Trail flat, an unexpected problem.

I coulda used a can today, but I prefer just to replace tube.

georgefromvt said:
I carry a can of tire inflator, works OK providing leak isn't too large.
https://www.amazon.com/Ultra-Bike-Tire-Inflator-Sealer/dp/B004LAVFT0/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8
Inflator sealer.jpg

markz said:
And I see darker dirt around the spoke holes, spoke prep perhaps.

In a thorough wheel build, you lubricate both the spoke threads and the nipples where they engage the rim. If you do the latter, dust will wick up the lubricant at the spoke holes over time. It's a sign of human intervention.

Crossing the spokes over the valve hole is very non-pro. It's normal for department store "bikes". Faux pas in other contexts.

markz said:
Not sure what happened, didnt bother to keep tube to find out, but maybe I should have actually now that I think of it.

Ha. I can't recall the last time I tossed a tube. All tubes come home for repair. Its one of those relaxing little chores that I kinda like when I can pick when to do it. :^)

wturber said:
Ha. I can't recall the last time I tossed a tube. All tubes come home for repair. Its one of those relaxing little chores that I kinda like when I can pick when to do it. :^)

Saves money! I dunno I think its more psychological for me to throw a new tube in.

markz said:
wturber said:

Saves money! I dunno I think its more psychological for me to throw a new tube in.

It's kinda funny. As a practical matter the few dollars saved probably aren't noticeable in the grand scheme. I guess it's just a habit of not liking to "waste" useful stuff. It's probably the first step toward becoming a hoarder.

I generally don't patch on the road. I carry a spare tube (maybe two on a long trip) that is either new, or patched and known to be good and I install that if I get a flat. I carry a patch kit just in case its a bad day for flats.

wturber said:
Ha. I can't recall the last time I tossed a tube. All tubes come home for repair.

All my tubes come home, too, but lately not to patch them, I just use them as a superior substitute for a bungie cord. You can stretch one moderately tight and put a half hitch in it, and it will hold - the static friction is incredible - and there's no steel hook to snap up and poke your eye out. Also make an acceptable (though not great) handlebar tape, handy gasket material to protect paint, etc.

I'll patch them if the hole isn't right at the valve stem, but sadly, that's where the last couple have been. In the distant past, I've been able to patch them without even removing the tire, just pull out the leaky part of the tube and patch it, and stuff it back in. Crossing my fingers that flats on the DD hub wheel will be of that nature.

Back