Help with controller and display combination.

I need help trying to find a good combination controller and display that work together.

I am putting them on a Xtreme Folding Bike XB310Li.

This bike is a mediocre bike, but I like it and would like a good controller/display. The bike is rated at 24 volts, but I have run it at 36 volts and it does fine.

I purchased a combination from Aliexpress; 24V/36V/48V 250W/350W Electric Bicycle Controller with LCD Display Panel E-bike Electric Bike Scooter Brushless Controller (https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32907301576.html).

I ran it at 24 volts and get error messages: 10 and 30 and communication icon, it will sort of work it I turn it on and immediately start pedaling it will kick in and work. If I hit the TAG/PAS button it will stop working and throw and error code. I have tried a number of different things to try a a work around, but the aliexpress controller and display don't seem to play well together and from other posts I have read on this website, it seems to be a common problem. I have also used 36 volt battery and told the system that it is 36 volts, but get similar errors. It will only work in PAS and the throttle has no effect, (Positive and negative and signal are correct).

I have emailed Grin technologies (they discourage phone calls on their website) and have not had a reply.

Has anybody, put together a good combination. I would do cheap, but would also do expensive (CYCLE ANALYST) if I know that the controller and display will work together.

You should get the controller and display as a "kit"; if you don't, the likelihood of htem working together is low. (but because of procurement methods and whatnot by various vendors, there isn't a *guarantee* that the "kit" will work together, though it is much more likely than if you get them separately).

THere are many protocols and firmware sets for various controllers and displays, and you can run into problems even running the same brand of stuff together if they aren't specifically kitted together, if one has a different firmware version than another. It might "work" to display some information, but be unable to use the buttons or settings to alter controller behavior, and be unable to display other information. Or it might not even display anything at all that the cntroller sends it, or display garbage data.

At a guess, this is why the unit you have now doesn't work right--the displays and controllers they have probably didn't come to them in paired kits, but rather from separate sources, or separate batches, so the firmware doesn't match and they don't properly talk to each other. (it could also be wiring faults or connector problems).

If you use KT Kunteng Kun Teng controllers and their LCD displays, then there is open source firmware by Casainho, Stancecoke, et al., that can replace the OEM firmware and give you more features, but you do still have to get compatible hardware. See the various threads about that OSFW for more info, or go to Github to find the projects and software/etc.

The Cycle Analyst is not a display for a controller, but it is rather a "master system controller" itself, with it's own display, that can either just display information, or be used to control or limit the system via the controller's throttle input, by feeding all the control signals (throttle, PAS, ebrake, current shunt, voltage, etc) into it, and setting it up to do what you want the system to do. It is complex to setup some systems, as various settings are interdependent, but there are guides on the CA info pages on http://ebikes.ca on how to do this. There are also threads here on ES (like teh CA v3 beta thread) with many discussions of it's various features and setup options.

So the CA will work with ANY controller, because it doesn't talk to the controller at all. As long as you get the Stand Alone (SA) model, it doesn't even need a "CA connector" on the controller. I recommend the CA-SA with separate Wheel Speed Sensor, as it is completely independent of motor and controller, other than whatever throttle/etc connections you choose to make to have it do whatever you want the setup to do.

Back