Help me figure out what I'm missing..

granolaboy said:
you could always just strap a second bike on there...

I WAS thinking of going "Continental style", and adding a Spare Wheel/Motor combo on the back.. ;)

999zip999 said:
A box of rubbers and a inflatable partner ( of your choice ) if you can't find a live one. Folds flat if you take the air out. Or can be used for the carpool lane. A spare rubber in case the first one breaks. Wouldn't want the rubber doll to sue you later for child support. Dna test kit.
Interestingly enough...
I DO have TWO sets of "rubbers". One set for my feet.. (Which reminds me, I have to add my raingear to the list).. And the other set... Well you know what those are for. (Didn't really want to add it to the list, but will, if you really want me to, JUST for YOU!)

DAND214 said:
Why do you carry all that stuff?

Doesn't Apple have an APP for your phone yet?

Oh here it is E-bike repair!

Iphones can do everything.

Dan

Actually the two apps I constantly use are.....
1.) Google Maps for directions and search function.
2.) Weather Channel for inclement weather.

Honestly, all that stuff only adds about 7-8 lbs. to the bike, so why not carry it?
(Plus, I HAVE the room for it.)

FYI.. My MINIMUM (daily) commute is 30 miles (50km).

sangesf said:
MadRhino said:
What about the Park tool ? :mrgreen:
What is a park tool? (Maybe I know it by another/slang name? Or, I don't get the joke).
We commonly call a Park Tool, a bicycle mechanic workstand.
I guess that is because most of them are made by Park Tool.

7859.jpg

MadRhino said:
sangesf said:
MadRhino said:
What about the Park tool ? :mrgreen:
What is a park tool? (Maybe I know it by another/slang name? Or, I don't get the joke).
We commonly call a Park Tool, a bicycle mechanic workstand.
I guess that is because most of them are made by Park Tool.

7859.jpg

I call it a "bike stand"...
LOL.. My bike would crush one of those.... It weighs about 150-160 lbs. (70 kilos).
(Bike - Steel Frame, Two Hub Motors, Two 36v 20ah batteries, One 12v 35ah SLA, Rear Battery Box,
front accessories box, aforementioned "Spare parts box", miscellaneous other stuff..

I've found bus fare a suprisingly handy thing to carry on the bike. Just when you need it, oops, just spent my last dollar in the grocery store. Bus don't do the debit card. And you get change from a 20 in the form of a pass. :roll: So a few quarters for bus fare, and or turning on an air machine is nice to have handy.

dogman said:
I've found bus fare a suprisingly handy thing to carry on the bike. Just when you need it, oops, just spent my last dollar in the grocery store. Bus don't do the debit card. And you get change from a 20 in the form of a pass. :roll: So a few quarters for bus fare, and or turning on an air machine is nice to have handy.
Unfortunately, my bike don't fit on the bus rack because of the fat rear tire and there is NO WAY I would leave my bike unattended for any amount of time... It would get stolen within an hour, even with my alarm and the weight of the bike...
If I'm ever stuck where I can't get my bike moving again, I'd just call my bro-in-law and have him come pick up me and my bike.
I haven't gone farther than 50 or so miles from my house yet, but if I did I'd be ready for just about any issue.

Same thing would happen to me when I ride the longtail. I'd just have to pedal, drag or carry it if I couldn't scare up a freind with a truck. One reason to have the battery removable. At least the most expensive part can get on the bus with you, if they don't freak and call cops that is.

dogman said:
Same thing would happen to me when I ride the longtail. I'd just have to pedal, drag or carry it if I couldn't scare up a freind with a truck. One reason to have the battery removable. At least the most expensive part can get on the bus with you, if they don't freak and call cops that is.
Technically, the front battery and the rear battery box (which holds one motor battery and my 12v acc battery and "parts kit" and chargers and etc..) IS removable... (I have it all connected with "trailer hitch" connectors, which can be pulled for removal). Problem is, the front battery DOES look like a bomb and the rear battery box weighs about 50lbs... I remove both of those when I'm going on a long trip (more than 50 miles away from home) and need to bring my bicycle on the train (since [as of this year] they no longer allow electric bicycles on trains)...
I put the battery and box in a large luggage case to alleviate those issues.

Here are a couple of pics...

First.. "The Bomb"
f494abab.jpg

Here are the "truck connects"...

