HEB Allscape Tires for Dolomite Flat Prevention?

Hello E-S Community-

I recently integrated a 3000watt NB Power Kit (25x4) and 72v 20ah battery into a Mongoose Dolomite, which seems to have an iron frame since it’s a 2015 model I believe.

The reality of this is the total weight of the bike jumped from probably forty pounds to like seventy pounds, at least. It appears that I have underestimated the impact of increased weight coupled with motor torque on the new tires I purchased from Amazon (pic included) because Ive had two flats in one week.

The first flat was the result of an inch-long baseboard trim staple in the rear, and the second was literally a strong piece of wire that wanted to mate with my front tire. How does a malleable piece of wire get stuck a third inch deep into my FRONT tire? I’m not even running 20psi, but again, I appear to have underestimated much force is being applied to these tires during operation.

This led me to return these brown tires yesterday and order some HEB Allscape (26x4) tires that seem quite hardy. A lot of these off the shelf ebikes seem to be quite heavy, and Ive read great reviews by folks with even 60ah batteries, so I know those folks are carrying weight and going distances.

Here’s the link for the HEB tires: https://a.co/d/hd0cf2B

I’m literally just looking for an ebike tire that gives me enough confidence to go travel further than two miles from my home. I’ve put together a capable motor tool kit but im not looking forward to spending 40 minutes disassembling my bike on the side of the road in 90-degree heat. I’d like to think these “premium-grade” tires will help me avoid that scenario.

Can anyone speak to the durability of these tires? Ive read good things, but they’re reviews by non-technical folk.

Please do not school me on added rolling resistance or added weight reducing top speed or battery longevity. I’m pushing 3000 watts on 72v with statorade, so there’s enough torque here at 25mph that I won’t notice a difference on a ten-mile ride. I’m too scared to take it passed 35mph because it feels like it wants to do at least 50mph, so I’m actually looking forward to a little more rolling resistance lol.

So yea, reliability is my main goal here. Any feedback would be valuable to me.

Attachments

• IMG_3097.png
    IMG_3097.png
    2 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_3098.png
    IMG_3098.png
    737.1 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2931.jpeg
    IMG_2931.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 7
My copious experience with construction trash in bike lanes suggests that no tire in the 4" size range will put up any effective resistance against metal sharps. That size implies thin casing between tread elements, and more often than not very coarse fabrics in the carcass. No tire with air in it will tolerate drywall screws, roofing nails, or other such things; but some sturdily constructed tires with armor belts will sometimes resist things like small staples, drill swarf, electrical knockouts etc.

EBC Rhino 26 x 3" is the toughest tire I know that will fit on a 80+ mm wide rim.

If I were you, I'd go with a quieter, easier rolling tread like Vee Speedster/Origin8 Captiv8er or Origin8 Supercell, and use Flatout in the tubes. Even with an armored tire like EBC Rhino, I'd put Flatout in the tubes. The only reason I don't use it in my e-bike tubes is because I typically run pressures of 50-80 psi depending on tire width, and I don't think Flatout will work reliably at those pressures. But on my fat tire trike, I definitely put it in there, and it has saved the day before.

My copious experience with construction trash in bike lanes suggests that no tire in the 4" size range will put up any effective resistance against metal sharps. That size implies thin casing between tread elements, and more often than not very coarse fabrics in the carcass. No tire with air in it will tolerate drywall screws, roofing nails, or other such things; but some sturdily constructed tires with armor belts will sometimes resist things like small staples, drill swarf, electrical knockouts etc.

EBC Rhino 26 x 3" is the toughest tire I know that will fit on a 80+ mm wide rim.

If I were you, I'd go with a quieter, easier rolling tread like Vee Speedster/Origin8 Captiv8er or Origin8 Supercell, and use Flatout in the tubes. Even with an armored tire like EBC Rhino, I'd put Flatout in the tubes. The only reason I don't use it in my e-bike tubes is because I typically run pressures of 50-80 psi depending on tire width, and I don't think Flatout will work reliably at those pressures. But on my fat tire trike, I definitely put it in there, and it has saved the day before.
Chalo-

Thanks for such a solid reply. These HEB tires get here on Thursday and I’m going to ride them for a week before purchasing the Rhinos. They’re about the same cost, fifty more dollars for a set than 90% of the tires I’m seeing online.

There seems to be two, maybe three grades of fat tires, and this is without delving into the tire construction weeds. I’ve learned that the entry-level ($50) and $100 tires are going to give me consistent flats, and I guess the goal would be flat reduction. The top tier seem to be the closest to motorcycle tires, which is what I’m going for.

Realistically, you’re totally right about no 4” tire being impervious to flats; however, I think I’ll be satisfied with even one flat a month at the rate I’ve experienced them in the last two weeks.

Do you know where I could find those Rhinos? Im having trouble finding them online.

Also, what do you think about that flatout stuff? Ive heard it actually works but have always worried about that stuff causing my tire to become lopsided.

How does it work? Does seal up holes automatically? Ive never put a goo inside my tires lol.

Do you know where I could find those Rhinos? Im having trouble finding them online.

I have no affiliation with EBC.

Also, what do you think about that flatout stuff? Ive heard it actually works but have always worried about that stuff causing my tire to become lopsided.

How does it work? Does seal up holes automatically? Ive never put a goo inside my tires lol.

Flatout has a gravy-like viscosity, so it doesn't stay in a lump on one side. It doesn't congeal or clump over time like most other sealants. It seals small punctures without intervention. I expect that Flatout has a relatively low pressure limit that would cover fatbike tires but not full pressure in MTB/city tires, though I have not experimented with it at higher pressures.

It works with tubeless tires, like the ATV sand tires I use on the rear of my trike, but like any sealant I prefer to put it in a tube to minimize the opportunity for mess.

At 2.6kg, it sounds like a halfway decent tire, but it may only offer 4-7mm of rubber thickness; i'd add flatout into the mixture and that should be relatively bulletproof in conjunction with a fairly thick tire like this.

At 2.6kg, it sounds like a halfway decent tire, but it may only offer 4-7mm of rubber thickness
I suspect they squandered most of that on knobs that don't really help. In between I bet it's as thin as a recreational tire.

You folks are great. Thank you so much!

I’ve got my trusty harbor freight micrometer to evaluate their thickness, which intend to do. No joke, there really arent too many options for hardened 26x4 tires like those HEB ones. I keep watching reviews and folks are ranting and raving about these things. Those Rhinos look solid, Chalo, but they dont seem to have a 4” wide model; yes, I know this wouldnt be a problem if I didnt choose a clumsy fat bike platform, lol.

Sure, there are grumblings about battery life and speed with those HEB Allscape tires, but I could care less about those things. I care more about not fixing a flat in 95 degree heat with motorists flying by, lol. Not the ideal situation. I still intend to bring a capable tool kit with me, but I pray to use it minimally. Seriously though, these tires might be worth recommending to fat tire conversion owners if they live up their reputation.

I’m also watching AMAZING videos on youtube showing the capabilities of FlatOut. Absolutely incredible what that stuff can do! Nutso in fact.

Neptronix- I think you’re right in that this tire combined with Flatout will likely be a bulletproof set-up that will at least allow me to get home to repair rather than leaving me stranded.

Thanks for your input boys. Seriously. Feeling very confident about this so far and am looking forward to slapping those tires on!

Back