• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

help with BMS S12SN controller

encinitas

10 mW
Hello,

I recently received a S12SN controller from BMS Battery and thought I'd have an easy time swapping out the KU163 controller that came with my Q11 motor, but alas, tis not so.

I had a lot of help from several folks when I did the original setup and was hoping to call on their knowledge again to get it rewired and up and running.

It's a simple setup--just motor, controller, and throttle, and on the old controller, I inserted a toggle ignition switch.

I'm unable to locate the ignition wire on the new controller. It also came with a thumb throttle with what looks like an ignition switch, but I can't figure out where those wires go.

I'm hoping you folks with lots of BMS experience can guide me once again. I'm much better at riding than wiring.

It sounds like you forgot to order the LCD, which is an essential part of the system. It has the switch to switch on/off too. All the settings for the controller are in the LCD.

Ah, I see. I ran my previous setup without the display, but they sent the S-series controller because the one I ordered was out of stock ... D8veh, do you recommend one of the S-series controllers over the others? I know you've done a lot with BMS systems.

The ignition is on the lcd connection. If you have or are going to get the lcd you can place a switch inline with the v+ to act as ignition (red wire). If you don't have lcd and your motor is compatible with the standard settings of the controller (assuming the controller is preloaded with standard settings without initialization of lcd), you can place a switch to v+ (red wire) and the ignition lock wire (blue wire). You will need to ground out the Rx line as well (black wire to yellow wire).

So I have the LCD now. I'm still not getting the system to function.I've connected the LCD and tried to switch on, but I can't get the LCD to stay illuminated for more than a fraction of a second. I put a multimeter on the power wire that goes from the controller to the LCD, and there is voltage.

Let me ask, is the PAS sensor also mandatory with the sine wave controller? I thought maybe without peddle input, the controller and LCD may not start to function.

The original setup was the BMS Q11 with an on/off toggle switch that I jury-rigged and a thumb throttle. The bike is an old schwinn tandem and the bottom bracket setup wasn't compatible with a PAS sensor.

Any suggestions to get this bike back up and running would be greatly appreciated!

Back