GPS locators for bikes, dogs, babies, etc.?

Nehmo

10 kW
There are plenty of devices advertised that provide GPS tracking. Typically, the customer buys the device plus subscribes to a service, like a cell phone subscription. The customer can then go to a website to see the location of his device.
Since GPS trackers are getting reasonably cheap, it makes sense to use them with any important thing. Naturally, pets and vehicles are two of these things. Bikes present a bit of an additional challenge because the device needs to be hidden to stay active while in the thief's possession.
What's the opinion of everybody on this? Does anybody have any recent experience? What would you recommend of the current offerings?
I plan to get one for my dog too. Actually, that one will come before the bike one. [youtube]dEeQCe2F_1I[/youtube]

Why not just use an old android smartphone, and install one of the apps that use it's built-in GPS to tell you (text, etc) when it's moved and where?

Might not be as small or power efficient as a dedicated device, but could be cheaper to do if you have a cel provider that lets you add extra "lines" to your account cheaply.

A few months before the housefire, I saw some of htose pet GPS trackers while I was working a store remodel, and they were pretty expensive, and required you to sign up for *their* specific service to use them (and at least one version of them only worked with certain celprovider services/towers, so it couldn't even be used at all in some areas, even though you'd be going thru the manufacturer of the tracker for service, and not one of the cel providers).

Anyway, I don't have any direct experience with any of these trackers, though.

There was a report on 20/20 that showcased the bicycle black market in San Fran. The reporters dropped a GPS in the down-tube of the bait bicycle that would get them in the general vicinity. They used a radio signal to pinpoint the exact location, but I did not see where they place the radio transmitter.

I have been thinking about starting an ebike rental company and GPS would compliment the business model well.

There's a few products available. The typical arrangement is a monthly fee + the cost of the device. This one, The Tagg, is $120 + 9.95/month after first two months + one-time $14.95 activation fee. The link I provided isn't the cheapest.
31yaKlDD7XL.jpg
mini-gps-tracker.jpg

When buying something like this, I like to see a recommendation in a forum. The published reviews are often poisoned with fakes so they can't be trusted.

amberwolf said:
Why not just use an old android smartphone, and install one of the apps that use it's built-in GPS to tell you (text, etc) when it's moved and where?

Might not be as small or power efficient as a dedicated device, but could be cheaper to do if you have a cel provider that lets you add extra "lines" to your account cheaply.
Some of the trackers you can buy don't have a sim card and you get one to make it work. But another line, from Family Mobile, eg, (not my carrier, but I think it's the cheapest), is $20 USD/month + your original line, which I think can be $25 USD/month
Maybe there are other arrangements. Somehow the Tagg one does it for 12$ USD/Month. Maybe there's some kind of low-use data line from some carrier.

I think this is the video you were referring to...

http://abc.go.com/shows/2020/listing/2014-12/05-2020-125-hot-pursuit

number1cruncher said:
There was a report on 20/20 that showcased the bicycle black market in San Fran. The reporters dropped a GPS in the down-tube of the bait bicycle that would get them in the general vicinity. They used a radio signal to pinpoint the exact location, but I did not see where they place the radio transmitter.

I have been thinking about starting an ebike rental company and GPS would compliment the business model well.

Connected Cycle
smart-pedal-468x468.jpg

The product deserves mention here, but I'm not even sure it's reached prototype phase.
One method: if you're willing to pay for a cell phone subscription, called a "plan" nowadays, and if you want to hide a smart cellphone on your item, you can use software to locate the cellphone.
Smart phones are selling for as little as $20 for a Walmart Family Mobile, but I'm not clear what would be the cheapest plan. A regular line is about $40/month. I think there is some GPS only system that's cheaper, but I haven't figured it out yet.

For what its worth? T-Mobile SIM card $3 per month. Check if T-Mobile works where you are?

Thief pried open a window in a vacant house I own. Bought a security system and this T-Mobile Standard SIM card. Never did nothing as to security system instillation. Paid $70.69 for the T-Mobile standard size SIM card. Will sell it for $35. If you interested I could scan all the paper work and email it to you. Paid in advance for a bunch of months. Not sure how many?

Look here
http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/pay-as-you-go
Pay As You Go
$3 per month includes 30 minutes of talk or 30 text messages—or any combination of the two, up to 30—and lets you keep your phone number from month to month
Add additional talk and text at a low flat rate of 10 cents per minute/message (sending and receiving)

LoganP2 on Instructables has this GPS tracking project.
I'd like to make one, partially for the utility of it, but also for its instructive value.
FGRIG3CI92LT354.MEDIUM.jpg

There also a new article on the TAGG product.
"The Tagg Pet Tracker is available for $99.95, but also carries a monthly subscription fee of $7.95 for the location and activity tracking capabilities."
whistle-and-tagg-pet-tech-10.png

Does anyone have any idea how the Stromer II Omni System works?
It was featured on Wired recently for thwarting a robbery in progress.

Sure, it's Swiss made and the hefty price tag might include cost of keeping it "connected" but if details about how it achieves its anti-theft functionality was ever released but I missed it. Post it here!

Link to Wired Article here: http://www.wired.com/2015/04/stromer-theft-mode/
Link to bicycle software here: http://www.stromerbike.com/en/ca/omni

Back