• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Going from one battery chemistry to another.

Warhammer138

1 µW
Noob operator's first post! Thanks in advance to all who help!
First and foremost, this is a basic rundown of the equipment. All from RisunMotor/HalloMotor.
1500W brushless gearless rear hub motor wheel 26x4.
12 FET 45A 1500W programmable Sine Wave controller.
36V- 72V TFT-750C display.
I have a Honda Civic Hybrid NiMH battery that I had happened across and bought for next to nothing. I am considering breaking it down making some packs with the cells. My question, that I can't seem to get a answer to anywhere, is... would I be able to use a NiMH pack in place of my 48v 20ah Li-ion (18650 cells) and 48v 17ah Li-ion (26650 cells) when they are not available and of course , go back to using them when they are? Multi-chem compatibility, in essence.
I want to make it clear... I'm talking about STAND ALONE... one chemistry at a time! Not in conjunction with.

As long as the pack voltage is within the controller's range, and the battery can supply 45A continuously, there should be no problem using it to run your bike.

You'll need to use a charger with appropriate charge profile and termination voltage for your NiMH, though. I'm not familiar with the cells you're using, so I can't advise you more specifically than that.

Justins cross-canada trip,
didnt he mix different chemistries but the charge is what cooked his pack while charging

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=7134&start=125#p107328

Chalo said:
As long as the pack voltage is within the controller's range, and the battery can supply 45A continuously, there should be no problem using it to run your bike.

I think the discharge rating goes down as the state of charge decreases for NiMH, so you probably want to build the pack to discharge greater that 45A. I'd be interested to see how it turns out though.

Back