He pretend to built the "Fastest E-Bike on the planet&

knightmb said:
safe said:
:arrow: Which is more likely to be allowed to be initially sold as a legal bicycle?
Well, you do intend on adding pedals right? :wink:

Depends on where you sell it. Some states limit the e-bike to 20 mph (how insane, my bike club does 30 MPH everywhere, people power). You would have to speed limit it for those states, but I have to say, the picture you have it nice. It could easily become a nice electric motorcycle with the right motor and batteries :twisted:

I'm still getting started on all this... the next project will struggle with integrating pedals into the transmission. (Project #003)

:arrow: The only American law we have that is federal is the one that goes:

1. 750 watt motor
2. Must have pedals
3. Max speed 20 mph on the flat

...but most states allow 30 mph based on their own separate laws.

I have no problem selling such a bike with a little 250 watt motor that can't get you going (unassisted) faster than 20 mph in order to satisfy those states and localities that are the most restrictive. But my guess is that people would buy the bike and then modify it themselves adding new motors and changing the way the gearing is set up.

Obviously if someone slaps a PMG 132 onto one of my bikes they can get into the 60+ mph range pretty easily and my hope would be that the frame could handle all the stresses. But I really don't want that to be what happens. Ideally there would be some minor upgrades that push the top speed up to 35 - 40 mph and that's it. Beyond 35 - 40 mph and I think you should need to get a license like a motorcycle.

mastermarc said:
...why not criticize fighter jets because they are not easy to park in your garage.

You must not post here very much. :?

This forum doesn't do the usual "crazy overreactions" like so many messageboards get into. You just don't "need" to go there. The idea of slapping an Etek motor onto a bike is what is being debated here and you're not the first to have presented the idea.

:arrow: We have discovered certain "themes" of bikes over time:

1. Overvolted Hub Motors
2. Small motors combined with Gears
3. Very large motorcycle motors attached to bicycles

...within all this there are variations like recumbents and trikes.

I'm pretty much the sole inventor of the electric "Road Racer" bicycle concept and have actually been doing various project revolving around similiar ideas for 25 years. (I'm 46 years old)

So hopefully you now understand what goes on here... we like to examine and discuss all ideas, so don't take anything here personally, our goal is the advancement of knowledge. That's it.

mastermarc said:
Oh and just to put some icing on the cake. Etek 15hp motor isn't quite a "motorcycle" motor. As its 15hp. The most it will ever be is a good dirt bike motor, it's never going to be capable of real motorcycle speeds (over 100).
Safe already answered a few of your previous questions, legal stuff and all. I'll point out that the DOT (at least in the US) considers anything over 125cc a motorcycle. You know, the kind that do over 100MPH. So that works out to roughly between 7 to 9 HP (DOT uses the 17cc = 1HP formula). So you don't think a 15HP electric motor won't do the same, especially when it's not as limited by it's RPM range and torque curve as an ICE motor?

Like Safe said, we aren't as dramatic here because a lot of us have hashed out what it takes to get a bike up to 30, 40, 50, 60+ MPH a long time ago. A lot of us already have e-bikes that go that fast. A lot of us have advanced electronics (Cycle Analyst, Drain Brain, etc) that show exactly how much power, amps, volts, our e-bikes need to go up certain inclines and certain flat-level speeds. Our types and designs all vary, we all have a preference towards a certain design, but in the spirit of discussion we don't take everything someone says as a personal attack but just an opinion that someone else is free to express.

So don't worry, we aren't trying to make your design and hard work into anything more/less than it is. :wink:

knightmb said:
but in the spirit of discussion we don't take everything someone says as a personal attack but just an opinion that someone else is free to express.

sign07.jpg

Back