Free water heater for solar project

yopappamon

10 kW
Most dangerous city in the USA, Flint, MI
When I moved into the rental house I'm in, the gas company found the water heater pilot light would not turn off the gas when the pilot light went out. So the landlord replaced the water heater and I kept the old one thinking some day I might try to make a solar heater out of it.

So now I want to get rid of it and am offering the water heater free to anyone who might want it. It's not too old and could probably be fixed with a new thermocouple or made into a solar heater.

I'm in orange county California.

gas hot water heaters are the wrong thing to use for a solar project.

if it doesn't leak, there is no reason someone cannot use it as a regular water heater. i doubt if there is anything wrong with the thermocouple, they fail when they cannot keep the pilot light valve open, they do not fail open.

i doubt the veracity of the gas company in their comments too and see no reason someone could not use the water heater just as it is for a regular gas water heater.

solar tanks are super insulated and have separate fittings for the solar panel connections.

solar tanks can not use gas as backup because any standard hot water heater tank has continuous large heat losses through the inner wall of the tank and lose a lot of heat up the flue continuously.

i have a gas boiler, a bosch flow through wall mounted boiler, which i use to make hot water by circulating water from the storage tank through the boiler and then stored in the tank. i use a small 60 watt inline circulating pumpt that turns on when the tank temp drops below the setpoint and turns off when the tank is hot enuff. it is so efficient that i have almost no heat in the exhaust and it is difficult to create enuff draft for the boiler exhaust vent. if i try to push the efficiency over about 95% then it only has about 2k btu of heat left in the exhaust which is not enuff to pull the exhaust outside so i had to tune it back down to about 90% so there would be enuff heat to carry the exhaust outside through the vent. i adjust the efficiency by derating the burner, which is normally 125k btu, down to about 35-40k btu by adjusting the gas valve on the boiler. the gas company service personnel are too stupid to even understand how it works. i am sure they just hooked your landlord for an unneeded service call and then wrote up a demand letter for him to replace the tank in order to justify their service call. that's the way the world works.

for three girls and me, about 40-50k btu/day for hot water. between 45 and 60 cents/day or about $15/mth for hot water with my boiler vs about $40/mth with the electric water heater.

There was gas flowing with everything off. He traced it to the water heater. Shut off off, no leak. Shut off on , pilot off, gas is flowing. Red tagged, new water heater.

I thought some people used the metal tank inside the gas water heater painted black in a reflector enclosure as a solar water heater.

Either way, if someone wants it, the price is right. :wink:

If you were in Phoenix, I'd snag it in a heartbeat, because I am looking for any non-leaking water heater to use for a rooftop solar water heater project.

(take tank out of insulation, paint black, stick in shiny metal trough with glass top pointed along sun arc, pipe water up to it and down to where it's needed).

AW,

Take one of your cargo bikes and use a dollar or two of electricity for a great road trip. Your sister can handle the dogs for a couple of days can't she?

It might be best to just use it as a "tempering tank": storage at ambient before the main heated storage tank.

If waste heat from other sources is available, that can be used to pre-warm the tempering tank.

John in CR said:
Take one of your cargo bikes and use a dollar or two of electricity for a great road trip. Your sister can handle the dogs for a couple of days can't she?
Even if my crazy sister were still here (last I heard she was wandering around Las Vegas), she couldn't even handle opening and closing a door without panic and drama. :(

Otherwise, I'd probably do lots of little road trips like that.

Maybe I need to build a bike that can haul me, all four dogs, water and food for them, and enough battery to make the trip, plus chargers.... :lol: That would be a project, for sure.

Yeah, the flue on a gas tank makes it harder to use for a solar water heater project.

AW, get those dogs watching the iditarod and they will help you pull the bike, less electricity needed. :lol:

Not exactly so. I used a gas water heater tank, as a water heater, mounted above a Propane Tank I converted to a wood furnace. Mounted the tank above the furnace, laying horizontal, and plumbed the water lines using Copper tube. Ran a pipe up from the furnace, 90'd into the chimney tube in the tank, then, on to the metal well casing chimney outside the house. We burned all the dry garbage wrappings, cereal boxes, etc., and small tree limbs in the summer, for hot water, never heating the house at all. I have photos of this Rube Goldberg, if anyone is interested.

I used to build "Breadbox" type Solar Water heaters. Took those gas water tanks, and usually they leaked from a small dob of flux not letting the weld seal up. Chip it off, tack a weld on with a MIG welder, so, little heat to chip the lining, and, good to go.

Then, build the box so the tank is flat but slightly elevated on one end, so the hot air will travel through that chimney pipe. Also, orient the pipe fitting holes, so one is at the upper level. Take out the anode rod plug, and, break off whats left of the anode. Use that hole for recirculation, if needed. Tank(s) fit in a 2 X 4 cradle sitting on the bottom.

This box sits outside the house, on the ground, on cement blocks. It is lined with polyisocyanurate, (Yellow foil sided foam board), completely, except for the top, which is glass. I used sliding glass doors for this. It's possible to get 2 tanks in one of these, sometimes. Spray the foil side of the liner with flat black BBQ paint.

Google "Breadbox Solar heater".

Being low in relation to the house, the hot water will rise and the cooler water in the house will settle back into the breadbox. I also used the TEEL Hot water pump, which is used on furnace boiler type heaters, to push hot water into the system, with a temp control I bought at Grainger. Mounting on the roof will mean a pump is required. For you guys in the winter, you can make up a "Solar Blanket" system, to cover the glass at night. I built one using an electric motor-gearbox, hooked to a roller, which the blanket was wound up on. Switched it to run both ways and spring wound to help with roll down. It was on a 1 story house roof, in Arkansas, where I lived and had the business.

One system, I put an electric heater on it's side, under the floor joists, after orienting it to the elements being on the BOTTOM of the install. I bled the air out, under pressure, so there was never any air to cause pressure, and, put a bent tube fitting up into the tank, to be able to bleed air, IF NECESSARY.

Near as I know, that system is still working. That was 22 years ago?????? Wish we had more sun here. I need to get my Wind Turbine built, but, our trees are over 60' tall now, so, I need a 100' tower, which is costly. :roll: :roll:

Harold in CR said:
Wish we had more sun here. I need to get my Wind Turbine built, but, our trees are over 60' tall now, so, I need a 100' tower, which is costly. :roll: :roll:

Back home in Hawaii a guy used one of his tall trees as the tower for his windmill.

AND, I've got just the tree, here. Problem is, I'm too damn old to climb anymore. Believe me, I have thought about buying a pair of tree hooks. I just know I will end up crippled, so, no sale.

I know how to build a suitable tower. Just takes money and a good flat work table. I can make it a crank up, so, 2-40' pieces would be fine, + guy wires, anchors, and some dependable help to get it all up in the air.

Back