Grease

Looking for opinions and experience with different types of grease.

I have a geared motor and wonder what the effects of different types of grease have. I am looking for more of a sound dampener that anything and hate to open the motor up 20 times to try different types of grease.
Not really sure if grease is even a good way to go. It may collect things that are not wanted.
Please offer up your experiences.

http://www.whitelightningco.com/products/index.htm
a wax based lubricant I use for my bike chain, brake/derailleur cables, & on the threads of the tailcap on my m@glite to keep it from binding & stripping out.
Not sure how well it would hold up at high rpm/high heat but the benefit of using wax is that it won't attract contaminants.
I would have thought that there should be some sort of grease in there already from the factory?

Do a search of greases for gears & noise reduction.

I'd be tempted to drill a hole or two in the motor side plate for a grease nipple, if the side plates are close enough to the gear cluster for the grease to reach. Or maybe just a hole and use a tube attached to the grease gun push it inside the workings and squirt couple globs of grease, then clean out excess after few years. :)

The grease that Heinzmann used on my geared hub was clear and amber in color, after 5 years use was still new looking and super slippery.

recumbent said:
The grease that Heinzmann used on my geared hub was clear and amber in color, after 5 years use was still new looking and super slippery.

Like this.

Castrol Grease.jpg

Castrol makes a good synthetic grease

From their site.

Synthetic durability for maximum protection under severe service conditions.
Superior performance under extreme high and low temperatures. Exceptional resistance to water, rust, dirt and corrosion.

If you decide on auto grease get the synthetic type.
as an auto mechanic i can tell you it's a lot better and lasts 10 times longer then regular grease

Yes the pictured grease looks nice and very familiar, but most importantly, pay the extra dollars to get it.

If one grease is $3 a tube and another is $12 and synthetic, pay the extra few dollars and use it sparingly, money well spent.

The only thing that can help reduce noise is thicker grease but it makes more resistance. You can see on your grease package NLGI spec. Basicly it it thickness/temperature. Most common is NLGI2. You can try NLGI0 only if gear box is properly sealed, because it is become liquid above 15-30°C. NLGI3 will reduce noise but eventualy it will be pushed from the gears leaving them dry. If your gear box is sealed I will recommend some thick truck gear oil like 90W-140 (ChevronTexaco Open Gear Grease ,is basicly NLGI00 but it is very sticky) or( http://www-static.shell.com/static/ca-en/downloads/shell_for_businesses/oils_lubricants/7-02.pdf NLGI000) if its not then NLGI2 waterproof and dustproof grease.

HAL9000v2.0 said:
If your gear box is sealed I will recommend some thick truck gear oil like 90W-140

I don't think gear oil is suitable for this.
if you look at trucks rear end (or car) it has a vent tube (pressure regulated) for pressure (fumes) build up from the oil.
some rear ends even have a hose with a filter (vent) (filter is so dust doesn't get in)
I have never seen a geared hub motor up close but unless they have a vent tube, i wouldn't use it.
last think you need is pressure build up.

vent tube.jpg

just my 2 cents

I used vaseline once for a freewheel. This was around 1975 and my brand new 10speed was very noisy coasting. Clicking drove me crazy. Thought about it and figured that the key was to get light grease down to the all the parts that really counted, and pack it in. So did this -- warmed up the freewheel, gears and all with a propane torch. Not hot, just good and warm. then melted down a batch of vaseline and poured it in. It flowed freely, like oil, filling all the nooks and crannies. After it cooled and gelled, that thing was silent, and always grabbed.

That bike's got lots of miles on it and is still on the road. And that treatment lasted a long time

Not sure I'd recommend vaseline as a gear lubricant -- there's not a lot of stress on a coasting freewheel -- but the the technique of application may have some bearing. (ohh, bad pun)

Are your gears isolated from the motor windings? This is something worth checking before you go crazy with grease.

You don't want too much grease slinging into the windings, especially if it's conductive grease :shock:

I just got the free sample pack of grease from Nye and it contains 5 little pouches of grease graded from oil type to extra thick! There might be enuff in the top three thickest ones together to put in my Bafang gears. Too bad I just re-installed the motor (I used Lithium grease) and it runs fine. I hate to take it down again so soon! Maybe someone who is forced to opoen theirs can report. Just fill out the form on their website and ask for "damping grease".
otherDoc

Back