Heat sinks for hub motors?

Well you move the goal posts so there's no point continuing the discussion.
fatty said:
I'm not so sure about this. So far, I've been careful to limit my explanations to upright performance bicycles on surfaces where achieving 100% rearward weight transfer is trivial (140A into a DD45 Std).
You have repeatedly stated that it is trivial, full stop. You have not stated it as a condition to your argument:
fatty said:
No, power-to-weight doesn't negate the argument, because you're ignoring weight transfer.

If your front wheel sets right back down, then you're not accelerating at the greatest possible rate, and you can use higher volts in the rear to keep accelerating at the limit of control.
fatty said:
it is trivial to achieve 100% rearward weight transfer (and thus wheelie) an e-bike
fatty said:
In any case, weight transfer is not a "possibility" -- it's physics.
And included other vehicle types:
fatty said:
The solution, again resolved definitively over the past 100 years, is simply to tire the RWD bike for the conditions: from sand paddles to studded ice tires -- both of which can achieve 100% rearward weight transfer.
So I'm done here.

serious_sam said:
Well you move the goal posts so there's no point continuing the discussion.

Maybe we misunderstood each other? I was hedging -- I meant that I'm not so sure "there is no general rule that universally applies". Meaning I think there is a general rule that universally applies. Sorry for the double-negative.

Although I think the most familiar examples that FWD cannot provide further acceleration beyond what RWD can provide are upright ebikes on pavement that can achieve 100% rearward weight transfer, I've now given counterexamples of full weight transfer on sand and ice. I haven't found anyone pulling wheelies on recumbents, but given sufficient tire and power, the same fundamental limit to acceleration would occur: 100% rearward weight transfer and loss of steering control.

The reason why I don’t like FWD for bikes is because in too many situations the powered wheel does does skid, and I hate skidding from the front on 2 wheels. I don’t mind skidding of the rear because it is manageable with weight transfer and adequate steering. Trying to recover from the front washing out is playing dices, and sometimes likely to send a rider flying high side.

Adding weight on the front is not a good reason for a front motor. If more weight is required on the front, it is a matter of geometry. A bike is never too light, and it is too heavy if the performance that it has can be achieved with lesser weight.

Back