Hobo Board - 10S - Dual 63mm motors

onloop

10 kW
Normally i pride myself on making professional looking custom made eboards..... not this time.

So my own eboard got dismantled for parts at the end of last year... which didn't bother me because i didn't really have time to ride anyway with moving house & looking after my one year old boy....

But after a few months of not having a working board i was starting to come up with plenty of good reasons to go riding instead of driving places...And i also had some motors from a new factory to try and a 10S3P 18650 Li-ion battery samples lying around that needed some more testing...

so i grab some trucks and a deck and start building.... but then i realise... how to attach the stuff to the skateboard deck?...normally i would use custom made aluminium housings but literally haven't had the chance to design them for this new battery...and have also been looking at using carbon fiber instead of aluminium anyway.......so with no way to secure these parts to the deck... i thought i will just have to think outside the box & use what's laying around...

Black cling wrap used for packaging? yeah lets use that!

20150317-184623.jpg

SO LET ME INTRODUCE - HOBO BOARD

STEP #1 hot glue & double sided tape stuff directly to the deck
20150314-141259.jpg

use some cardboard for battery padding / protection
20150314-141958.jpg

20150314-142206.jpg

STEP #2 wrap deck in several layers of cling wrap & apply some heat to shrink it tight
20150314-145419.jpg

STEP #3 attached trucks and mount motors
20150314-151111.jpg

20150314-151232.jpg

20150314-151248.jpg

STEP #4 put grip tape on over the cling wrap..
20150317-183459.jpg

STEP #5 charge batteries using simple one plug charger... SO EASY!
20150316-123236.jpg

Some cool facts about HOBO board....
1. The battery capacity is huge.... i rode for 50 mins and only got down to 36V.. this pack starts at 41v and is depleted at about 32V.... so i was at abut 50% capacity after 50mins!.... i love these new batteries!
2. lightweight & super slim... nothing lighter & thinner than cling wrap!
3. this beast is geared to do 37mph!

Awesome! Pretty stuff is good and fine but getting out to ride is where its at! Sweet set up. Hope to see those battery packs up on your sight soon.

love it mate that is gold. good way to test a setup before making it permanent.. its not going to be perm is it? :shock:
next upgrade bread bag ties for cable management :D

agraham said:
I would never use that top speed so I'd take more torque instead.

yeah me either... its way over geared...

the problem was i had these 6354 250kv motors laying around, which are perfect for 6S... but on 10S its top speed is definitely too fast.... 45kms is about as fast as i would ever want to go on public streets...

the interesting thing is though... the torque is still crazy good! so with high voltage you end up with same (or similar) torque + plus high speed as well... these motors are not even getting warm

206monkey32 said:
Awesome! Pretty stuff is good and fine but getting out to ride is where its at! Sweet set up. Hope to see those battery packs up on your sight soon.

yeah everyone wants these battery packs!... i am speaking with the factory now about how to make them smaller, cheaper, (maybe even flexible) and with some other extra built in features.

i totally screwed my calculations... this thing is geared to go 40 mph.... :shock: that is when battery is fully charged of course... but the cool thing with this battery it stays around 41 - 42 volts for about 10-15 mins not stop riding.

4wheels said:
Where did you find the batteries?
cost?

Sweet build though.

I have a battery factory that makes batteries to my specifications.... im currently working on some high performance batteries specifically designed for eboard builders.

> they are super slim, so people can easily make a streamlined DIY eboard.
> they will be flexible, so could be installed onto a deck that flexes.
> they will have built in on/off switch
> they will have built in power gauge & voltage meter
> they will have BMS built-in that fully manages the charging and balancing of all cells... the BMS also has LVC & HVC so you cannot ruin the battery.
> they use single port laptop style charger.

BShady said:
I couod defenitly use a battery pack like that!! Are you going to make them for 6s as well?

these batteries are amazing...

this is the record i took during testing

I recorded the battery voltage at 10min intervals during a non stop ride (except when i stop to measure battery)

ZERO min: 42v
10 min: 40v
20 min: 38.24v
30 min: 37.3v
40 min: 36.3v
50 min: 35.6
60 min: 34.3?
70 min: 33.3?
80 min: 32.3?

the blue time is just a guess at what this pack could do.

this battery can be safely discharged to 30V which is controlled by the BMS. However i set the ESC to have LVC at 32 Volts

Of course with voltage sag you might trigger the LVC sooner, voltage sag is minimized when you have big capacity pack with quality high discharge batteries and low current draw.

I dont think i will make these as 6S, higher voltage just makes more sense for electric skateboards. lower amp draws, less heat in motors, less heat everywhere!, better for batteries, more efficient system.. 10S is perfect IMHO

With the VESC becoming available soon, everyone could afford to have a quality high voltage ESC.... then you just need high quality battery.

Nobuo said:
This is the best and clean building I've seen. Congratulations. What kind of battery configuration you could install in that dock?

thanks for the compliments..... my intent originally was just to make a board quickly & cheaply with what i had laying around... mainly to test some samples i had.

would i agree the this is a "clean" looking build... maybe not quite... it looks "good from far, far from good"

but since building this i have definitely got some cool new ideas that might improve this wrapping components to deck design/concept... stay tuned

Nice one Onloop!

Here is my interpretation. I didn't feel like having the cling wrap on the top so I used some wooden rails to clamp it down.
Worlkflow was to route the board flat on the CNC router, then battery in and wrap it a few times.

Apply the rails and cut the top part of the wrap of.

Works really nice. Next time I like to have black wrap and some sort of nice looking rails instead of the wonky cut wood.

Well, for a 20 minute hack I'm happy. The main point I wanted to proof is that the rails are able to hold the cling wrap in place and I don't need to go over the top of the board.

HAHA... nice work

THIS IS THE TRUE HOBO BOARD!

but my build required no tools to mount deck components...

just wrap it!

for yours you need tools for cutting & drilling! not to mention additional materials...

onloop said:
HAHA... nice work

THIS IS THE TRUE HOBO BOARD!

but my build required no tools to mount deck components...

just wrap it!

for yours you need tools for cutting & drilling! not to mention additional materials...

Is this EW Superglider deck?

How many miles have you put on this board now? Is the ESC still alive?

Back