Help with proportional regen and speedo setup on Cycle Analyst V3

Ok, I tried some different values for Min Throt Output and Throt Output During Ebrake.

Other settings held constant:
- zero throttle threshold 1.01
- full throttle threshold 4.11
- fault throttle threshold 4.61
- max throttle output 3.81

Observations

Set Ebrake Throt Out to 0
- at Min Throt Output of 0.65, 0.6, 0.5, and lower, regen works
- at Min Throt Output of 0.75 and higher, regen does not work
- at Min Throt Output of 0.7, the wheel immediately starts rocking back and forth a fraction of a degree forward and backward, about 4 Hz I'd say, (and does so after the CA is switched off and back on) until that setting is changed

Set Ebrake Throt Out to 0.6
- at Min Throt Output of 0.68 and lower, regen works
- at Min Throt Output of 0.7, the wheel immediately starts rocking back and forth a fraction of a degree forward and backward, about 4 Hz, (and does so after the CA is switched off and back on) until that setting is changed (this also happened at 0.69 V, but didn't want to try too many other values in case it's harmful)

For now, I've left Min Throt Output at 0.5 and Ebrake Throt Out at 0; regen is working. Is that sensible?

hieronymus said:
Other settings held constant:
- zero throttle threshold 1.01
- full throttle threshold 4.11
- fault throttle threshold 4.61
- max throttle output 3.81

Observations

Set Ebrake Throt Out to 0
- at Min Throt Output of 0.65, 0.6, 0.5, and lower, regen works
<snip>
Set Ebrake Throt Out to 0.6
- at Min Throt Output of 0.68 and lower, regen works
That's wierd. It shouldn't behave that way. :?

Just to be absolutely sure, you *do* have Enable Proportional Regen set to Yes, in the Ebrake Settings menu? (you state taht it is in the first post, but want to make sure it is still set that way).

If that is set to Yes (enabled), then the CA will automatically deal with creating voltages lower than 0.8v down to 0.0v, when you use the throttle to control the braking force after having pulled the brake lever. (and if you ahve the lever set to provide a voltage below 0.8v it will automatically do that when you pull it).

If that is set to No (disabled), then the CA will not change the throttle voltage when you pull the brake lever, it will leave it wherever it is from the actual throttle position.

I use Ebrake Throt Out of 0.79v, so it starts at no braking, and as I apply more throttle, I get more and more braking. (Mine is however setup to use a cable-pulled throttle via the brake lever, and has relays activated by the ebrake switch to A) tell the CA it is in braking mode, B) to switch the CA's throttle input from the regular throttle to the COT the brake lever pulls, and C) to engage a brake light setup...but it still works the same way as if just using the regular throttle to vary the proportional regen).

- at Min Throt Output of 0.7, the wheel immediately starts rocking back and forth a fraction of a degree forward and backward, about 4 Hz I'd say, (and does so after the CA is switched off and back on) until that setting is changed
<snip>
- at Min Throt Output of 0.7, the wheel immediately starts rocking back and forth a fraction of a degree forward and backward, about 4 Hz, (and does so after the CA is switched off and back on) until that setting is changed (this also happened at 0.69 V, but didn't want to try too many other values in case it's harmful)
If you're doing the testing with the wheel offground, it shouldn't be harmful.

When Min Throt Output is above the controller's minimum throttle input voltage, then it will begin activating the motor. For the present versions of the Grinfineon, that should be around 0.9v according to the manual on the grin site (max input is at 3.6v, and fault is at 4v). So the controller should not be activating the motor *at all* at 0.7v, and should in fact be activating the brake.

When you had 0.7v as the Min Throt Output setting value, what was the actual throttle output, on the diagnostic screen (first screen to the left of the main screen), with the throttle sitting idle, and as you rolled it up from zero to...whatever point? (without engaging the brake lever)

On my 4835 Grinfineon it actually takes almost 1.4v to begin throttling up, so I use 1.2v as my Min Throt Output setting.

You can find out what your actual minimum is by setting the CA throttle input mode to PassThru, setting the Min Throt Out to 0.0v, exiting setup, and then watching the diagnostic screens' Throttle in and Out values while very slowly increasing throttle until the motor just barely begins to spin or make any kind of noise. That is then the minimum input needed, so around 0.2v below that is a good Min Throt Output setting.

