Front Hub Motor Reccomendations

automan25

100 mW
My wife took my new BBSHD build for a ride the other day and came back with a big smile on her face. Now I'm trying to figure out how to convert her bike to an eBike. Her bike has a Nuvinci N360 transmission on it, so that leaves out rear hub motors. I'm also hesitant to go with a mid-drive for fear of destroying the transmission. Hence my only option is a front hub motor. I know nothing about them however. What are your recommendations? I'd like it to have a reasonable amount of power 750+ watts, but don't want to add 20 pounds to the front of the bike. Are there any good options?

You can't get power with out weight. You would be better off getting a bike but decent bike and converting it to a e bike then touching what sounds like a very expensive bike. I wouldn't convert my fuji to a ebike but had no problem converting the swhinn.

Speaking of Shwinn their sidewinder is the best 150-250 dollar bike you can get. Its literally the only steel bike with front suspension I could find with shimano parts instead of generic shit aside from its crank set being by pro wheel and front suspension being a in house suspension by Schwinn.

Probably the most favored motor for a frt. mount is the Q100 geared mini motor. There is a ton of stuff here about it. Try searchwords like, Q100, Q100H and Cute.
It is sold by BMS Battery, E Life Bike and Green Bike Kit.

boytitan said:
You can't get power with out weight.
You can...but either cant' sustain the power (because you're overloading a smaller motor that can only take it momentarily) or you use a small but high RPM motor with a geardown system.

Possibly adding cooling of one type or another to either system, if necessary.

I regularly use "500w" motors at 2Kw--but only for a few seconds at a time to get started from a stop; after that they stay below their ratings.

automan25 said:
...What do you guys think about this kit?..

From my experience you will get some wheel slip on inclines with 750w at the front end. Slipping then gripping can spread dropouts in spite of a torque arm. Even with a 350w front hub I need to occasionally go easy to maintain traction. IMO, 500w up front would be more than adequate.

Depending on speed and terrain 2 front geared hubs come to mind.
Bpm 350w 201rpm is very powerful @ 20a and 20 mph run at 36v or 48v for 24/25mph, fairly heavy at 4 odd kgs and very good for hill climbing.
And as mentioned the Q100H nearly as good and 2.2 lbs lighter also 350w and available from PSWPower.com.

Mxus 1000w here. I just don't slam the throttle. No real problems. A pair of grin torque arms. Similar setup on a friends bike, his only transport, on a suspension fork for 2 years. Daily rider for 18 months. Pair of the same torque arms, a 750W Mxus DD.

I think the problems with front motors are over emphasized. Get torque arms from Grin. That's a MUST. And use 2.

Back