3c10db0f.jpg

999zip999 said:
What range do you think you will get with your setup and the way you ride ?
I get anywhere from 80 to 100 miles (133-166km) depending on wind direction, mostly.
I live in south east Florida where it's ALL flat roads.. (Maybe the occasional 2% grade up or down / or the occasional bridge.)

P.S. If I'm on regular traffic (light) roads I usually get the 80, if I'm on a long non-light road and have the wind behind me, I can get a max of 116 miles.. And yes, I've done it before..
I almost never pedal. Max speed is 20mph and max amps is 17. (I do have a switch to "add" 12v to the front motor to get more speed (same amp pull tho)...

-Leatherman

-Flare Gun

-Pepper Spray

-Printed maps of the area you travel

-Spare sandwich

Joe

shock said:
-Leatherman

-Flare Gun

-Pepper Spray

-Printed maps of the area you travel

-Spare sandwich

Joe
LOL..
Leatherman I always have on my person.
Flare Gun... Now that's just comical.
Pepper Spray... I'm 6' 190lbs of 8% body fat in a martial artist trained body. Don't need it.
Have Google Maps on my iPhone.
Spare sandwich... I'll just chew on my fingernails for a while.

Leatherman - check
Flare Gun - you never know..
Pepper Spray - for occasional Rabid Mutt
Printed maps - batteries die and phones break
Spare Sandwich - This has literally saved my life once.

tuxman said:
Maybe not a sandwich but an energy bar for sure.

Reflective vest.

I have bright 55w lights halogen...
Battery on my phone never dies.. I have the 200w inverter in case it does.

I also added to the list..
Velcro
Spare Fuses

How about a chain breaker? I know, it's probably low on the priority list for an ebiker but I was near the Golden Gate bridge a couple months ago and this lycra dud was running around absolutely frantic asking for a chain breaker. I looked down and sure enough, his chain was broke in two. I guess a broken chain is bad for a lycra. The chain breakers are pretty small so I've been carrying one myself.

Shock: How'd the sandwich save your life? It sounds like a good idea but I would have it gone pretty quick.

Definitely have a chain breaker in my crosscountry tool kit. Haven't needed it on a good bike, but chains from wallbikes have needed it.

What about a few wire nuts? Got that in my kit. Crash and cut a wire, you have the wire and tape, but wire nuts make a really good connection compared to tape and twist. Battery solder iron would work though.

In the west, you'd just about be shot for not carrying any baling wire. I've done temporary spoke repair with wire, by bending the spoke and running wire through the flange hole. Won't work on the nipple end though.

So got spokes?

drewjet said:
So how about a picture of the whole bike?

Ok...
Have chain breaker at home, so will add to kit...
Wire nuts are in with the spare connectors already.

I will post a pic of the entire bike once I have the aluminum battery box setup with my Sub/amp and neon...

Should be ready by Christmas..

If you really want a pic of it in it's current state.. (Being worked on), I'll be happy to provide, it just don't look "pretty" at all, right now.

Here is it's current (being worked on and charging) state.....

1d9b2c1c.jpg

And here is the before...

323e007f.jpg

When I'm done, you won't see the wires easily, the rear will have a diamond plate aluminum box (instead of the "file folder"/battery box) and my radio, sub, amp and neon connected...
Just wait for the AFTER!!

Hey, that black duct tape battery sitting there with the battery cable coming out of the top kinda looks like an engine with a spark plug wire. You said you have 2nd battery pack? Maybe you could arrange them in a V format like a Harley engine or even make a fiberglass enclosure shaped like that. It would be a perfect place to put all that weight too. Nice lookin bike! 8)

edcastrovalley said:
Hey, that black duct tape battery sitting there with the battery cable coming out of the top kinda looks like an engine with a spark plug wire. You said you have 2nd battery pack? Maybe you could arrange them in a V format like a Harley engine or even make a fiberglass enclosure shaped like that. It would be a perfect place to put all that weight too. Nice lookin bike! 8)

I'm thinking of taking the old plastic "v twin" battery case and clearing it out to encase the battery in the middle (with a little splitting and rewiring), but that will be A LOT of work.. Don't know what I'm gonna do... I might have someone make me a diamond plate aluminum box for the center... I'm not sure yet.
There is NO way a second battery would fit in that center area.. The batts are just too big. I can barely fit that battery and controller in that spot already.

And a little teaser video of my directionals at night...
You can't tell but the rear directionals are actually arrows.
http://i980.photobucket.com/albums/ae285/sangesf/0166832c.mp4

Back