Friction drive too Big Rc motor roadbike kills S12 esc

aCeMadMod

1 kW
hi all i need some help from the Es Friction drive Gods , i not great at math Or writing . i good with my hands i have parts around for over 1 year, after reading the posts about esc blow up with esc's and rc motor i was to chicken :pancake: to use them. has i have been use a only mid drive cyclone motor, with my bike. i love them for downhill ebikes. not so great for a road ebike. wight count here. i need a long ranger bike that can do 150 km. with no rechanger my speed i like to keep to around 35km to 40 km i have about 15km of %7 hills in my around trip :?: how much lipo's will i need for this trip

here my parts list

http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=EFLM4360A
Power 360 Brushless Outrunner Motor, 180Kv
Size: Power 360
Wire Gauge: 13 AWG
# of Turns/Windings: 8mm bullet
Recommended Prop Range: 24 x 10 to 25 x 12
Voltage: 44.4V
RPM/Volt (Kv): 180Kv
Resistance (Ri): 0.0019Ω
Idle Current (Io): 6.1A @ 40.0V
Continuous Current: 130A
Maximum Burst Current: 150A
Cells: 12S LiPo
Speed Control: 160A+ Brushless
Weight: 44 oz (1240 g)
Overall Diameter: 3.45 in (90mm)

my esc http://www.hobbywing.com/product_show.asp?id=189
Platinum-120A-HV-PRO it can use s12 lipo
or i am able to get a some other esc's are biger RC Turnigy dlux escs 250 amp , i don't know help at all for my back up esc

i like to use outside of motor Can on the back tire . like some the es Friction drive Gods, that great work who i copy from them , Thank you for alot of the info. to post online to help other .
i could not Find any post with my hardware use on a road ebike what will die first my esc or motor ? i like to s12 lipo :?

what be my max speed with this motor a road ebike useing 30 c lipo's in s12 on the flat road any guess would help me alot thank you

Attachments

• low res roadebike.jpg
    low res roadebike.jpg
    341.8 KB · Views: 8,276
Do I read correctly...a 90mm motor?

90mm 180kv motor on 12cell lipo will spin 7500rpm (rounded down)
Outside circumferance 28.3 cm (11.13 inches or .927 feet)

At full speed = 6952.5 feet per minute...or 79 miles per hour/127 kph.

Thats with 12 cells (44.4v nom) too fast?

Lets try 4cells:
2600 rpms = 28 miles per hour/ 45kph

Without a suitable drive roller, I speculate you may be slightly "over motored" for an "off the can" friction drive.

The only math you need is the surface speed of the motor can...or whatever your driving with.
Dimeter x pi (3.1415) = circumference x rpm will give you distance per minute x 60 will give you distace per hour.

(edit) I see SM beat me to the send button :mrgreen:

wow thank you spinningmagnets , i read alot of your work.. no one. seem a motor this big on a road Friction drive, 90 mm motor can with sand paper, i know you have use a hobbywong esc how long did it last ?
my hardware can you use 6s lipo and will it work ok this ? i need a bit help for the math, max speeds thank you 8)

Back