For now, I've left Min Throt Output at 0.5 and Ebrake Throt Out at 0; regen is working. Is that sensible?
Well, unless there's something different about the firmware or hardware you have there, then AFAIK Ebrake Throt Out set to zero will engage full regen as soon as you pull the brake, so you don't get any proportional control via the throttle while holding the brake lever.

And the Min Throt Output being set below the actual minimum controller input value (whcih should be 0.9v for yours) just ensures you have no controller activity when there is no throttle usage...but being at 0.5v means it should actualy be in regen mode as soon as you let go of the throttle, somewhere near half power of braking. Anything below 0.8v should activate braking, the lower in voltage, the greater the braking power. (assuming the ebrake lever is engaged)

If that isn't happening for your setup, then I don't know what is wrong. :? We might have to have you write down all your CA settings, then do a Reset of the CA settings, then re-input your settings manually to see if that fixes something that might be corrupt. (I've only ever had to do this once, but it worked to fix a really wierd set of behaviors I was getting, several years ago).

Looking at the weird rocking back and forth phenomenon at 0.7 V min throt output:
- the rocking is accompanied by a clunking sound, at the same tempo
- the sound, and the actual rocking action, don't occur when the actual throttle output is over 0.7 V
- strangely, the clunking sound starts again when the throttle lever is released, even before the wheel comes to a halt :?

The actual throttle output when the wheel starts to move is 1.38 V.

I went ahead and reset the CA and observed the following:

When Min Throt Output is 0.8:
- and Ebrake Throt Out is 0.8, 0.7, 0.6, or 0.5, there is no regen

When Min Throt Output is 0.65:
- and Ebrake Throt Out is 0.65 or lower, regen works

I've now left Min Throt Output at 0.6 (to avoid the weird rocking & clunking phenomenon at 0.7) and Ebrake Throt Out at 0.6. Regen is working though, so there doesn't seem to be a problem... but am I missing something important here?

Just to be absolutely sure, you *do* have Enable Proportional Regen set to Yes, in the Ebrake Settings menu?

Btw, yes, proportional regen was enabled at all points along this odyssey...

I'll have to think about it for a while, because I don't see why it would behave like this.

It should work fine with the actual throttle minimum being just below (tenth or two of a volt) whatever the controller requires to activate it (but above the 0.8v the controller starts braking at), usually about 1.2v, and the ebrake throttle out at 0.8 or 0.79, etc.

You don't state what happens when you set the Min Throt Output to 1.2v, only 0.8v and 0.65v and 0.6v. Just to be sure, has that been tested yet after the CA reset?

I am a little confused, though: you note that the rocking/sound doesn't happen when the actual throttle output is over 0.7v, but you then say you set Min Throt Output to 0.6v to prevent it...which doesn't make sense. You would have to set Min Throt Output to at least 0.71v to ensure the actual throttle output is (except during regen) always over 0.7v?

AFAICT from the settings you're having to use, the system would immediately begin applying regen braking as soon as the brake lever is pulled, and not wait for you to start using the throttle to engage it and control it's strength. At 0.65v, that's around a third or more of the full braking strength.

(then you would be able to use the throttle to increase that strength, causing the CA to output a throttle voltage decreasing from 0.65v at throttle off position down to 0v at max throttle position).

Is that what is happening?

Can you attach a saved file from the CA setup program, of your present settings, so I can look at them in the CA setup program here? Then I can try creating a test setup for you from those settings, to try some different things out, and you can post the results of the tests.

When Min Throt Output is 1.2V and Ebrake Throt Output is 0.8 or lower, the wheel gradually comes to a stop with no regen when the throttle is released, and comes to a halt under regen when the ebrake tripwire sensor is triggered.

Making the above observation, I'm wondering if there was some misunderstanding/miscommunication on my part. My intuition/expectation would be, roughly, that as the throttle lever is released, the motor would progressively ease off, and as the lever is further released, it would reach a point where proportional regen would start to kick in, and the amount of regen braking would increase progressively as the lever is further released, until the lever is fully released, when maximum regen braking would occur. Is this correct?

In any case, with the current settings of Min Throt Output at 0.6 and Ebrake Throt Out at 0.6, the regen triggered by the ebrake tripwire works as expected, and the regen that occurs when the throttle is released works more or less as expected, though it seems to be all-or-nothing rather than a proportional regen.

