How can I charge my E-bike useing a inverter

rider95

1 kW
HI my E-bike works great love trail riding with it when I first started riding I could only do one loop of about 3.5 mi I would take a brake , then do 2 more loops . Now I can ride the whole 12.5 ah 52v pack out in one ride of about 12 trail mi, so I bought a 400 watt inverter so I could recharge my bike with it in my van , then get another ride in with a fresh charged battery but the inverter won't work with my battery charger . Why won't it??? And how can I do this ? I plan to get a fast charger so I can recharge my bike with it sitting in the back of my van I can then get another afternoon ride in .

It should work. There are also lots of chargers that will take a 12VDC input straight from a car's electrical system.

It may help if you say what inverter and charger you are using...

post the make and model number of your inverter and the make and model number of you battery charger.

A couple of clear pictures that are in focus could help. Just make sure the file size of the picts are less then 500kb so you can post them here.

:D

Get an rc charger they are designed to work off of slay batteries to begin with....You might need to add another sla or a bigger alternator :?

Its a Schumacher 410 continuous watts model X141B my battery is a HPC 52v 12.5 ah using there standard 2 amp charger takes 3.5 hr to recharge , I am looking to get a fast charger and am wanting to charge my bike using a inverter to do so .

I charge my EM3EV 52v pack with the supplied charger off our motorhome with no problems, it is a PSW 1800w inverter backed up by a 400ah lithium battery bank and 500w of solar though.

rider95 said:
Its a Schumacher 410 continuous watts model X141B my battery is a HPC 52v 12.5 ah using there standard 2 amp charger takes 3.5 hr to recharge , I am looking to get a fast charger and am wanting to charge my bike using a inverter to do so .

Your schumacher may not have enough surge capacitance to kick into working. What happens when you plug everything in and turn your battery charger on?

Also, are you using it on a fully charged battery or a battery in a car that is running? Are you using on your cigarette lighter plug?

:D

I have a charger that works perfectly on a pure sine wave inverter, but will not work on a square wave or modified square wave inverters. It powers up, and looks like it's working, but doesn't actually charge.

Could be possible that your charger is the same. I'm not sure why chargers should be so picky, to be honest, shouldn't they just be a voltage regulator and a diode/rectifier? I'm no electronics expert.

I blew up my Engal Fridge charger using an inverter that wasnt a pure sine wave inverter because of the dirty electricity coming from my Modified Square wave inverter.

Maybe you need to find someone with a pure sine wave inverter and test your charger on that.

Thanks to those who answered my first post on this here is what HPC says about charging there Battery using a inverter,You need a pure sine wave inverter to charge your battery, don’t try to use any other type of inverter. You would need minimum 400W pure sine wave inverter for our 4A charger. Now what is a pure sine wave inverter ? and were do I find one ?

bowlofsalad said:
rider95 said:
What is a pure sine wave inverter? How do I find one?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=pure+sine+wave+inverter
:lol: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:

Why go through all the inefficiency trouble of going DC to AC to DC again? An RC charger like a hyperion runs on DC current and can charge up to 14s lithium?

wineboyrider said:
Why go through all the inefficiency trouble of going DC to AC to DC again? An RC charger like a hyperion runs on DC current and can charge up to 14s lithium?

he's right. the balancing chargers do the same thing as an inverter plus charger in one package.

rider95 said:
OK but what RC charger will charge my 52v 12.5 ah battery/?? that would be a better way to go
Any RC charger that can do 12s lithium off of a DC battery. The only way I would consider going the pure sine wave route was if you had other AC appliances that you want to use. This is exactly why people who live off of the grid with solar use DC appliances.

It seems that you do not accept to pay a professional to check your car and your gadgets.
No matter how many threads you are going to start the answer is one, visit a local cars electrician No having my van checked is not the answer just a waste of money and time . I will pursue the RC chargers makes a lot more sense then using a pure sine wave inverter , and having my van checked would tell me what LOL that it is producing 12v . That reminds me of when I took my bike to a Professional to bleed my new brakes because I didn't know how and didn't want to learn how easy just pay a Professional right??? . When I went to pick it up not only were my bakes no better then when I left it he said he had just what I needed then went on to give me a big sales pitch that I should buy a E-bike from him and showed me pic s of a A-28 24v step through little bike the guy has no ideal not a clue as to what I was trying to build and it was a waste of my time and money and he was the owner of DG Cycles on 86st in Indianapolis,IN a Professional

rider95 said:
It seems that you do not accept to pay a professional to check your car and your gadgets.
No matter how many threads you are going to start the answer is one, visit a local cars electrician No having my van checked is not the answer just a waste of money and time . I will pursue the RC chargers makes a lot more sense then using a pure sine wave inverter , and having my van checked would tell me what LOL that it is producing 12v . That reminds me of when I took my bike to a Professional to bleed my new brakes because I didn't know how and didn't want to learn how easy just pay a Professional right??? . When I went to pick it up not only were my bakes no better then when I left it he said he had just what I needed then went on to give me a big sales pitch that I should buy a E-bike from him and showed me pic s of a A-28 24v step through little bike the guy has no ideal not a clue as to what I was trying to build and it was a waste of my time and money and he was the owner of DG Cycles on 86st in Indianapolis,IN a Professional

i had to teach my old girlfriend about 'mechanic induced failure' because she believes in 'professional' help. not some dufous like me.

anyway, later she drove her car away from the repair shop and later it would not start. i drove to where she was and tightened the bolts so the car would start again. she filed a dispute on her credit card billing and won.

now she is aware of what she now calls 'MIF' and has had it nailed several times since. latest thing was that a mechanic left a cardboard box inside where it had fallen down around the alternator belt so they drove around for while with the noise coming from under the hood. took it back to the shop and the mechanic searched around and lo and behold, there was the box for the part he had replaced. duh!

Back