Guys running printed pulleys- do your belts squeak?

Qwiksand

100 W
My belt is really squeaky and all the noise seams to come from the printed pulley/belt interface. I'm using a crappy Ametric HTD5, 15mm wide belt and I printed my pulley using eSun PETG. The PETG is holding up fine, though little rocks tend to stick into the grooves- becoming embedded in the plastic enough that a take a pick-tool to get them out. I've got some nylon and ABS on hand, but I wanted to get some feedback from the community before I print another.

Longevity/durability wise, the PETG pulley is awesome- noise wise, it sucks. Let me know what material you printed your pulley with, if there's any noise and if you are having any wear issues thus far.

I use pla for my pulley with a 9mm pollybelt brand belt and I haven't had any squeaking. I would say its the belt that may be at fault. Pollybelts are quiet cheep and i haven't broke one yet. I would recommend them.

Both ABS and Nylon pulley's here. not a squeak to be heard. was about to make some petg ones.. maybe i'll hold off

Are you certain your alignment is right? I'm using aluminum pulleys and got some squeaking before they were properly aligned . . .

Post by BrandtR » Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:41 pm

I use pla for my pulley with a 9mm pollybelt brand belt and I haven't had any squeaking. I would say its the belt that may be at fault. Pollybelts are quiet cheep and i haven't broke one yet. I would recommend them.

I'll check those belts out, thanks. The noise is definitely only present on the PETG pulley, just tested with another glass-filled nylon pulley I had sitting around.

Post by killisch » Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:44 am

Both ABS and Nylon pulley's here. not a squeak to be heard. was about to make some petg ones.. maybe i'll hold off

Awesome, that's what I needed to hear.

Post by SteveS » Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:25 pm

Are you certain your alignment is right? I'm using aluminum pulleys and got some squeaking before they were properly aligned . . .

Alignment is square. I can make the noise just by squeezing the belt with my fingers near the PETG pulley- kind of sounds like a miniature version of the wet sneaker on a gym floor.

I'm using a pulley printed with 3d solutions petg and it just started squeaking today, kinda blends with the motor noise so its not that much of an issue.

But i'm going to print another one with TPE (Flex ~90a ish) and see if that works better. its still stronger than abs, cheaper than nylon..

saul said:
I'm using a pulley printed with 3d solutions petg and it just started squeaking today, kinda blends with the motor noise so its not that much of an issue.

But i'm going to print another one with TPE (Flex ~90a ish) and see if that works better. its still stronger than abs, cheaper than nylon..

Alright, independent confirmation for squeaky PETG! Post back how the TPE works out for you- I've never printed any of the flexy filaments.

As to expensive nylon, give this a go: http://www.amazon.com/Maxpower-333605-Residential-105-Inch-690-Foot/dp/B001BKZT1S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1459977364&sr=8-1&keywords=maxpower+trimmer+line+.105

Comes in various diameters, the .105" measures around 2.8mm on average- perfect for my 3mm filament set-ups. $26 for 3 pounds, cheapest nylon I've found. I've printed 3 or 4 spools of this stuff and never had an issue with clogs, just make sure it's very dry. I also use a diluted Elmer's white glue slurry on a heated mirror/glass bed with a 5-15mm brim (depends on the part, I'll probably run a 10mm brim for the pulley) to minimize warpage on larger parts.

printed one in Winbo Petg and it doesn't make a noise.
my belts are htd5m-15mm wide belts. from alibaba and made of fiber reinforce rubber. maybe different setup to yours.

Cheers
Alex

killisch said:
printed one in Winbo Petg and it doesn't make a noise.
my belts are htd5m-15mm wide belts. from alibaba and made of fiber reinforce rubber. maybe different setup to yours.

Cheers
Alex

Mine started out quiet too, but after a few rides the squeaking began. Keep us posted either way! I still haven't changed mine out- need to dry out some nylon...

I changed my belt to a Vex Pro and squeaking has been significantly reduced. It was dead silent initially and now, after about 20 miles on the new belt, I get a little squeak when I squish it, but not noticeable when riding. I'll keep testing...

I get zero squeak with these new belts, problem solved. If you buy cheap belts, expect some squeaking.

PETG pulley is holding up very well, easily over a hundred miles on it and no worse for wear. Even the little rocks and glass shards I pick out of the grooves seem to have little impact.

Back