I've attached a file of the current CA settings if you're interested (I couldn't upload it as a .hex so I just changed the extension to .txt).View attachment CA setup hieronymus 29mar2021.txt

hieronymus said:
When Min Throt Output is 1.2V and Ebrake Throt Output is 0.8 or lower, the wheel gradually comes to a stop with no regen when the throttle is released, and comes to a halt under regen when the ebrake tripwire sensor is triggered.
That would be normal. If you set the ETO to less than 0.8, then using the lever will trigger regen at that fixed level. Lower voltage will be greater braking force.

Making the above observation, I'm wondering if there was some misunderstanding/miscommunication on my part. My intuition/expectation would be, roughly, that as the throttle lever is released, the motor would progressively ease off, and as the lever is further released, it would reach a point where proportional regen would start to kick in, and the amount of regen braking would increase progressively as the lever is further released, until the lever is fully released, when maximum regen braking would occur. Is this correct?
Unfortunately it does not work this way, though the manual does not clarify the actual operating usage. (simply states that the braking force can be further increased by the throttle, in a way that makes it sound like it should work like you expected. :( )

The way it actually works is that the throttle lever position must be *increased* to increase braking force beyond whatever is preset at the ETO for brake-lever-only braking force.

To use proportional regen with the CA as "interpreter", you pull the brake lever first to activate the mode, and then the entire range of the throttle controls braking force just like it would motor power, where letting go of the throttle creates no braking force beyond whatever ETO is set to, and max throttle creates max braking force.

Since I don't like this, as it is not intuitive (as you found ;) ), and it is not how your muscles are trained to use these controls in non-thinking emergency situations, I did this:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=105460&hilit=proportional+regen
to simply use the brake lever as the entire control system. It works perfectly.

My ETO is set to 0.79, and my MTO is set to 1.2v, IIRC, because I do not want any initial lever-created braking force, I want full control from zero to full braking.

I have no mechanical rear brakes (just the regen) on the SB Cruiser trike (until someday I can rebuild the whole backend to accomodate them), so the cable from the left lever pulls a cable operated throttle (COT) that "replaces" the actual throttle (which is another COT pulled by a cable from a metal ATV thumb throttle, since all the plastic ones suck). The process is that I pull the brake lever just a little, which has the ebrake switch in it. That switch then turns on three relays. The first relay is the brake light. The second disconnects the actual throttle signal wire from the CA, and connects that CA signal input to the brake-lever-pulled COT's signal wire. The third engages the ebrake line into the CA to tell the CA it is now in proportional regen mode, and the CA outputs the ETO value (in my case, 0.79v, so there is essentialy no braking force). Now as I pull the brake lever further, the COT voltage increases and the CA decreases the throttle output signal, until at max lever pull the output is 0.0v for max braking force.

A cheap dual-pull lever with separate cable adjusters, and a magnet and reed switch glued to the lever and body, or the Tripwire or equivalent, would work for this system and be able to pull a mechanical cable brake as well as the COT for variable regen, and they could be adjusted for tension so that regen force is greater than mechanical force at the start of lever travel, and once regen is maxed out then the rest of the travel is mechanical in case you need both kinds of brakes.

The ATV throttle I use has dual-pull separate adjusters, *and* a built in switch, but it's cable-pull ratio is insufficient for my Avid BB7 MTN type brakes (it might work fine for the Road version) I use on the front wheel, so I am not presently using the COT regen control on the right lever for all-wheel braking, just on the left for rear-only braking, until I eitehr get a Road version of the BB7 to try out or make a pulley (like the Travel Agent in reverse) to modify the cable-pull ratio.

A different system could be used, with a potentiometer-based throttle, to create a detent on it that "catches" it at the 0.8v level and holds it there, so that you must deliberately push it down past that point to start proportional regen braking, and hook this throttle to the controller's throttle port directly, rather than go thru the CA. However, you will get very little travel for that tiny voltage range with a typical pot, so you would need to use a logarithmic pot instead, and make sure it's wired and mechanically setup so the least amount of resistance change is at the low end, and the greatest is at the full-throttle end, so you get more travel per volt at the low end for this braking function.

However, that means you can't use any of the CA's limiting functions or PAS/torque sensors, as they all require the controller get it's throttle signal from the CA itself. (it could be done, but is significantly more complex to design and build the system so that the controller sees both throttle controls, after a fashion).

Thanks for clearing up how the proportional regen actually works. Definitely counter-intuitive. I like the sound of the setup you have; I don't need to go there quite yet but good to know it's an option. Thanks for the detailed explanation, I'll definitely come back to this. And thanks again for the help!

Back