HolyBike video

efMX Trials Electric Freeride said:
yeah,
thought some ebikers might want to comment for more balance?? ..
good to see ebikes getting more main stream cycle press though!
also nice bike ;)

Thanks, I did leave a comment, but I think it's pending approval or something. :?

my reply

Bicycle haters will hate bicycles, motor or not.. these ebikes are NOTHING like a gas burning motor, ( 1hp = 750w ) , no fumes, very little noise, a bit heavier but not going to rut up trails.... All those of you who hating and post negative comments, and have never tried one, you have no clue. Show some respect to others and keep an open mind to alternative ways of transportation and fun.. falls in the same category as racism and bullying... don't hate what you don't understand !.

Ypedal said:
my reply

Bicycle haters will hate bicycles, motor or not.. these ebikes are NOTHING like a gas burning motor, ( 1hp = 750w ) , no fumes, very little noise, a bit heavier but not going to rut up trails.... All those of you who hating and post negative comments, and have never tried one, you have no clue. Show some respect to others and keep an open mind to alternative ways of transportation and fun.. falls in the same category as racism and bullying... don't hate what you don't understand !.

I guess the site mods there didn't like my reply. :(

When bikes were first invented I bet the people walking down the streets at the time would scream "CHEATER!" at the cyclists they saw passing by...

Whether it is horses, chariots, bicycles, cars, motorcycles, scooters, skateboards, etc. ALL transportation is designed to surpass boundaries of human bi-pedal travel.

Eventually this transportation becomes standardized, categorized, and "sports" get created from it (dressage, racing, motocross, x-games, etc.). So when people react to ebikes like they are some kind abomination, they are just reacting to the fact that something exists outside the established categories they've become accustomed to. The funny thing is mountain bikers faced a similar reaction when they decided to take bikes off-road for the first time. :D

However IMO it is slightly hypocritical to complain about an "electric motor" when you're effectively riding a machine anyway. A machine that get's improved each year with the latest materials and designs to make these machines go faster... The fact is bicycles today are far better than they were say 30 years ago. Does it make you a "cheater" because you can go faster and farther on a modern high priced bike compared to something made in the 80's from Wal-Mart? They're all machines.

Sure I understand there is a certain level of satisfaction from knowing that your own muscles are the only thing supplying the energy for this machine to move and that it can feel good to make up a long hill/ride only using your muscles and endurance. Yes, your muscles and skill do play a big part, however in reality it's ALL only made possible because of modern bike technology (wheels, gears, etc.)

Personally I love my ebike because it allows me to have biking fun without limits. I can ride it when I'm energized or when I'm tired. I can ride for exercise or I can ride wearing business clothes to an office. I can ride for fun while carrying a full load of groceries and still not think twice about investigating what's over that hill. I don't have to bike on a mission I can just cruise and decide later.

oolong said:
When bikes were first invented I bet the people walking down the streets at the time would scream "CHEATER!" at the cyclists they saw passing by...

Whether it is horses, chariots, bicycles, cars, motorcycles, scooters, skateboards, etc. ALL transportation is designed to surpass boundaries of human bi-pedal travel.

Eventually this transportation becomes standardized, categorized, and "sports" get created from it (dressage, racing, motocross, x-games, etc.). So when people react to ebikes like they are some kind abomination, they are just reacting to the fact that something exists outside the established categories they've become accustomed to. The funny thing is mountain bikers faced a similar reaction when they decided to take bikes off-road for the first time. :D

However IMO it is slightly hypocritical to complain about an "electric motor" when you're effectively riding a machine anyway. A machine that get's improved each year with the latest materials and designs to make these machines go faster... The fact is bicycles today are far better than they were say 30 years ago. Does it make you a "cheater" because you can go faster and farther on a modern high priced bike compared to something made in the 80's from Wal-Mart? They're all machines.

Sure I understand there is a certain level of satisfaction from knowing that your own muscles are the only thing supplying the energy for this machine to move and that it can feel good to make up a long hill/ride only using your muscles and endurance. Yes, your muscles and skill do play a big part, however in reality it's ALL only made possible because of modern bike technology (wheels, gears, etc.)

Personally I love my ebike because it allows me to have biking fun without limits. I can ride it when I'm energized or when I'm tired. I can ride for exercise or I can ride wearing business clothes to an office. I can ride for fun while carrying a full load of groceries and still not think twice about investigating what's over that hill. I don't have to bike on a mission I can just cruise and decide later.

Maybe all the people bad mouthing e-bikes ride steel frame fixies with no brakes. GEARS AND FREEWHEELS ARE CHEATING! What do you need suspension for? I have elbows and knees for that! :evil:

does it really makes sense to discuss with people that hate a machine ? how do you call them in english, luddite ?

skyungjae said:
Maybe all the people bad mouthing e-bikes ride steel frame fixies with no brakes. GEARS AND FREEWHEELS ARE CHEATING! What do you need suspension for? I have elbows and knees for that! :evil:

bicycle-history-2.jpg

Everything else.......... IS CHEATING! :p

OMG... That was a shocking amount of ignorance to all fit into a single article.

I loved this line:

"“Personally, I wouldn’t want to see them on the trail,” he said. “Even though they’re electric, they still make noise and they have the potential to go faster than what some people can handle, especially on crowded multi-use trails."

Lately, I've been riding mildly downhill single track (not just dropping off cliffs type downhill, just winding paths through the forest that slope downhill gently) on my lightweight 700c tiny wheel road bike. OMG, this is so much more dangerous than any 5-10kw ebike experience I've ever had, and the speed you gain due to kinetic energy from gravity is just madness. It's like constantly doing all you can to slow this bike on terrible roadbike brakes while it's bouncing down singletrack each root just sending the little smooth 700c tires for a kick or slide off nearly every bump.

People who think because a bicycle isn't powered that you can't very rapidly attain dangerous speeds on a trail due to gravity are mind-blowingly stupid. Also, I think you could turn out a group of cyclists on copies of my road bike into the trail system and have a hell of a lot more serious injuries than you would with any of the electric bikes they showed in that article, which are great and fun, but ultimately no more dangerous than the 50cc dirtbike my buddies 6 year old daughter rides on trails like a champ.

As a guy that rode an e-bike that peaked at 24kw and would run 8kw for a few minutes at a time, I too can attest to the awesomeness of the force of gravity. In fact, I can't remember ever touching the throttle once the downhill slope exceeded 5% grade. I've gone faster on my old non powered downhill bike than
I ever went on my ebike and guess what..... I never hurt or inconvenienced anyone on either. The comments there just display the closed mindedness and ignorance that's plaguing humanity right now. Unfortunately, its no surprise to me.

DH mountain biking is imposible were i live THERE ARE NO MOUNTAINS but now i can hit any track and not have to rely on gravity for a fun ride (THATS WHY I DO IT) :twisted:

yeah i was basically horrified to read that my buddy IMBA has decided to pre-emptively exclude ebikers from the trails..
and apparently without even asking us for any input.. IMBA: the new sierra club??? :evil: :roll:

liveforphysics said:

OMG... That was a shocking amount of ignorance to all fit into a single article.

yeah i was basically horrified to read that my buddy IMBA has decided to pre-emptively exclude ebikers from the trails..
and apparently without even asking us for any input.. IMBA: the new sierra club??? :evil: :roll:

liveforphysics said:

Well, at least a handful of those responses are sensible.

Back