Hall Sensor Emulator ???

john in dc

10 µW
Been thinking about how to hack a PAS system (ie how to get the motor to run without pedaling) without replacing the existing controller. Then it occurred to me: Why not create a Hall sensor emulator to give the existing controller the signal needed to provide the pedal assist.

As I see it, there are two approaches here:

1) A true switched/variable emulator circuit that resides electrically between the PAS sensor ring and the controller. Because it would be switched and variable, you could choose to use the actual signal from the PAS sensor ring - - or- - choose to use the emulator mode which would be variably controlled via a twist handlebar throttle.

2) Same function as above but using a timer circuit to drive an electromagnet coil which would be placed next to the hall sensor itself - - which would give the controller the impression that the pedals are turning when they really aren't.

Of course, for safety reasons, you must have a way to cut the input during braking but as my controller already has this capability it's not really such an issue for me but could be for others.

Again, I realize the easiest way to accomplish this is to swap in a new controller. Just looking or ways to think out of the box and to convert a pedelec only (or PAS only) bike into a twist-throttle controlled one.

Thoughts?

Rgds...

- John

most controllers I now have a throttle input that overwrites PAS function, have you ever tried to just connect a throttle? Post a pic of your controller PCB, then we might find the throttle connector. I can ride my bikes with both PAS and throttle if I want.

Speedict does this

Back