Getting rid of the rear Derailleur

potatorage

100 W
I rarely use my rear Derailleur, so I was thinking of removing it completely to save space on the handlebars. What kind of chain or chain tensioner would I need to install?

You can leave the derailleur itself, and remove the controls and cable. Then you have the chain tensioner for free, and don't have to shorten the chain.

Personally I like/use the Surly Singelator, but in my case I actually had to remove the derailleur.

MattyCiii said:
You can leave the derailleur itself, and remove the controls and cable. Then you have the chain tensioner for free, and don't have to shorten the chain.

This.... Depending on the derailer you may need to rig something to hold it in the gear position desired. I used an old Allen wrench pinched in the mechanism where the cable usually fits.

I've been an anti-shifter user for years and haven't missed it yet! Handlebars are cluttered enough. Btw, we had a "show us your handlebar" thread going a while back?

You don't need a chain tensioner at all.

You can also use any common chain, but it would be cheapest (but heaviest) if you used a 6/7/8 speed chain. If you are worried about saving a couple grams, a 10 speed chain will be lightest.

To get chain tension, you get the closest you can with the wheel deepest in the dropout. (You must shorten the chain if you're reusing the old chain). You then walk the wheel backwards until the chain tension is right and lock the wheel there.

Wait, I'm assuming no front gears either. Is that true? If you do have a front gear, you probably will need to keep your tensioner.

You will need a chain tensioner in my experience. I tried running sans tensioner and even with a snug chain it would often hop off. I think the shape of the gears on the cluster lends itself to derailing more than a single speed gear would.

+1 on the Surly singleator.

CH8898.jpg

http://surlybikes.com/parts/singleator

Ykick said:
You will need a chain tensioner in my experience. I tried running sans tensioner and even with a snug chain it would often hop off. I think the shape of the gears on the cluster lends itself to derailing more than a single speed gear would.

Yeah, I was assuming he was essentially going a fixie. Bad assumption, reading over his post again.

A rear gear cluster can be fairly heavy. If you're going to go to fixed speed anyway, why not go the whole hog. Too expensive to rebuild the wheel?

I vote for keep the derailur, but fix it on the gear you want one way or another. One option is replacing the cable with a short piece of baling wire. Adjust, twist to hold it there, and go.

Or, I used an old Allen wrench to set the desired (top) gear. Bent the short end over to form a hook then clamp to derailer cable scheme.

Pardon the crappy pics but here's a quick look:
View attachment 1

there are single speed tensioner kits out there that are far cheaper. But the singleator looks nice ;)

if you have a cassette setup, Nashbar has a single speedup for around $20

http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product_10053_10052_175492_-1___202427

Back