my crane finished yesterday, it came out great. Now I'll have the Viper along on any crane job, unseen/stealthy, and about 20 seconds to get it out and ride off. An onboard inverter will handle the charger. I'll post a few pictures next time I'm on a job with it. I was showing the setup to a buddy who is a long time biker but had never seen or heard of E-bikes, after a short ride (assist level 9, ha, ha) he is a convert!

Now that I have this project with the (bought ready to ride Viper) wrapped up, I'm starting on my (first ever) conversion. My Montague folder I carry in the plane will be the victim.

Looks like an great little bike!

Craneplaneguy, can you show your plane setup with bike in it as well as the crane box with TV in it?

I'll start another thread on the Montague/plane combo, and oh yeah, there will be plenty of pictures. Flying is my main thing and has been for decades, so sooner or later no matter what the subject, it comes back to flying for me anyway. One example: I have a side biz doing solar work, many of my off grid remote area jobs are flown to quicker and cheaper (and lots funner), nothing like traveling in a straight line, the biggest advantage of flying. I cruise around 75 to 85 mph, but that's like having a 125 mph car as far as getting somewhere quick.

1JohnFoster said:
I like the idea of the Swift Folder.

I don't. It does pack very compactly, and looks light, but it takes 3 minutes to put together! Who wants to spend 3 minutes in the rain on a sidewalk fiddling with tools and little bitty parts scattering around? To me the Swift looks like part of the "sporting goods" collection of dusty objects at the back of a suburban garage.

Brompton folds and unfolds in 10 seconds, no tools, no loose parts and it's a real bike people tour and commute daily for decades.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pd9opEICGgQ

If anyone can make a solid bike that's lighter, more compact than Brompton but folds just as fast I'd be very interested. It kills my elbow to lug it around and it's still pretty bulky on a bus.

jpgey, how long does the Trail Viper take to fold?

Helix?

http://www.ridehelix.ca/

Looks very suitable for a belt drive which might save some weight.

The Stig said:
jpegy, you know what fenders he has on there?

Also, do you know where he got it? it looks like it has different components from the one on bike craze: http://www.bikecraze.com/SSR-Motorsports-Trail-Viper-Folding-Elec-p/trail.viper.htm?CartID=1#

PS: I got pointed to fatbike folders / your post in my thread about looking for FS folders: https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=74641&p=1127659#p1127659

Ditto regrading the fenders.

andrebandre said:

Oh! thankyou Andre, So beautiful and light! The frame between the wheels is nice. I like that you can roll it on the tires when folded.

But so very wrong to call it the best folding bike when it's still missing the most important piece;
Brommie bag.jpg

Without a bag it's just a toy to store in car trunks, IMNSHO.

Yeah those fenders are pretty cool, my Trail Viper didn't come with any. My first thought was "too much weight", but then I remembered the TV is for the crane not the plane, so weight is a zero issue. They don't get in the way when folding either, I want some. In the short time I've had the TV, I didn't realize that it could be rolled while folded while on both wheels! I'd figured it out eventually I guess....

The big difference between the TV and the re branded/similar one in the this thread is the 48 volt 500 watt, the TV has a 36 volt 350 watt'r, a pretty big difference, then again the TV was less expensive by a fair bit, you get what you pay for, again.

I am interested in the Fat Folding bike. I have reached out a supplier (Changzhou Bisek Trade Co). I may bring one in to investigate, and then maybe a few more if other are interested in going in together. I'd like to see if it is possible to use the Cyclone mid-drive Green Machine is bringing in, instead of the rear hub, but I am not sure it will fit with the way the frame is built. Does anyone have any more first hand experience with the bike?

Mammalian04 said:
I am interested in the Fat Folding bike. I have reached out a supplier (Changzhou Bisek Trade Co). I may bring one in to investigate, and then maybe a few more if other are interested in going in together. I'd like to see if it is possible to use the Cyclone mid-drive Green Machine is bringing in, instead of the rear hub, but I am not sure it will fit with the way the frame is built. Does anyone have any more first hand experience with the bike?

Well, I have a Trail Viper, but just for a couples weeks now with limited riding on it so far. I have been busy on another conversion, putting a BBSO2 in a Montague folder, and when I again get the TV in the shop it did occur to me to eyeball it for a mid drive conversion. I am still unclear as to the lineage of the two machines, they are obviously related.

craneplaneguy said:
Well, I have a Trail Viper, but just for a couples weeks now with limited riding on it so far. I have been busy on another conversion, putting a BBSO2 in a Montague folder, and when I again get the TV in the shop it did occur to me to eyeball it for a mid drive conversion. I am still unclear as to the lineage of the two machines, they are obviously related.

Yes, I think the Trail Viper and Bad Bikes Folding Fat Bike are both rebranded from the same manufacturer. Changzhou Bisek Trade Co. seems to be the largest seller of these bikes (though there are a couple others selling it as well). For $100 setup fee and a small incremental cost, they will brand the bikes for you, starting with a minimum order quantity of 76 bikes (20' containers worth). Sample costs in quantities lower than that start at 150% of unit cost, but sample premiums are credited towards subsequent container purchases. I don't know what the cost is yet (and it doesn't really matter until I find out what the component specs are). I'll let you guys know if it goes anywhere. Might have to get a few pointers from an import pro like Green Machine or let him import if he is interested. If I bring it in myself for folks, I'd need to get some on the technical side. I will get some more info and then gauge interest before worrying about all that.

Chalo, you seem to be involved in both this and the Full Suspension fatbike thread. What do you think? Maybe I can just being one in and you can tell us what you think. I appreciate the opinion of someone critical of the design. Should help identify issues to be resolved in a production run (or to avoid the run altogether)!

Maybe we should bring them in as Endless-Sphere Bikes (of course with Justin's pre approval) or some other name unique to us.

Mammalian04 said:
craneplaneguy said:
Well, I have a Trail Viper, but just for a couples weeks now with limited riding on it so far. ... I am still unclear as to the lineage of the two machines, they are obviously related.

Yes, I think the Trail Viper and Bad Bikes Folding Fat Bike are both rebranded from the same manufacturer. Changzhou Bisek Trade Co. seems to be the largest seller....
Maybe we should bring them in as Endless-Sphere Bikes (of course with Justin's pre approval) or some other name unique to us.
I was reading about how to analyse sellers on alibaba and one thing the article was saying, is to consider if the seller is a manufacturer or trading company(~wholesaler?). C. Bisek is a listed as "trading company" FWIW. So I'd be curious who the other sellers are. maybe we can find the actual manufacturer and cut out the middle men.

Love the idea of E-S branding. I think its kindofa cool bike - its got Swag.

That's a good point Stig.

In my communication about spare parts, they noted that they are a manufacturer and can produce any spares needed. Interesting that they are listed as trade. I have had a few long discussions with folks today regarding bringing this bike in. To bring it in in quantity, we would need to make it a bit more commercially attractive to get my parties interested. This would be necessary to pay for storage, mech and engineering support, marketing, etc. Nothing is ever as simple as it initially seems.

While bringing the bike in in quantity helps reduce the cost, it would be nice to provide something that adds value, instead of only reducing cost. I am working with a few friends to discuss how this could be done among us and a few cooperative relationships with some vendors on this forum.

One idea that may be wishful: a front suspension fork for this little fattie. I think it might be worth exploring at least.
Well keep me posted if you think your moving forward with this. I may be test riding one of these in about a week so I gotta keep in mind some things to be looking out for.

Back